Airport Identifier Logic

Old August 13th 03, 01:47 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message
news:S9f_a.130591$uu5.18889@sccrnsc04...

These are ones that I'm familiar with too. A lot of 3-letter identifiers
make 'some' sense but I haven't figured out how Carroll, IA got CIN (C for
Carroll, I for Iowa and N for Neu?), MFE (McAllen Miller International)

and
also JYG... The identifiers with numbers make even less sense...

Can you think of more logical combinations that fit the criteria and are not
in use?

Old August 13th 03, 02:18 AM
Greg Burkhart

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message

These are ones that I'm familiar with too. A lot of 3-letter identifiers
make 'some' sense but I haven't figured out how Carroll, IA got CIN (C

for
Carroll, I for Iowa and N for Neu?), MFE (McAllen Miller International)

and
also JYG... The identifiers with numbers make even less sense...

Can you think of more logical combinations that fit the criteria and are

not
in use?

How about CRL, MCA and SJM for these?

Old August 13th 03, 02:49 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

How about CRL, MCA and SJM for these?

CRL is in use, it's Carleton VORTAC, MI. MCA and SJM are unassigned, but
note that one of the criterion (one that is rather frequently ignored) is
that the first and second letters or second and third letters or third and
first letters of a three-letter identifier may not be duplicated with less
than 200 nautical miles separation. Would assigning MCA to McAllen or SJM
to St. James require such duplication?

Old August 14th 03, 06:19 PM
gpsposter

EOK Is Keokuk. Makes sense. CID Cedar Rapids. CVG is my favorite.
Greater Cncinnati, OH airport, located in Covington, KY. Get it now?

Actually, while Greater Cincinnati airport does use the CVG designation to
stand for Covington, it is actually about 5-10 miles from Covington. It is
actually located in Hebron, KY. I think they used the CVG designation
because Covington was the closest city of a certain size, although most
Cincinnatians (at least those on the Ohio side) think of Covington as just
another suburb of Cincinnati.
Old August 13th 03, 01:13 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:4Oa_a.128203$o%2.55258@sccrnsc02...
In another thread, someone mentioned that only 13% (or something like that)
of the possible 3-letter combinations are currently used as airport
identifiers. Given this fact, why in the world did they start mixing
numbers into the scene?

For example, why "C89" (for Sylvania Field, in WI) instead of some letter
combo?

Because it doesn't report weather.