This ought make for some interesting approach conditions at John Wayne airport

Old October 10th 17, 12:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

Default This ought make for some interesting approach conditions at John Wayne airport

Unless they make downwind landings from the ocean end, otherwise they'll be
flying through a smokescreen.

SNA is 12 miles from the big Anaheim Hills fi

Live streaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0EN8fEuQ8c

http://abc7.com/live/23340/

http://abc7.com/mandatory-evacuation...hills/2512065/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anaheim_smoke.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	95940
Old October 10th 17, 01:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , Byker says...

Unless they make downwind landings from the ocean end, otherwise they'll be
flying through a smokescreen.

SNA is 12 miles from the big Anaheim Hills fi

Live streaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0EN8fEuQ8c

http://abc7.com/live/23340/

http://abc7.com/mandatory-evacuation...hills/2512065/

I live along the border of Sonoma and Marin County...I actually had a light
layer of ash on my car this morning...the sun was orange when it came up because
of all the smoke.

My poor sister lost her home to the Middletown fire in 2015 and may have lost
her new home in the Petaluma area...she's on vacation in Hawaii & may not have a
home to return to with this current fire.

It's not ONE fire but many with new fires flaring up...and the wind is a real
problem. As of right now, there is NO containment with 70,000 acres already
burned!!

*

Old October 10th 17, 02:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"Miloch" wrote in message news

I live along the border of Sonoma and Marin County...I actually had a
light layer of ash on my car this morning...the sun was orange when it
came up because of all the smoke.

During my high school senior year in Santa Ana (1970) there was a big fire
near Corona, about twenty miles away. The smoke cloud blotted out the sun
and it cast a weird dark orange light on everything. It got so dark that the
school principal announced over the PA system, "We are NOT having an eclipse
of the sun!" When we got out of class that afternoon, everything was covered
in ashes...

Old October 10th 17, 03:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , Byker says...

"Miloch" wrote in message news

I live along the border of Sonoma and Marin County...I actually had a
light layer of ash on my car this morning...the sun was orange when it
came up because of all the smoke.

During my high school senior year in Santa Ana (1970) there was a big fire
near Corona, about twenty miles away. The smoke cloud blotted out the sun
and it cast a weird dark orange light on everything. It got so dark that the
school principal announced over the PA system, "We are NOT having an eclipse
of the sun!" When we got out of class that afternoon, everything was covered
in ashes...

It's still raging...not contained yet. Hilton Hotel in Santa Rosa gone along
with 1500 homes/building burned.

We almost always have fires every year with Cal Fire aircraft flying overhead.

Winds much calmer than yesterday & humidity up.

*

Old October 10th 17, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default This ought make for some interesting approach conditions at John Wayne airport - 10_10_2017 fire sunrise.JPG

In article , Byker says...

"Miloch" wrote in message news

I live along the border of Sonoma and Marin County...I actually had a
light layer of ash on my car this morning...the sun was orange when it
came up because of all the smoke.

During my high school senior year in Santa Ana (1970) there was a big fire
near Corona, about twenty miles away. The smoke cloud blotted out the sun
and it cast a weird dark orange light on everything. It got so dark that the
school principal announced over the PA system, "We are NOT having an eclipse
of the sun!" When we got out of class that afternoon, everything was covered
in ashes...

This mornings sunrise...

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10_10_2017 fire sunrise.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	648.2 KB
ID:	95961
Old October 10th 17, 11:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"Miloch" wrote in message news

This mornings sunrise...

For 95 percent of the year, planes flying out of John Wayne Airport take off
and land toward the ocean. But when Santa Ana winds begin to blow, the
flight path changes.

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oc.focus.flightpathspromo.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	95962
Old October 11th 17, 03:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-10-10 14:40:03 +0000, Miloch said:

In article , Byker says...

"Miloch" wrote in message news

I live along the border of Sonoma and Marin County...I actually had a
light layer of ash on my car this morning...the sun was orange when it
came up because of all the smoke.

During my high school senior year in Santa Ana (1970) there was a big fire
near Corona, about twenty miles away. The smoke cloud blotted out the sun
and it cast a weird dark orange light on everything. It got so dark that the
school principal announced over the PA system, "We are NOT having an eclipse
of the sun!" When we got out of class that afternoon, everything was covered
in ashes...

It's still raging...not contained yet. Hilton Hotel in Santa Rosa gone along
with 1500 homes/building burned.

We almost always have fires every year with Cal Fire aircraft flying overhead.

Winds much calmer than yesterday & humidity up.

I live in the hills about 13 miles west of Paso Robles in San Luis
Obispo County, and last year we had to deal with the "Chimney Fire".
That burned for weeks, and when it was closest to my home the air
quality was so bad, going outdoors not a sane option. Visibility was
very limited, and if we had to evacuate the traffic on our access roads
would have been chaotic. All I can say is I am thankful that those
firefighters persevered in very tough conditions.
http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=1389
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimney_Fire

--
Regards,

Savageduck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11349163_G.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	95963  Click image for larger version

Name:	11349165_G.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	95964
Old October 11th 17, 03:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article 2017101019142580108-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck says...

On 2017-10-10 14:40:03 +0000, Miloch said:

In article , Byker says...

[...]

One of my sisters lost her house in Cobb CA to the Middletown fire in 2015.
Took the insurance money and bought another house in Santa Rosa...and
yup...these fires are only blocks away.

Before the fires started, she and her husband took off for a two week vacation
in Hawaii thinking now was ideal...what the hell could possibly happen?

We've got family members/friends trying to see if the house is still standing
but the police won't allow anyone in the burn areas because of hot spots and gas
lines still burning.

I've seen TV reporters on camera from her street but it's hard to tell if her
house is part of the absolute destruction of that street. We think it might
still be standing.

*

Old October 11th 17, 03:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-10-10 14:40:03 +0000, Miloch said:

In article , Byker says...

[...]

These might post better.

--
Regards,

Savageduck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chimney_CASLU008948F.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	95965  Click image for larger version

Name:	air_ops_ChimneyB.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	95966
Old October 11th 17, 03:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-10-11 02:36:48 +0000, Miloch said:

Savageduck says...

On 2017-10-10 14:40:03 +0000, Miloch said:

In article , Byker says...

[...]

Fire, hurricane, tornado, flood, or earthquake, loosing one's home is a
traumatic even which can take years to recover from, whatever the
cause. The wine country has taken a massive hit, as has Puerto
Rico/VI,and all the Caribbean, The Keys, and the Texas Gulf Coast, and
the year isn't over. We can only hope that the loss of life is limited
and those folks can rebuild.

Unfortunately the California economy is going to take a massive hit in
Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino Counties, and all the way to the Oregon border,
as quite a number of wineries have been destroyed at the peak of
harvest time. Also in that area there are large numbers of retirees,
particularly in the Lake County, Middletown area. This year they have a
fire burning South of Clear Lake Oaks.

Then the new California cannabis agri-business has taken a hit in these
fires with big losses.

--
Regards,

Savageduck