IFR & SUA

Old August 18th 04, 04:40 PM
Larry Richardson

Default IFR & SUA

Ok, I just stepped up to a better plane with a certified GPS and am about
to go on a cross country (likely IFR).

The Direct path takes me across a couple of Restricted Airspace. Should I
plan to avoid or file direct and let ATC handle it with the clearance ?

Larry.
Old August 18th 04, 05:53 PM
Stan Prevost

"Larry Richardson" wrote in message

The Direct path takes me across a couple of Restricted Airspace. Should I
plan to avoid or file direct and let ATC handle it with the clearance ?

A lot of people do the latter. I prefer to avoid if I can reasonably do so
and avoid the vectors. Usually filing airways through that area will keep
you clear, or direct to a nearby VOR and then direct to your destination.

Several times I have filed an avoidance route, then received an amended
clearance enroute, direct to destination.

First, check the SUA altitude limits, you may can fly over or under it.
Also, some are activated by NOTAM and you can determine the need to avoid by
checking NOTAMs.

Stan

Old August 18th 04, 08:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Stan Prevost" wrote:
A lot of people do the latter. I prefer to avoid if I can
reasonably do so and avoid the vectors. Usually filing
airways through that area will keep you clear, or direct
to a nearby VOR and then direct to your destination.

Stan's right, but don't cut it too close or you may get vectored anyway.
Your GPS may show you missing some SUA by 3 or 4 miles, but that's often not
far enough for the controller's comfort.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 19th 04, 12:18 AM
Stan Prevost

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Stan Prevost" wrote:
A lot of people do the latter. I prefer to avoid if I can
reasonably do so and avoid the vectors. Usually filing
airways through that area will keep you clear, or direct
to a nearby VOR and then direct to your destination.

Stan's right, but don't cut it too close or you may get vectored anyway.
Your GPS may show you missing some SUA by 3 or 4 miles, but that's often

not
far enough for the controller's comfort.

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. I have filed a route that cleared the
area by 3 miles (per chart) but got vectored anyway. Not often, though.

Stan

Old August 19th 04, 11:38 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Larry Richardson wrote:
The Direct path takes me across a couple of Restricted Airspace.

Should I
plan to avoid or file direct and let ATC handle it with the clearance

?

File direct.

If you have to go around it, they'll tell you. If you don't have to,
that's all the better.

Old August 20th 04, 03:09 AM
Ron Natalie

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message ...

If you have to go around it, they'll tell you. If you don't have to,
that's all the better.

Note that Restricted, Warnings, and MOA's you'll get routing around IFR.
IFR doesn't save you against TFR's universally.

Old August 21st 04, 01:02 AM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Ron Natalie"
writes:

Note that Restricted, Warnings, and MOA's you'll get routing around IFR.
IFR doesn't save you against TFR's universally.

Are you saying that the controllers don't know the TFR's? That prts the burden
back on the pilot that can't have the info available once in the air.

What a system!! :-(

Chuck
Old August 21st 04, 02:50 AM
Ron Natalie

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message ...

Are you saying that the controllers don't know the TFR's? That prts the burden
back on the pilot that can't have the info available once in the air.

What a system!! :-(

Welcome to life in these United States.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:37 AM
Mike Rapoport

I file around SUA that is likely to be active since it shortens the route
compared to getting routed around ir when you are close.

Mike
MU-2