Looking for a fuselage

Old February 13th 05, 02:11 AM
Peter Duniho

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Consider what an aircraft looks like after being on tiedown for a year
without
being washed. I think you'd wind up with a filthy condo for starlings in
relatively short order. The prop will be easier to keep clean.

Especially if you attach a motor to it and leave it running all the time.

Gonna put a giant plastic owl on top of it?

He won't need one if he goes the motor route.

Pete

Old February 13th 05, 03:02 AM
Jay Honeck

y'know...there's something wrong when jay is looking for a 140 to put
on a stick and i'm doin everything i can to get one all my own to go
fly in! well, not everything i can. have yet to start holding-up
convenience stores. so far.

Well, Dan, I suspect the kind of aircraft I'm looking for is NOT something
you'd be willing to hang yourself beneath at 5,000 feet!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 13th 05, 03:04 AM
Daniel

George Patterson wrote ...

Consider what an aircraft looks like after being on tiedown for a year without
being washed. I think you'd wind up with a filthy condo for starlings in
relatively short order. The prop will be easier to keep clean. Gonna put
a giant plastic owl on top of it?

You've never been crow huntin' have you George? The plastic owl will
keep the starlings away, but the sky will grow dark with screamin',
crappin' crows.

Daniel
Old February 13th 05, 03:30 AM
Robert Bates

I've seen full scale fiberglass Spits and ME109's for display purposes
online that would look real nice on a pole.

Old February 13th 05, 04:30 AM
Slick

Go to MotArt.com and contact Tim. He'll be able to put you in touch with
aircraft junkyards across the country.
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Or a big propeller.

Now that our conversion to an aviation theme-suites hotel is almost
complete, we think it's time to make the *outside* of the place look more
aviation-ish. (We've only changed the inside, thus far.)

Anyone know where I can find an old Cessna 140 (for example) fuselage for
cheap that I could mount on a pole out front? Or a big ol' Convair

prop?
Something I could hoist up onto a 3-story sign, to catch the eye of
travelers?

Anyone got any better ideas? Whatever we do, it can't be unsafe, and it
shouldn't look too kitschy...

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 13th 05, 07:11 AM

Jay,
How about a "Connie" ( Constellation ). Yep, the full size plane.
Used to be outside a BAR!!!! ( lounge ) in New Orleans. It was just
off the interstate, probably why it's no longer there. Probably caused
too many near-wrecks, involving mainly ME!!!!

Neal

Old February 13th 05, 09:00 AM
Roger

On 12 Feb 2005 08:33:03 -0800, Bob Fry
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Anyone know where I can find an old Cessna 140 (for example) fuselage for
cheap that I could mount on a pole out front? Or a big ol' Convair prop?
Something I could hoist up onto a 3-story sign, to catch the eye of
travelers?

Anyone got any better ideas? Whatever we do, it can't be unsafe, and it
shouldn't look too kitschy...

Cessna-on-a-stick, eh? That'll sure drag'em in off the highway. I'm
thinking the MidWest and the WestCoast have different definitions of
"kitschy."

Welll..he could go with Cessna wrapped around a pole..er...stick, but
it migth not create the desired impression.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Try something less real, more abstract and artsy. For instance, at
the Sacramento Airport, they put up some enormous colorful birds:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L3372267A
[username: root password: password]

I'm not suggesting you go to that extent, but maybe some tastful
artwork on your existing sign or the front of your hotel. Get your
wife involved or your stained-glass artist friend. Props and wingless
fuselages appeal to 0.5% of your potential guests. Don't turn away
the other 99.5%.

Old February 14th 05, 12:51 AM
Aviv Hod

I think Slick meant www.MotoArt.com. Unfortunately Tim Roberts died
October 11, 2004, apparently of natural causes.

The others guys will probably help you out, though.

As others have suggested, I think that a more abstract artistic piece
will enhance the hotel more than a Cessna on a stick. That will likely
look dilapidated in short order.

-Aviv

Old February 14th 05, 12:56 AM
Rich S.

"Aviv Hod" wrote in message
As others have suggested, I think that a more abstract artistic piece will
enhance the hotel more than a Cessna on a stick. That will likely look
dilapidated in short order.

The Supermall near Auburn, WA had an Ercoupe sans landing gear mounted on a
pylon. That was the coolest Ercoupe ever!

Rich S.