when to run up and check the prop

Old May 7th 05, 06:22 PM
Peter Duniho

"nrp" wrote in message
ups.com...
So if a warm prop governor doesn't work, what can happen? It will
either control or it won't.

Or the failure could be causing oil to be pumped overboard. The only
initial sign from within the cockpit could be the lack of governing, but
you'd still want to get the plane back to the shop ASAP, *without* flying it
first.

[...] Why do multiple still-warm runnups unless you are just
trying to make the neighbors mad? or blow crap at everyone else's
airplane at the pad? or maybe just to sweep the pad?

At every airport I've ever been, there is a suitable run-up area away from
"everyone else's airplane" and from "the pad" (whatever THAT is). Neighbors
have no idea whether it's your first run-up or your tenth, and it'd be a
pretty odd situation indeed for your individual operation to make the
difference between a neighbor being mad or not. Generally, any neighbor who
can actually hear a run-up is either very pro-aviation, or they've already
been trying to close the airport for years.

Pete

Old May 7th 05, 10:49 PM
Blueskies

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Blueskies" wrote in message m...
The reason for cycling the prop is to pump the cold oil out and move in the warmed oil.

That's the reason for cycling the prop several times (I usually do it three during a "cold" run-up). Cycling it at
least once is for verifying proper operation, and is a valid reason no matter how many times you've done it before (by
the same logic you use to argue for doing a magneto check every time).

Pete

Initial application of power and watching the RPM stabilize is enough to ensure proper propeller governor operation...

Old May 8th 05, 12:04 AM
Peter Duniho

"Blueskies" wrote in message
news
Initial application of power and watching the RPM stabilize is enough to
ensure proper propeller governor operation...

That's like saying jiggling the yoke is enough to ensure that the controls
are "free and correct".

Old May 8th 05, 12:52 AM
nrp

Peter Duniho wrote:
"nrp" wrote in message
ups.com...
So if a warm prop governor doesn't work, what can happen? It will
either control or it won't.

Or the failure could be causing oil to be pumped overboard.

Do you get out and look afterwards to see?

Generally, any neighbor who
can actually hear a run-up is either very pro-aviation, or they've

already
been trying to close the airport for years.

I manage a small airport for the city in northern Wisconsin. My
neighbors are close to the runup pads, and are neither particularily
pro or con aviation, but I do have to listen to their occasional
complaints about noise & do what I can to minimize it. I find a
multiple runnup and rundown sounds annoying myself. There may be
reasons but they have their negative consequences too.

Old May 8th 05, 06:13 AM
tony roberts

I manage a small airport for the city in northern Wisconsin. My
neighbors are close to the runup pads, and are neither particularily
pro or con aviation, but I do have to listen to their occasional
complaints about noise & do what I can to minimize it. I find a
multiple runnup and rundown sounds annoying myself. There may be
reasons but they have their negative consequences too.

Well you do appear to be moderating your initial position, but if pilots
running up their engines actually do create insurmountable problems with
your neighbours, then perhaps it is time to move or close your airfield.
Because the alternative is increasing the risk that one of those pilots
may just go through your neighbours roof! And to me, that is much more
unacceptable than the sound of a 30 second runup.

I also wish to add that, while there are many places in usernet where I
could see this discussion occurring, rec.aviation.piloting is certainly
not one of them. In flying, you don't learn from your mistakes - you
learn from other peoples mistakes - because it is often the first
mistake that can kill you. And if the experts say do a runup, and the
neighbours say don't, then you had better be making the right choice.
But that is just my opinion - and I learned long ago that in usernet,
even if all I say is that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, I will get
a couple of posts telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about
because it definitely won't!

So I will just continue putting the safety of my aircraft, my passengers
and myself first, while truly regretting that I may have just
inconvenienced a neighbour by having them hear my runup.

I guess on this one we'll just agree to disagree.
But I thank you for your post and your opinion.

Tony

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE
Old May 8th 05, 06:37 AM
Grumman-581

"nrp" wrote in message
ups.com...
One I've never hear others say - I check the belly for oil before every
flight.

Checking for oil on the belly? Hell, I would be more concerned if there
*wasn't* any there...

Old May 8th 05, 07:30 AM
Peter Duniho

"nrp" wrote in message
oups.com...
So if a warm prop governor doesn't work, what can happen? It will
either control or it won't.

Or the failure could be causing oil to be pumped overboard.

Do you get out and look afterwards to see?

You cannot test every potential failure mode. However, a runup complete
with prop check is a simple and quick thing that can detect many common
types of failures.

More relevant to my original point was that your post seems to imply the
pilot wouldn't care about a problem with the prop governor, which is
patently false. Not all prop governor failures are benign, so if one has a
chance to detect such a failure prior to takeoff, one should take that
chance.

I manage a small airport for the city in northern Wisconsin. My
neighbors are close to the runup pads, and are neither particularily
pro or con aviation, but I do have to listen to their occasional
complaints about noise & do what I can to minimize it. I find a
multiple runnup and rundown sounds annoying myself. There may be
reasons but they have their negative consequences too.

Well, your situation is uncommon. In any case, IMHO safety takes priority
over noise issues. Someone that close to an airport should understand that
there are consequences to being that close to an airport. If a runup
accomplished nothing, I would agree it's a pointless noise maker that ought
to be eliminated; but that's not the case.

Pete

Old May 8th 05, 08:07 PM
nrp

So I will just continue putting the safety of my aircraft, my

passengers
and myself first, while truly regretting that I may have just
inconvenienced a neighbour by having them hear my runup.

I guess on this one we'll just agree to disagree.
But I thank you for your post and your opinion.

Every airport is given an undefined noise budget from its neighbors. A
few years ago I was on the Board managing another recreational/glider
private-open-to-the-public-grass strip airport We had a lot of Cubs
etc based there with the gliders, but we had an active jump club with a
C-206 that completely used up our noise budget with the county
commissioners when we wanted to increase the number of hangars.
Although they flew the 206 as quietly as reasonable, we only had to sit
and listen while the locals said "we don't have no problems with those
Cubs and stuff - but there's that one airplane that makes all the
noise". We were happy when they left, and we got our hangars. Hasn't
been a problem since.

Safety is not being served well when an airport closes.

Old May 9th 05, 02:46 AM
John Gaquin

"Friendly Skies" wrote in message news:j5Oee.41392......

.....pilots who say that you should do a full run
up and prop check before every take off, because the checklist says to.
On
the other hand, I know pilots, mostly owners of similar aircraft, who only
do a full runup and prop check on the first flight of the day. .

Years ago I accumulated some 4000 hours in C402 aircraft in commuter
service. Mostly short legs, sometimes as many as 18-20 legs per day. I did
a prop cycle and mag check on every taxi-out. There is, in my view,
absolutely no reason or excuse not to. Takes about 5-6 seconds, tops. I
can understand why your friends think it is inconvenient, particularly if
they're taking 20-30 seconds to do it, but it only means they need to learn
their procedure.

JG