Group Poll: Best 2+kids or 4 place taildragger?

Old November 25th 03, 10:12 PM
Montblack

("Robert Little" wrote)
The Stinson 108 series is the best buy in cost, maintenance, room,

capacity and fun to fly. The -3 has the bigger rudder designed for
float operations that can give some problems in cross winds, but the the
earlier models are just fine. The Franklins are 1/2 price on parts and
overhauls and the Razorback Fabric gives the plane the durability to
leave on the ramp with the spam-cans. So, built like a tank, can have a
good one for mid-twenties and smooth running Franklin, gives this plane
thumbs up. More new parts are available for a Stinson through TC
holder,Univair than for a new Cessna or Piper.

Googled (Stinson 108) info. Found this interesting site.

http://www.stinsonflyer.com/sf-97.htm

I was looking through the pics and thought to myself - Hey, those kids
are sure looking older, as the project nears completion. Quote from the
restoration story below g.

"My son is shown in front of the airplane, now some 7 years older than
the earlier view of stipping the paint from the vertical stabilizer."

http://personalpages.tdstelme.net/~westin/ac-0.htm

--
Montblack

Old November 25th 03, 10:23 PM
Jim

I found the same site. 7 years!
The AOPA article made the prices of 108-3's jump. Only one I could find
online for sale is asking $60,000 but it may be in Canadian $$.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old November 26th 03, 01:55 AM
Tom S.

"Jim" wrote in message
What's your opinion about the best taildragger that has room for at least

2
adults plus kids? Reasons and experiences please.
--

How MANY kids? How about a Beech B-18?

Old November 26th 03, 02:14 AM
dutch

If you want value for the money, go Piper Pacer PA20 or converted Tripacer
Pa22/20. The 150 horse version will keep you out of trouble. Has a
separate door for the back seat, performs as well as a Skyhawk. I flew my
wife and 3 kids around in one out west (airport altitude 6500 ft. years ago
and still miss that airplane.

Old November 26th 03, 03:15 AM
Don Tuite

I had a metal 1947 Stinson 108-2 with the 165 Franklin for several
years.

Delightful, but I didn't take it as many places as I took my
Taylorcraft when I was single.

Don
Old November 26th 03, 02:20 PM
Steve Robertson

You don't need a taildragger to operate off grass - Especially 5000 feet! You
need a Bonanza. Great on on grass, great on short fields (not that yours will be
short), and fast. You have pretty much described the mission profile for an
older Bone. But tri-gear Cessnas are fine on grass. As are Piper Tri-Pacers.

Best regards,

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft Muskeer

Jim wrote:

Why a tail dragger? There is no good reason other than 'something to do'

in
this pilot's opinion.

Exactly my idea. Just something to have fun in but still use to haul the
wife and kids around when needed. I have the opportunity to put a 1/2 mile
grass strip right infront of my house and am currently getting a good
tailwheel checkout. I'm torn between two goals. I can either pursue a
partnership in a faster complex plane for some serious cross country flying
(which I do enough of to justify it), or I could go it on my own and pick up
a fairly nice Cessna 170 and eventually build a hanger and a strip at my
house. I'd still be able to rent a faster larger plane for the longer cross
country trips.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old November 26th 03, 02:57 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Steve Robertson wrote:

You don't need a taildragger to operate off grass - Especially 5000 feet!

Since when is a half mile 5,000'?

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned
no other way.

Old November 26th 03, 06:56 PM
Steve Robertson

Whoops! Well, it never was. Fortunately, 2600 feet plus or minus is still plenty
enough for all of the aircraft mentioned so far in this thread.

Best,

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft Musketeer