The Vietnam Memorial Wall

Old May 31st 04, 09:28 PM
Ed Rasimus

Default The Vietnam Memorial Wall

On 31 May 2004 18:45:49 GMT, Ian MacLure wrote:

wrote in
:

The Vietnam Memorial Wall

The what?

IBM

Seriously though unless this posting was aimed at bore Eurotrash
its kind of pointless and/or redundant.

Actually that would be the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. And, it shows
the names of US military that were killed in that war. Not those from
other services.

Here's an excerpt from "Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights" coming out in
Feb '05 that's my take on the wall:

"Washington D. C. is a city of beautiful buildings and soaring
monuments. The capital dominates with its majestic dome and broad
stairways. The Supreme Court similarly rises among the stately trees
with strength in its columns and classic façade. The memorials to the
greats of our nations are white, broad and tall befitting the stature
of the military and political leaders which they honor. But, the Wall
is black and buried, a depression in the ground symbolizing the
depression of the nation that did not win the war or respect the men
who fought it. You can see the Washington Monument from miles away and
you won't need a map to find Lincoln or Jefferson or the World War II
memorial, but you could walk within a hundred yards of the Wall and
never see it. We seem to want to hide it, maybe hoping that an
obligation has been fulfilled but no one wants to admit that the
obligation existed in the first place.

"The names are listed in a paper directory, dog-eared and dirty from
thousands of hands searching through it for a name of a friend or
family member who was lost. It's chained to a plywood pedestal like a
small town phone book at a gas station pay-phone, almost as an
afterthought by the government that maybe some visitor might want to
know where on the wall among the 58,000 names their special person is
memorialized. But, they do want to know. They come from across the
country to see and to feel and to remember. Some say they come for
closure or to heal, but that is only a few. More come for respect and
to belatedly honor the fallen. And some come out of guilt that they
hadn't gone or hadn't done the right thing at the time.

"The sidewalk along the brooding black marble wall slopes gradually,
there are no steps along the way. It's almost a metaphor for the
gradualism that led us to failure. It marks the descent into the
immorality of sending men to die for a cause that the nation wants to
ignore. But when you reach the deepest point, the walk rises again and
gradually, over time returns to the level of the street and the city.
All things pass and maybe this represents a return to normalcy and
patriotism and honor; belief in your country's might and the
principles that the other soaring white monuments of Washington
commemorate. Maybe.

"Children visiting the Wall from the inner cities of America laugh and
tussle on the grass, showing little of the solemnity that we might
wish for this spot. They don't know these many years later exactly
what this is all about. They don't make a great distinction between
Verdun and Vietnam. But, that guy over there, the one in the dark suit
with the sunglasses, he knows the difference. The gray-haired fellow
coming down the walk with his grand-son holding his hand, he knows
many of these names. The heavy-set fellow in the West Point
sweatshirt, sitting on the park bench with the cane by his side was
there. The one in the tattered field jacket, with the beard and dirty
matted long hair? No, probably not. Odds are he's ten years too young
and simply another poseur and "wannabe." There are a lot of them these
days. You can buy the jacket in any town and the medals can be found
on eBay. But, that's the stereotype; the homeless, drug or alcohol
addicted hulk destroyed by the war. The reality is that the great
majority of the survivors of the war are just quiet old men, living
out their lives and remembering."

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old June 1st 04, 02:00 AM
John Mullen

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On 31 May 2004 18:45:49 GMT, Ian MacLure wrote:

wrote in
:

The Vietnam Memorial Wall

The what?

IBM

Seriously though unless this posting was aimed at bore Eurotrash
its kind of pointless and/or redundant.

Actually that would be the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. And, it shows
the names of US military that were killed in that war. Not those from
other services.

Here's an excerpt from "Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights" coming out in
Feb '05 that's my take on the wall:

(snip)

It would of course require a very much larger wall to list the Vitnamese who
died in that previous ill-judged intervention.

John

Old June 1st 04, 05:17 AM
Guy Alcala

Ed Rasimus wrote:

snip

"The sidewalk along the brooding black marble wall slopes gradually,
there are no steps along the way. It's almost a metaphor for the
gradualism that led us to failure. It marks the descent into the
immorality of sending men to die for a cause that the nation wants to
ignore. But when you reach the deepest point, the walk rises again and
gradually, over time returns to the level of the street and the city.
All things pass and maybe this represents a return to normalcy and
patriotism and honor; belief in your country's might and the
principles that the other soaring white monuments of Washington
commemorate. Maybe.

Gee, Ed, you can see what you see, but don't you think that making the
Memorial be accessible to those in wheelchairs (i.e. no stairs), undoubtedly
including a considerable number of Vietnam vets who wish to visit it, might
have played a part? I dont remember if the ADA was in effect at the time of
its design and construction, but things were certainly moving that way.

Guy

Old June 1st 04, 10:31 AM
Cub Driver

But, the Wall
is black and buried, a depression in the ground symbolizing the
depression of the nation that did not win the war or respect the men
who fought it.

I think you're wrong on this one, Ed. To me the Wall is the most
beautiful and most moving monument anywhere in the world, the only one
I return to, and the only one that ever made me cry.

In 1989 I went skiing in Switzerland with my daughter, and on the
return trip we got put in separate seats. I was in biz class beside a
Swiss on his way to Washington. I suggested that he visit the Wall,
and set out to explain the concept to him. And by golly I burst into
tears right there. Happily the drinks were free in Swissair biz class.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Old June 1st 04, 11:47 AM
Stephen Harding

John Mullen wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

On 31 May 2004 18:45:49 GMT, Ian MacLure wrote:

wrote in
:

The Vietnam Memorial Wall

The what?

IBM

Seriously though unless this posting was aimed at bore Eurotrash
its kind of pointless and/or redundant.

Actually that would be the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. And, it shows
the names of US military that were killed in that war. Not those from
other services.

Here's an excerpt from "Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights" coming out in
Feb '05 that's my take on the wall:

(snip)

It would of course require a very much larger wall to list the Vitnamese who
died in that previous ill-judged intervention.

Nothing to stop the Vietnamese from building one.

SMH

Old June 1st 04, 03:19 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 04:17:09 GMT, Guy Alcala
wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

snip

[...]

ADA was in effect at that time. So, we haven't removed the steps at
the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials. We just dedicated the WW II
Memorial which is white and above ground and has steps in several
places. We look up to the USMC Iwo Jima Flag-Raising statue. We stand
face to face on level ground with the Korean War Memorial.

It's a metaphor I'm using. One of those literary thingies.

Old June 1st 04, 03:23 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 05:31:27 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

But, the Wall
is black and buried, a depression in the ground symbolizing the
depression of the nation that did not win the war or respect the men
who fought it.

I think you're wrong on this one, Ed. To me the Wall is the most
beautiful and most moving monument anywhere in the world, the only one
I return to, and the only one that ever made me cry.

Dan,

I didn't intend to, but I cried as well. Partly from the memories of
old comrades and partly from the frustration with those who did that
to us.

Interestingly enough on Saturday just past, the Denver Post ran an
editorial/obit lionizing David Dellinger of Chicago Seven fame and
showing him in passionate embrace with Jerry Rubin. He was lauded for
his war resistance from WW II through Vietnam and the headline was
about "how much Dellinger taught us."

I sent a letter to the editor asking if the intent was to insult the
veterans of WW II on the day of dedication of their memorial or more
broadly to insult all veterans on Memorial Day weekend.

Old June 1st 04, 04:15 PM
John Mullen

"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
John Mullen wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

On 31 May 2004 18:45:49 GMT, Ian MacLure wrote:

wrote in
:

The Vietnam Memorial Wall

The what?

IBM

Seriously though unless this posting was aimed at bore Eurotrash
its kind of pointless and/or redundant.

Actually that would be the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. And, it shows
the names of US military that were killed in that war. Not those from
other services.

Here's an excerpt from "Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights" coming out in
Feb '05 that's my take on the wall:

(snip)

It would of course require a very much larger wall to list the Vitnamese

who
died in that previous ill-judged intervention.

Nothing to stop the Vietnamese from building one.

True.

I wonder if they have.

John

Old June 1st 04, 04:46 PM
Billy Beck

wrote:

But, the Wall
is black and buried, a depression in the ground symbolizing the
depression of the nation that did not win the war or respect the men
who fought it.

I think you're wrong on this one, Ed. To me the Wall is the most
beautiful and most moving monument anywhere in the world, the only one
I return to, and the only one that ever made me cry.

Dan,

I didn't intend to, but I cried as well. Partly from the memories of
old comrades and partly from the frustration with those who did that
to us.

That Memorial is *always* the top item on my to-do list whenever
I have a spare moment in Washington.

And I've seen it at every hour of the day, but it is never so
powerful as in the middle of the night.

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php