Unpaved Landing areas

Old June 26th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Default Unpaved Landing areas

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
On Jun 26, 1:19 pm, gatt wrote:

How often do you get to land or take off from something other than a
paved runway?

Hardly ever. Insurance policies increasingly prohibit it.

Ah...that is part of the problem and why? Lack of experience on the
parts of the instructors who train pilots to operate of such strips?

Maybe, I don't know. I did quite a few grass-strip landings with my
instructor during primary training. It wasn't until after I started
renting from various FBOs that I ran into the "no soft-field landings"
policy.

It's hard for me to blame the instructors; the ones I know are seasoned
pilots (I've avoided the CFI mills so far) who almost certainly wouldn't
have a problem. Sure wouldn't bother me to do them, either.

-c
Old June 26th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
How often do you get to land or take off from something other than a
paved runway? The current books don't give it much thought and I
suspect because the writers are so new at this aviation thing, they
have little or no experience on anything but paved runways.
Part of the reason for this post was the resistance to more than a few
to not land on a great 2000' grass strip that has an Interstate on one
end, and trees on the other. I have no idea why they are afraid to
land on this strip. There are at least three grass strips of 2000'
length in this area and some that are longer (one is about 4000').
What has your experience been? I have no idea how much time I have
operating off strips of 1200' or less, grass, gravel, sand, etc and no
problems. Must be at least thousands of them, both in terms of take
off and landings as well as hours.
Ol S&B

Wonderful question. I land on grass airfields quite often. A favorite
one is locate rather close to me anyway. http://cedarmills.com/airfield.htm.

I learned on 1800' less than paved airport south of Kansas City, MO a
long time ago. Never found that to be short. One time when I moved to
the Boston, MA area I checked out at the Bedford airport and, at that
time, no rental plane could land at a airport less than 2600' I think.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 26th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Dale wrote:
In article
,
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

[...]

I used to as often as I could.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flypics/ghmidfinal.jpg

OH, wow.!

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 26th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:19:44 +0000 (UTC), gatt
wrote:

How often do you get to land or take off from something other than a
paved runway?

Hardly ever. Insurance policies increasingly prohibit it.

My home field (7B3 Hampton NH) is grass, and I'm insured!

It's certainly true that most of the airports I can reach are paved,
but 2B2 Plum Island MA has a grass runway at an angle to the tarmac. I
choose it if I possibly can because it's in much better shape than the
asphalt.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old June 26th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Unpaved doesn't necessarily mean wear and tear on the nosewheel. I've
been
landing my Cherokee on strips like these for more than a dozen yrs. and
have
never had any nosegear problems :

http://members.cox.net/jgalban/12f70900.jpg

That runway looks better marked than some of the "paved" runways I used...

I must admit that the only runways I use nowadays are simulated (can I
argue that they are "not paved" ;-) ). But back when Jimmy Carter was still
in office, I flew off grass regularly.

I assume that at least some people still do - when I look at the local
charts, there are still plenty of small grass strips around.

Note: I still do get to ride in real life on occasion, but I am so rusty
that there is no way I would attempt to land something like the T-18 or the
Pitts that I get rides in - I did attempt a takeoff in the T-18 at Eau
Claire WI a few years back - good thing the runway was 150 feet wide - I
needed every inch.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 26th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:06:07 -0700 (PDT), "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote in
:

How often do you get to land or take off from something other than a
paved runway?

Not very often.

Does this count?
http://members.tripod.com/airfields_...oy_CA_02_w.jpg
http://members.tripod.com/airfields_...o_SE.htm#amboy
Old June 26th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Ross wrote in
:

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
[...]

Several years ago I looked into rentals at PAO. Every club I looked at
had, at that time (but not now), a rule restricting club members to landing
on paved runways of 3,000' or longer. PAO's runway is only 2,443'. Where
did they expect pilots to return the aircraft at the conclusion of their
rental?

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old June 27th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"gatt" wrote in message
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
On Jun 26, 1:19 pm, gatt wrote:

How often do you get to land or take off from something other than a
paved runway?

Hardly ever. Insurance policies increasingly prohibit it.

Ah...that is part of the problem and why? Lack of experience on the
parts of the instructors who train pilots to operate of such strips?

Maybe, I don't know. I did quite a few grass-strip landings with my
instructor during primary training. It wasn't until after I started
renting from various FBOs that I ran into the "no soft-field landings"
policy.

Is "no soft fields" the same as "no unpaved fields"? I could make a good
argument that it isn't.

-c

Old June 27th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in news:e4ad2017-e174-478c-
:

How often do you get to land or take off from something other than a
paved runway?

Couple of days ago and again tomorrow. Varied, but one as short as about
1300'

Bertie
Old June 27th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

gatt wrote:
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

How often do you get to land or take off from something other than a
paved runway?

Hardly ever. Insurance policies increasingly prohibit it.

-c

We do all the time, we've never had a problem getting the "no soft
field" restriction removed. The field we fly into is a comfy 3,000 ft,
but we never use that much.

Margy