Too Old?

Old September 1st 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Too Old?

Gezellig wrote in news:6i0carFo8ma9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

There have been people in their 90s with commercial certificates. I know
someone who taught after he retired well into his 80s and continued to fly
into his 90s.
Then there's Bob Hoover and Duane Cole...

Bertie
Old September 1st 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ramsey

"Lou" wrote in message
On Aug 31, 4:43 pm, "Ramsey" @##@.^net wrote:
"gorgon" wrote in message

Let's see how many dumb ****s answer you.

Looks like at least one did.

Don't look now, but I didn't answer him, and neither did you.

Your still the only one to answer.
Lou

If you call that an answer, you're a dumb ass.

Old September 1st 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
JohnO

"gorgon" wrote in message

Let's see how many dumb ****s answer you.

Looks like at least one did.

Don't look now, but I didn't answer him, and neither did you.

Your still the only one to answer.
* * * *Lou

If you call that an answer, you're a dumb ass.

Just checking - did you answer him or not?
Old September 1st 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Aug 31, 3:13*pm, Gezellig wrote:
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

I'm still flying 70-80 hours a month at 72. I will keep on flying
until I bust a physical. Flying seems to keep me younger than my
contemporaries or is it my 2x week workouts in Aikido (2nd degree
black belt)? Perhaps its my 2 year old son?
Some people age quickly and some don't. I don't.
Old September 1st 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
On Aug 31, 3:13 pm, Gezellig wrote:
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

I'm still flying 70-80 hours a month at 72. I will keep on flying
until I bust a physical. Flying seems to keep me younger than my
contemporaries or is it my 2x week workouts in Aikido (2nd degree
black belt)? Perhaps its my 2 year old son?
Some people age quickly and some don't. I don't.

Hi Rocky; Seems we have something else in common. Judo for me, Nidan.
Played for years until I had to give it up after my surgeries. Loved
martial arts training.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 1st 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Gezellig wrote in news:6i0carFo8ma9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

There have been people in their 90s with commercial certificates. I know
someone who taught after he retired well into his 80s and continued to fly
into his 90s.
Then there's Bob Hoover and Duane Cole...

I know somebody who was Chief Pilot for Eastern and still flies at 92 --
then we had another old Eastern guy who died at 102 -- he was flying his
Bonanza until shortly before his death. Car rental companies wouldn't
rent to him because he was too old!

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Old September 1st 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Hell Orval, it took that long for some of us to get proficient :-)))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 1st 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Gezellig wrote in news:6i0carFo8ma9U1
@mid.individual.net:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed
in the drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be
considered in keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it
would prolly be illegal.

There have been people in their 90s with commercial certificates. I
know someone who taught after he retired well into his 80s and
continued to fly into his 90s.
Then there's Bob Hoover and Duane Cole...

I know somebody who was Chief Pilot for Eastern and still flies at 92
-- then we had another old Eastern guy who died at 102 -- he was
flying his Bonanza until shortly before his death. Car rental
companies wouldn't rent to him because he was too old!

I know quite a few pilots flying well into their 70s -- some in
high-performance planes.

Yeah, and why not. I think Pappy chalk operated commercially into his
80's, for instance.

OTOH, I know a pilot who died suddenly just the other day at 47...

A commercial one too...

Bertie
Old September 1st 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr

Ramsey wrote:

If you call that an answer, you're a dumb ass.

Boy, you sure contribute a lot to the discussion.
Bet you're proud when people google all your thoughtful contributions.
Why bother?
Old September 1st 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Zebulon

"Stella Starr" wrote in message
. ..
Ramsey wrote:

If you call that an answer, you're a dumb ass.

Boy, you sure contribute a lot to the discussion.
Bet you're proud when people google all your thoughtful contributions.
Why bother?

You call this a discussion.