A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Any current news about Seminole Lake contest?

Old March 15th 15, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech
external usenet poster

Default Any current news about Seminole Lake contest?

Google shows nothing. Is there a URL for this contest?
Old March 15th 15, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 11:38:36 AM UTC-6, Soartech wrote:
Google shows nothing. Is there a URL for this contest?

http://www.ssa.org/Contests?cid=2306&display=results
Old March 16th 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Marketing for the seniors event is far better than most but still leaves much to be desired. The best means of following the event online seems to be "friending" pilots and spectators on Facebook. Then you get a slow drip of info...maybe.

Also, the SSA tracking for AAT tasks is a little boring, to say the least. There is no rhyme or reason to the tracks. They are meaningless in terms of their relationship to other competitors tracks. Who is ahead? When did they "start?" You have literally no idea. And most of the SPOT units freeze up and have large gaps of no data. SPOTs only report position every 10 minutes if functioning properly. The InReach units allow for 1 minute updates with altitude, heading and speed but very few pilots are willing to pay extra service fees to provide that data. So few do this that it is not highlighted in the SSA tracking app.

Contest organizers should have dedicated media staff 100% focused on communicating the happenings to the fans. Updates should be posted to social media often with occasional short clips of video, etc. This is pretty standard practice in major sailing events. We have so few contests, in my opinion they are all "major" events.

My 2 cents...
Old March 17th 15, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 9:39:32 AM UTC-6, Sean Fidler wrote:
Marketing for the seniors event is far better than most but still leaves much to be desired. The best means of following the event online seems to be "friending" pilots and spectators on Facebook. Then you get a slow drip of info...maybe.

Also, the SSA tracking for AAT tasks is a little boring, to say the least.. There is no rhyme or reason to the tracks. They are meaningless in terms of their relationship to other competitors tracks. Who is ahead? When did they "start?" You have literally no idea. And most of the SPOT units freeze up and have large gaps of no data. SPOTs only report position every 10 minutes if functioning properly. The InReach units allow for 1 minute updates with altitude, heading and speed but very few pilots are willing to pay extra service fees to provide that data. So few do this that it is not highlighted in the SSA tracking app.

Contest organizers should have dedicated media staff 100% focused on communicating the happenings to the fans. Updates should be posted to social media often with occasional short clips of video, etc. This is pretty standard practice in major sailing events. We have so few contests, in my opinion they are all "major" events.

My 2 cents...

I don't seem to be getting too many 'feeds' although one showed up this morning
http://www.dailycommercial.com/news/...746a7533d.html
Old March 17th 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 10:01:06 AM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 9:39:32 AM UTC-6, Sean Fidler wrote:

Also, the SSA tracking for AAT tasks is a little boring, to say the least. There is no rhyme or reason to the tracks. They are meaningless in terms of their relationship to other competitors tracks. Who is ahead? When did they "start?" You have literally no idea. And most of the SPOT units freeze up and have large gaps of no data. SPOTs only report position every 10 minutes if functioning properly. The InReach units allow for 1 minute updates with altitude, heading and speed but very few pilots are willing to pay extra service fees to provide that data. So few do this that it is not highlighted in the SSA tracking app.

My 2 cents...

I don't seem to be getting too many 'feeds' although one showed up this morning
http://www.dailycommercial.com/news/...746a7533d.html

I got some images via Facebook, but they aren't public. I'll try and ping the pilot to make the album public so I can further share them. Of course, I can copy and post them and caption them, but all I ever needed was a 48-hour day.

Frank Whiteley
Old March 25th 15, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 11:39:32 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:

Also, the SSA tracking for AAT tasks is a little boring, to say the least.. There is no rhyme or reason to the tracks. They are meaningless in terms of their relationship to other competitors tracks. Who is ahead? When did they "start?" You have literally no idea. And most of the SPOT units freeze up and have large gaps of no data. SPOTs only report position every 10 minutes if functioning properly. The InReach units allow for 1 minute updates with altitude, heading and speed but very few pilots are willing to pay extra service fees to provide that data. So few do this that it is not highlighted in the SSA tracking app.

My 2 cents...

You are correct. I can't believe they do not have a website setup for media, scoring info, etc. The world knows nothing about this and someone might be interested. Every hang gliding and paragliding contest has a scoring site as a minimum!! (See Ozreport.com)