Current Satellite photos

Old May 31st 12, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

Default Current Satellite photos

Does anyone know of a site that has current satellite photos that have
a finer resolution than regional scale? Something on the order of
US "state-sized". I know that varies but you get the idea. The best I
can
find now is http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellit...=ALB&itype=vis
which is rather large.
Old May 31st 12, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McKrell

On May 31, 3:16*pm, soartech wrote:
Does anyone know of a site that has current satellite photos that have
a finer resolution than regional scale? Something on the order of
US "state-sized". I know that varies but you get the idea. The best I
can
find now ishttp://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=ALB&itype...
which is rather large.

The best I've found is at http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html
(there's other regions as well). The resolution does seem to be
similar
to your link though. However, I've found it useful for verifying wave
conditions
in the east.

-- Matt
Old May 31st 12, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jjbird

On Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:16:40 PM UTC-4, soartech wrote:
Does anyone know of a site that has current satellite photos that have
a finer resolution than regional scale? Something on the order of
US "state-sized". I know that varies but you get the idea. The best I
can
find now is http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellit...=ALB&itype=vis
which is rather large.

I've tried finding better imagery before and I think that the issue is just that the GOES sats are far away and their cameras aren't super high resolution (could be wrong, if someone knows of better images out there I'd love to know). I usually use this: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/goes-composite/
with high quality and multiple imagery settings, but it looks like it's just a zoom in of what you had and not really any higher resolution.
Old May 31st 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 31 May 2012 12:16:40 -0700, soartech wrote:

Does anyone know of a site that has current satellite photos that have a
finer resolution than regional scale? Something on the order of US
"state-sized". I know that varies but you get the idea. The best I can
find now is
http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?

region=ALB&itype=vis
which is rather large.

The MODIS images are the best I've found. Scales range from 2 km/pixel to
250m/pixel. There is one image set per day in the UK, usually made
between 10:00 and 14:00 local time. You don't say how frequently you want
to see images, but I find these are great for post-flight analysis. Look
here for the latest set:
http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?
subset=United_Kingdom_Ireland

This a single string - 'subset' follows immediately on from '?'. From
this page you can scroll back a day at a time and/or find other regional
subsets. I used part of the South American set to look at Bariloche in
Chile to see how much damage it had taken from last year's volcanic ash
fall.

The current set (31st May) is entirely clouded over, but yesterday was
clear over Eastern England.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 31st 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On May 31, 2:16*pm, soartech wrote:
Does anyone know of a site that has current satellite photos that have
a finer resolution than regional scale? Something on the order of
US "state-sized". I know that varies but you get the idea. The best I
can
find now ishttp://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=ALB&itype...
which is rather large.

Probably all the same images, but I use http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/satellite/

I like the "Loop Big" option on visible. Use the Water vapor images
to get an idea as to whether or not there might be clouds. As John
said, these satellites are "up there" (22,500 miles, as I recall) so
to get much higher resolution will likely only come with time as the
current satellites die and need to be replaced.

Steve
Old May 31st 12, 11:25 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soartech[_2_] View Post
Does anyone know of a site that has current satellite photos that have
a finer resolution than regional scale? Something on the order of
US "state-sized". I know that varies but you get the idea. The best I
can
find now is http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellit...=ALB&itype=vis
which is rather large.
Try this: Hit satellite image, select state and then update. It appears to be a bit more selective.

Walt
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KMCO&state=FL
Old June 1st 12, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

For US continental, I like the following;
http://wxcaster.com/vis_overlays.php3?region=09
the county overlays are particularly useful for a big state like
Texas.

For other regions, see;
http://wxcaster.com/vis_overlays.htm

Bob

Old June 1st 12, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 5/31/2012 12:16 PM, soartech wrote:
Does anyone know of a site that has current satellite photos that have
a finer resolution than regional scale? Something on the order of
US "state-sized". I know that varies but you get the idea. The best I
can
find now is http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellit...=ALB&itype=vis
which is rather large.

Why do you want finer scale? If the resolution is actually OK, but you
are just trying to locate the clouds over the ground features, try this map:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Use the "Satellite" function on the left menu, select "VIS", select 100
% opacity to start, and set the sensitivity as needed to see clouds.
Also, the clouds don't show up until an hour or two after sunrise.

email me)
Old June 1st 12, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_11_]

On May 31, 3:16*pm, soartech wrote:
Does anyone know of a site that has current satellite photos that have
a finer resolution than regional scale? Something on the order of
US "state-sized". I know that varies but you get the idea. The best I
can
find now ishttp://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=ALB&itype...
which is rather large.

Another one I like is...
http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/index.php
To find the vis sat look under the "1km products" if the left side
menu.
You can do up to a 48 frame loop. Their radar is also really nice.
Old June 2nd 12, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. MODIS is a high-res system
but it is only good for analysis the next day.
Probably the one that best fits my vision of what I wanted is the one
from Bob Gibbons.

For other regions, see;
http://wxcaster.com/vis_overlays.htm

Bob

This has the folksy name of "Earl's 1km Visible Satellite Image
Overlays" and has a simple menu choice.
I plan to use it for last-minute XC planning when deciding which
direction might have a nice area of cumulus.

New satellite viewer available Stubby Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 7th 05 11:48 AM
Satellite photos Chris W Piloting 3 September 2nd 04 06:49 AM
Worldwide hi-res satellite photos Jonathan Gere Soaring 2 May 4th 04 03:08 PM
US satellite photos - Mifflin County example Jonathan Gere Soaring 0 March 25th 04 12:39 AM
Free, downloadable U.S. Satellite Photos Jonathan Gere Soaring 1 November 22nd 03 04:01 PM