GNS 530 for $1000?!?!? Am I Missing Something?

Old February 16th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default GNS 530 for $1000?!?!? Am I Missing Something?

I just saw this link on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-14-28V-GARMI...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not trying to assist in advertising, but I am wondering what the
catch is here. How can a new GNS530 be going for $1000???

Best Regards,
Todd

Old February 16th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In a previous article, "three-eight-hotel" said:

I just saw this link on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-14-28V-GARMI...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not trying to assist in advertising, but I am wondering what the
catch is here. How can a new GNS530 be going for $1000???

There are a lot of scammers on eBay. If somebody is selling a $10,000
product for $1000, you can be that either it's stolen, or you'll pay and
never recieve the until.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I would like to shake the hand of the man who first decided that e-mail
Old February 16th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I figured as much... I thought eBay was supposed to be pretty good at
keeping that stuff out of there.

I was just talking with a friend who said he came across something
similar but with stereo receivers. The guy wanted him to keep contact
limited to email and wanted him to Western Union money, rather than
deal with something like PayPal.

I guess they wouldn't be doing it, if there weren't people that would
bite???

Thanks Paul!

Todd

Old February 16th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
In a previous article, "three-eight-hotel" said:

I just saw this link on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-14-28V-GARMI...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not trying to assist in advertising, but I am wondering what the
catch is here. How can a new GNS530 be going for $1000???

There are a lot of scammers on eBay. If somebody is selling a $10,000
product for $1000, you can be that either it's stolen, or you'll pay and
never recieve the until.

&&&&&
unit.

Look at the seller's "other auctions". High end audio gear, high end
computers and digital cameras. All of them ridiculously cheap, and every
single one says "THIS IS THE BEST OFFERT YOU WILL FIND! PLEASE READ :" and
"5 UNITS IN STOCK READY TO BE SHIPPED!". What a coincidence that he has 5
of everything, eh?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"It is my prayer that other Americans will fully realize that to condone the
Old February 16th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

eBay might have caught on if you try to bid you get this...

Transaction Blocked
Sorry, this item may no longer be available.

Old February 16th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thought it might be a good idea to report it to eBay, as questionable,
and it looks like one of you beat me to it...

Best Regards,
Todd

================================================== ================================================
This listing (#7745050682) has been removed or is no longer available.
Please make sure you entered the right item number.

If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note:
Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on
eBay.

Try searching for another item now.

Marketplace Safety Tip

Never pay for your eBay item using instant cash transfer services such
as Western Union or MoneyGram or by recharging someone's prepaid credit
card. These methods are not safe to pay people you do not know
personally.

In addition, these payment methods are not eligible for the eBay buyer
protection programs.

Old February 16th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In a previous article, "three-eight-hotel" said:
I was just talking with a friend who said he came across something
similar but with stereo receivers. The guy wanted him to keep contact
limited to email and wanted him to Western Union money, rather than
deal with something like PayPal.

Scammers love Western Union so much that both Western Union and eBay tell
you never to pay strangers with it:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...-payments.html
http://www.westernunion.com/info/faq...country=global

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
You really know you're in trouble when your boss decides upon a suicide
Old February 16th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I thought eBay was supposed to be pretty good at keeping that stuff out of there.

They are, its already gone.

Old February 16th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Yup! I'm glad they are able to make it a little bit difficult for
scammers to make a buck! It's a bummer that you have to wade through
all of the scammer listings now to find a legitimate one! It's like
pop-ups, only worse... At least with pop-ups you can close the
windows, but with these, you actually have to take the time to read the
listing and make a decision on whether or not it's a scam.

Oh well....

Thanks!
Todd

Old February 16th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

These guys are pretty convincing! I haven't done an eBay transaction
in a while, so these scams (not scams in general) are new to me. I
hope I'm just naively surprised and that others aren't falling this!

I saw another add for a garmin 296, with 23 hours left and no bids on
it. The add looked professional and didn't have the "five at this
price" hoakiness about it. It was allegedly being sold from
California, and had all of the accessories. Another too good to be
true deal??? I sent an inquiry (using my GMail account), to confirm my
suspicions and got the following response.

I'm willing to sell it for $500 . At this time I am located in Romania
and I can only take the payment through Western Union money transfer. I
will ship within 24 hours from the payment using the UPS Air Services
so that you may receive the unit in less then 72 hours. For our
protection we will do this deal trough ebay square trade company and
our transaction will be supervised by ebay safe harbour team. You will
be 100% protected against description error and fraud. I never make any
deal outside ebay. I will pay the shipping and handling taxes.

Although, clearly a total scam... What's with the "eBay square trade
company", and the "eBay safe harbour team"? I haven't done any
research on this, but I'm assuming it's all out the window once you've
wired money Western Union?

I can certainly see people getting lulled in with a false sense of
security (not most people, but some)...

Bummer!!!

Best Regards,
Todd