Update on television program

Old March 16th 04, 12:48 AM
John Shelton

Default Update on television program

Thank all of you for your suggestions and stories. I settled on proposing
the Bob Korves-related tale of the contest pilot who landed out above the
clouds because it would give me the opportunity to show 15 minutes of
kick-ass aerials at the beginning before people changed to the ALL NASCAR
CHANNEL or Bass Fishing.

They liked better the idea of a go-for-broke expedition launched from the
outskirts of my favorite quaint village...Los Angeles (cheap for them to
produce) and a flight into the Great Basin of America...get this...WITHOUT A
MOTOR! Yes. That's right. No motor. And as a further complication, I thought
it could go out of Crystal. Go figure! A flight out of Crystal into the void
without a motor. A first...for the rest of the planet anyway.

Of course, their note ended with "Don't call us. We'll call you." But I take
that as a positive sign. Usually they say they will get a restraining order.
At least this time, I didn't have to be escorted from the lot by their
goons.

If they say yes and you have a two-seat motorglider, hide from me. If there
is one word that describes me it is tenacious and persistent.

Thanks again.

05

Old March 16th 04, 04:35 PM
ISoar

How about an alternate form of soaring expedition? For the past three
years hang- and paragliders descend on Zapata, Texas in search of big
miles. They call it the World Record Encampment. The tiny town puts
out the welcome mat and the local ranchers arrange to let the local
sherrif open locked gates to retrieve pilots who landed out.

When the weather conditions are right, which they usually are for
about one month a year, pilots launch absurdly early and race north
under cloud streets extending to the horizion. About the only
adventure is staying out of controlled airspace and landing near
enough to a road so you don't die of dehydration before getting picked
up.

This page has links to several articles
http://www.flytec.com/news_archive.html

Here is the story by the guy who set the paraglider open distance
record
http://www.gravsports.com/Gadfly%20P...Encampment.htm
Old March 16th 04, 04:56 PM
John Shelton

Too late. Right now, it is two guys going east. The production company has
cost considerations and driving over the hill is a lot cheaper for them.

Old March 16th 04, 05:30 PM
Stewart Kissel

Hey John-

If that doesn't work out for you....

After that lengthy(and entertaining) diatribe on how
to get from SJ to CC, maybe you might try your hand
as a flying traffic reporter

At 17:06 16 March 2004, John Shelton wrote:
Too late. Right now, it is two guys going east. The
production company has
cost considerations and driving over the hill is a
lot cheaper for them.

'ISoar' wrote in message
.. .
[...]

http://www.gravsports.com/Gadfly%20P...cord%20Encampm
ent.htm

Old March 16th 04, 05:40 PM
John Shelton

That was written as a good-natured jab at a friend who always tells stories
like that.

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...
Hey John-

If that doesn't work out for you....

After that lengthy(and entertaining) diatribe on how
to get from SJ to CC, maybe you might try your hand
as a flying traffic reporter

At 17:06 16 March 2004, John Shelton wrote:
Too late. Right now, it is two guys going east. The
production company has
cost considerations and driving over the hill is a
lot cheaper for them.

.. .