UAL Flt 233 - Capt. Al Haynes' daughter

Old December 30th 03, 05:41 AM
WaltBJ

Default UAL Flt 233 - Capt. Al Haynes' daughter

Capt Al Haynes of United Flight 233 has a daughter who needs a bone
marrow transplant to save her life. She must raise 250,000 dollars to
cover the costs. See http://www.friendsoflaurie.com for details. Capt
Haynes was chief pilot of the DC10 that lost all its hydraulics and
thus the flight controls and crash-landed at Sioux City Iowa some ten
years ago. He and his crew somehow managed to save about half the
pasengers. I know him personally; he is a real gentleman.
Help if you can; any amount will be appreciated.
Walt BJ
Old December 30th 03, 05:24 PM
Mary Shafer

On 29 Dec 2003 20:41:09 -0800, (WaltBJ) wrote:

Capt Al Haynes of United Flight 233 has a daughter who needs a bone
marrow transplant to save her life. She must raise 250,000 dollars to
cover the costs. See
http://www.friendsoflaurie.com for details.

Walt, this didn't seem to work for me. I'll try again later but could
you check it?

It's UAL 232, by the way.

Capt
Haynes was chief pilot of the DC10 that lost all its hydraulics and
thus the flight controls and crash-landed at Sioux City Iowa some ten
years ago. He and his crew somehow managed to save about half the
pasengers. I know him personally; he is a real gentleman.

Capt. Haynes is retired, by the way, so the jokes about airline
pilots' pay don't apply here. He is a really nice guy, who let NASA
(ok, me) distribute the video tapes of his post-accident presentation
through Usenet some years ago. Hundreds of tapes were made and
thousands of people saw them, all over the world, thanks to him.

People, particularly people of non-European descent, might want to
look into becoming bone marrow donors. It's relatively safe for the
donor and the donee is usually at death's door, so donating does a lot
of good. People of non-European descent are really under-represented
for a variety of reasons, so it's really hard for would-be donees to
find matches and donors.

Mary

Old December 30th 03, 07:08 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , Mary Shafer
wrote:

Capt. Haynes is retired, by the way, so the jokes about airline
pilots' pay don't apply here. He is a really nice guy, who let NASA
(ok, me) distribute the video tapes of his post-accident presentation
through Usenet some years ago. Hundreds of tapes were made and
thousands of people saw them, all over the world, thanks to him.

Mary -- thanks for putting in the effort to do this. I got a copy
of the transcript that you posted, and I very much enjoyed reading
it.

BTW, did folks read about the DHL Airbus that was hit by a missile
while taking off from Baghdad? They ended up in the same siutation
as UL 232, they lost all flight controls other than engine power,
and managed to turn 180 degrees and land back at the airport
using only differential power. The pilot happened to hear Capt
Al Haynes give a safety seminar a few months ago, and they actually
tried out differential power in the simulator to see if it would
work on the Airbus. In the case of the DHL flight, they did not
get the nose up/down movement problem that the DC-10 had. They
did, however, have a crosswind, and they missed the right parallel
runway. The crew tried to slide over to the left parallel runway,
and caught part of it, but ran off the runway pretty quickly. I
hadn't hear what the final condition of the plane was, but it did
sound like a write-off.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old December 30th 03, 09:40 PM
Dudley Henriques

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
om...
Capt Al Haynes of United Flight 233 has a daughter who needs a bone
marrow transplant to save her life. She must raise 250,000 dollars to
cover the costs. See http://www.friendsoflaurie.com for details. Capt
Haynes was chief pilot of the DC10 that lost all its hydraulics and
thus the flight controls and crash-landed at Sioux City Iowa some ten
years ago. He and his crew somehow managed to save about half the
pasengers. I know him personally; he is a real gentleman.
Help if you can; any amount will be appreciated.
Walt BJ

I'm glad you posted this Walt. It's something that the aviation community at
large should really get involved in for various reasons.
I caught the word on Captain Haynes' situation the other day at a meeting.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he has lost his wife as well since Sioux
City, and this situation with his daughter's plight is terrible.
I've always admired Captain Haynes. He's a first class guy who, when the
chips were down, along with his crew, rewrote the book on the definition of
cockpit maturity, professionalism, and responsibility.
The events at Sioux City, as awe inspiring as they were, are just part of
what this guy is all about. It's how he acted after the crash that really
spells out the tremendous personal integrity and character of Captain
Haynes. His low key handling of the events that followed, and his going way
past what he had to do in making sure that the community gained maximum
flight safety benefit from what he had learned at Sioux City makes him much
more than the average bear.
It's truly tragic that all this sorrow should come to someone like Captain
Haynes, who tried so hard to help others. The word about his daughter is
spreading like wildfire through our various aviation communities and I
understand much has been accomplished already. I can assure you that I
personally have been spreading the word wherever and whenever I can and will
continue to do so at every opportunity.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old December 30th 03, 09:55 PM
TJ

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article , Mary Shafer
wrote:

[...]

John, the images of the damaged Airbus can be found at the following links:

http://www.jetphotos.net/images/imag....jpg.58464.jpg

http://www.jetphotos.net/images/imag....jpg.58500.jpg

http://www.jetphotos.net/images/imag....jpg.19510.jpg

http://www.jetphotos.net/images/imag....jpg.48960.jpg

http://www.jetphotos.net/images/imag....jpg.48747.jpg

http://www.jetphotos.net/images/imag....jpg.21004.jpg

TJ

Old December 31st 03, 03:41 AM
Jim Calpin

Capt Haynes' experience continues to pay dividends - the captain of the
DHL flight out of Baghdad last month that was hit by the MANPADS (and
lost all hydraulics) had attended one of Capt Haynes' lectures last
year: http://www.spacedaily.com/news/iraq-03a.html

-Jim C.

Dudley Henriques wrote:

om...

Old December 31st 03, 05:58 AM
WaltBJ

Mea maxima culpa - the URL is actually http://friendsfor laurie.com
BTW Capt Haynes came to our college and talked to the students (would
be airline pilots) several times.
Walt BJ
Old December 31st 03, 07:00 AM

Mary Shafer wrote:

On 29 Dec 2003 20:41:09 -0800, (WaltBJ) wrote:

Capt Al Haynes of United Flight 233 has a daughter who needs a bone
marrow transplant to save her life. She must raise 250,000 dollars to
cover the costs. See
http://www.friendsoflaurie.com for details.

Walt, this didn't seem to work for me. I'll try again later but could
you check it?

It's UAL 232, by the way.

Same here Walt ...gives me a 404...
--

-Gord.
Old December 31st 03, 03:31 PM
Peter Bjoern

On 30 Dec 2003 20:58:33 -0800, (WaltBJ) wrote in
rec.aviation.military:

Mea maxima culpa - the URL is actually
http://friendsfor laurie.com
BTW Capt Haynes came to our college and talked to the students (would
be airline pilots) several times.
Walt BJ

This one works (with www and w/o the space) :
http://www.friendsforlaurie.com/

Best regards

Peter
Old December 31st 03, 08:30 PM

Peter Bjoern wrote:

On 30 Dec 2003 20:58:33 -0800, (WaltBJ) wrote in
rec.aviation.military:

Mea maxima culpa - the URL is actually
http://friendsfor laurie.com
BTW Capt Haynes came to our college and talked to the students (would
be airline pilots) several times.
Walt BJ

This one works (with www and w/o the space) :
http://www.friendsforlaurie.com/

Best regards

Peter

Yes it does...I was about to experiment when I checked your post
above Peter...good work...so Walt, you need to correct your URL
(again!)

Ain't old age a bitch? (I'm an expert at it BTW)
--

-Gord.