CAI Model 20 to OLC?

Old July 14th 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default CAI Model 20 to OLC?

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 6:19:04 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

I was stupid enough to take the lead in trying to manage the process of getting the Legacy CAI workaround through the OLC folks back in 2012.

And I was stupid enough to write the Cambridge converter program, and also the "Cambridge Aero Explorer".

Soaring software, its a gold mine!

Guy Byars
Old July 14th 17, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 6:46:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 6:19:04 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

I was stupid enough to take the lead in trying to manage the process of getting the Legacy CAI workaround through the OLC folks back in 2012.

And I was stupid enough to write the Cambridge converter program, and also the "Cambridge Aero Explorer".

Soaring software, its a gold mine!

Guy Byars

A gold mine, indeed.
Thanks for digging the hole anyway, Guy.
Without a Cambridge logger any more, still have Aero Explorer Plus on this laptop.
Jim
Old July 14th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 8:46:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 6:19:04 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

I was stupid enough to take the lead in trying to manage the process of getting the Legacy CAI workaround through the OLC folks back in 2012.

And I was stupid enough to write the Cambridge converter program, and also the "Cambridge Aero Explorer".

Soaring software, its a gold mine!

Guy Byars

Thank you again, Guy! I still communicate with my 20/25 using a super ancient TI Extensa running Windows 98. Still has a real serial port, and a 3.5 inch floppy drive. Initial view of the flights is via the old Cambridge DOS program. Then I move to either an XP or Vista machine, and view on Aero Explorer Plus. To get the flight over there, I have a USB 3.5 inch floppy drive. And, yes. It all works just fine.

We need to see a flight in your SGS 1-20 recorded using a Model 10 logger and uploaded to OLC, Guy!

To all those that have done it, Thank You for lining that soaring software hole in the ground with your own gold. There are many out here that really do appreciate all you have done and continue to do.

Steve Leonard

Old July 14th 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 10:08:58 AM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

I actually still have my CAI Model 10 logger, though it requires a cash infusion to work again. I think I'll just keep it for static display in my museum.

The SGU 1-20 will never have a logger on board. The pellet vario and a paper map still work very well thank you. Though with a 2.01 handicap I could clean up in Sports Class.

Old July 14th 17, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

This wouldn't be a Windows issue, would it? I find lots of formerly
useful programs don't work with Windows 8 or 10.

On 7/13/2017 5:33 PM, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 5:19:04 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Hey Steve,

I was stupid enough to take the lead in trying to manage the process of getting the Legacy CAI workaround through the OLC folks back in 2012. I've been roped into a couple of problems here and there over the last 5 years, but by-and-large the process seems to work for "most people most of the time". One thing that seems to crop up occasionally is Pilot Event Markers (PEVs) screwing things up. I've done some analysis, and I can't identify the root cause, but there seems to be a high correlation. So, check to see if your files have any PEVs; that could be a problem. Why there would be a PEV if you are just using the Model 20 as a passive logger (i.e. not connected to the 303 display) is a question in and of itself...

Erik Mann (P3)

Thank you, Eric. My Model 20 is hooked to an L-Nav, and a GPS Nav Display. It is possible I might have hit "GO" and made a PEV. I have seen OLC throw out a flight for changing the declared task in flight, and for power interruptions that made the logger go through its startup screens sequence (poor solder joint somewhere in old wiring and some big turbulence). The first two I lost this year are likely due to several loss of GPS signal events. Poor location in the Ka-6, and too much UV barrier in the Poly spray, I guess. This one is more puzzling to me, as I looked through the trace and I am not seeing anything that says it would be bad.

Have tried to run VALI-CAM.exe, it seems to open a DOS window that immediately closes. But, using the ClearNav conversion tool, all files have shown good security and valid conversion to making the .igc file. Will see what happens on the next flight, I guess.

Steve Leonard

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 14th 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_5_]

Not really. It is a DOS program that require a parameter of the filename,
and unless you open a DOS window first and then run it VALI-CAM filename,
it won't help you.

Old July 23rd 17, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:08:58 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Steve, Looks like you had problems with OLC on your 700k triangle yesterday..
If OLC accepts a trace from a cell phone they should accept anything. They wouldn't check if you claimed VJS was a Carbon Dragon.
At least they won't accept our donations. Silly buggers.
Jim