Garmin takes over

Old February 28th 04, 03:08 AM
Richard Kaplan

wrote in message ...
speed. But, the owners of those early birds have been provided the option

upgrade the weaker components of the system without gutting the system.

Exactly.... at the cost and under the terms dictated solely by the original
maufacturer.

Look at all the non-Cessna modifications available for my P210 or look at
all the third party mods avilable for any other production airplane. Do
you wish Cessna were the sole source supplier of parts and modifications to
your Cessna airplane? Among other things, the cost of maintaining my
airplane would rise notably. Any airplane owner cringes when a mechanic
tells him a needed part is a Cessna-only or Beech-only item.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old February 28th 04, 03:12 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...

All modern jets have the same issue. It is a natural byproduct of
integration.

Exactly... Pilots who buy a Cessna 182 with the Garmin G1000 will pay jet
or turbine avionics support prices for a piston airplane.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old February 28th 04, 03:16 AM
Richard Kaplan

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
I doubt if the
complainers have so much as even seen one of the installations, let alone
tried to use it. When we get some people who know what they are talking
about, then maybe I will pay attention.

I didn't say I did not like it, just that I question the economic viability
long-term.

I suspect the initial owners will love the system now. They will probably
start to complain in 5 years when there is some new steam-gauge avionics
feature not in the G1000. Then they may really start to complain in 10 or
15 years when support gets harder and/or more expensive.

Bottom line: The G1000 may look and act terrific, but no doubt it is more
of an economic risk than buying an airplane with individual, modular
components in the panel. I would not want to risk 6 digits on that type of
uncertainty -- YMMV.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old February 28th 04, 03:19 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

as I said elsewhe Your theory doesn't hold. There's Avidyne, Chelton
and others.

Are their components modular? If Chelton adds a new feature to their glass
EFIS system can I install that feature in my Garmin G1000? Not more easily
than running Mac software on a PC.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old February 28th 04, 03:31 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
s.com...

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
I doubt if the
complainers have so much as even seen one of the installations, let

alone
tried to use it. When we get some people who know what they are talking
about, then maybe I will pay attention.

I didn't say I did not like it, just that I question the economic

viability
long-term.

The bottom rungs of the ladder are being cut off, you should be concerned.

Old February 28th 04, 04:28 PM
Thomas Borchert

Richard,

Are their components modular? If Chelton adds a new feature to their glass
EFIS system can I install that feature in my Garmin G1000? Not more easily
than running Mac software on a PC.

So? Is a Garmin 430 modular? Is an AI modular?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 29th 04, 01:24 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

So? Is a Garmin 430 modular? Is an AI modular?

My avionics panel as a whole is modular.

Garmin does not manufacturer or support my AI. I can upgrade from a Garmin
430 to whatever other GPS I like without having to consider whether the new
avionics are compatible with my AI.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old March 1st 04, 08:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Richard,

what I meant to say was that, at a certain level, everything is
integrated. When the 430 was new, many people feared that kind of
integration of GPS, NAV and COMM, citing all sorts of reasons.

A PFD takes that kind of integration further. Bigger aircraft have had
that for years - and very succesfully.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 2nd 04, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

I think the #1 risk with "GA priced"
glass cockpits is whether the designers actually know that these
products are being used in aeroplanes and not sitting on a home cinema
shelf, and building them accordingly.

Uh, have you missed the 430/530 "revolution" these last years?

Glass cockpits are a great opportunity to make GA avionics reliable;
the question is whether anyone is actually going to do it.

See above. People have picked up these units at an absolutely
astonishing rate, putting them in planes often not worth much more than
the ensuing avionics install.

Don't worry - this is definitely in the "build it and they will come"
category.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)