A Veterans' Day Salute

Old November 11th 17, 09:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A Veterans' Day Salute

A Veteran's Day Salute to all those who have served, and to those
currently serving.

That includes my Dad, USAAF 1943-1947, 5th AF, 49th Fighter Group, 9th
Fighter Sqn. Silver Star, DFC + OLC, Air Medal + 5 OLC. 4 kills, and
some unconfirmed.

He is 94 years old, and hanging in there.

....and the 9th FS, Gusap, New Guinea, 1944

--
Regards,

Savageduck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HRO-NG44P38.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	993.9 KB
ID:	97021  Click image for larger version

Name:	9th-Squad-5-c2r.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	585.1 KB
ID:	97022
Old November 11th 17, 01:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 01:08:06 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

A Veteran's Day Salute to all those who have served, and to those
currently serving.

That includes my Dad, USAAF 1943-1947, 5th AF, 49th Fighter Group, 9th
Fighter Sqn. Silver Star, DFC + OLC, Air Medal + 5 OLC. 4 kills, and
some unconfirmed.

He is 94 years old, and hanging in there.

My respect and my thanks to him!
Old November 11th 17, 01:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 11, 2017, Bob (not my real pseudonym) wrote
(in ):

wrote:

A Veteran's Day Salute to all those who have served, and to those
currently serving.

That includes my Dad, USAAF 1943-1947, 5th AF, 49th Fighter Group, 9th
Fighter Sqn. Silver Star, DFC + OLC, Air Medal + 5 OLC. 4 kills, and
some unconfirmed.

He is 94 years old, and hanging in there.

My respect and my thanks to him!

Thanks for that. I will pass the message on when I speak to him later this
morning.

I should have added a few more snippets of info; he graduated from class 43G
at Craig Field. He originally shipped out To New Guinea in 1943 as a P-47
relief pilot. However, the 9th FS were soon re-equiped with new P-38J’s.

In two tours he accumulated 500+ combat hours in 160 combat missions. He also
has the Asiatic-Pacific Theater medal with battle stars for The Bismark
Archipeligo, New Guinea, Borneo, Leyte, Lingayen Gulf, & Okinawa campaigns.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Old November 12th 17, 11:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

My dad, long gone, flew C-47s in Europe in the latter days of WWII. He
never really talked about it much, and I don't have much information
on his units.

Do have this one Kodachrome slide he took of a B-17 they met one
day...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B-17G  43-38758  401 BG.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	97042
Old November 12th 17, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 12, 2017, Bob (not my real pseudonym) wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

I am fortunate in that my father has given me all of his military records
including orders, basic, and advanced flight school records and logs at Craig
Field, and Page Field.
These include action reports. Some of those are interesting, he has one
mission to Balikpapen, Borneo which started from Biak Island, and was at the
time the longest escort mission of the war, and they had to fight over the
target with belly tanks in place. That was when Dick Bong, and Tommy McGuire
were chasing for kill score. Both of them added two kills on that mission,
and my father got his first kills, a ‘Zeke’ and an ‘Oscar’. It was a
target rich environment.

He also has another mission where Charles Lindbergh, on his Pacific tour,
flew as his wing man. At the end of that mission Lindbergh signed Dad’s
‘Short Snorter’ which I have.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgpzb4ufcyk2y7u/SS59.jpeg

On 19 & 21 August 1945, with four other P-38s from the 9th FS, he flew
escort for the ‘Surrender Betties’ between Ie Shima and Japan. For those
flights they also carried 2 x 300 gal. belly tanks.