Panel Mount Digital Volt Meter

Old October 29th 13, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Panel Mount Digital Volt Meter

Looking for a very small, simple, panel mount DVM. I've looked all over
eBay and Amazon and haven't found anything that suits my needs.

I can find plenty of LED versions, but they likely won't be satisfactory in
bright sunlight, and all the LCD meters I can find are huge. Something on
the order of 1/2 inch high by 1 1/2 inches wide, by 1/4 inch thick, that
could simply be gluded to the surface of the panel with a small hole to feed
the wires through would be ideal.

Just like OAT, I like to know my current power situation without fiddling
with the 302.

Old October 29th 13, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:53:18 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Looking for a very small, simple, panel mount DVM.

Here is one that is 0.82 inches high and 1.73 inches wide.
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...001_2095040_-1
Supply current is only 3 mA.
Old October 29th 13, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Easier than 302... See if there's one in your moving map display or COM radio.
Some examples:
ClearNav can be set to display a meter only when the battery drops to a user-selected voltage. AR6201 and I believe 4201 show voltage when in frequency adjust mode.
Jim
Old October 29th 13, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's the one!

Thanks, I've been looking for days.

Old October 29th 13, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Here is the voltmeter that I use - the Lascar EM1200. http://www.lascarelectronics.com/tem...datalogger=116

What is so nice about this unit is how it mounts using only one threaded (hollow) stud through which all the wires run. Drill one hole and you are set. Great stuff.

There is also an analog version. http://www.lascarelectronics.com/tem...datalogger=111

Simpler still is the single multi-color LED from http://www.gliderguider.net/batttery_monitor.htm.

Enjoy! - John

Old October 29th 13, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

If you use IOIO card for communication and XCSoar or TopHat SW
you can use battery voltage infobox.
-kimmo

Old October 30th 13, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The battery info box on my Streak running XCSoar (Top Hat is based on that)
shows only percent of charge of its internal battery.

Old October 30th 13, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

"Soartech" wrote in message
On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:53:18 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Looking for a very small, simple, panel mount DVM.

Here is one that is 0.82 inches high and 1.73 inches wide.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...001_2095040_-1
Supply current is only 3 mA.

Bought and fitted one of these. Threw it away when it failed a month later!

Old October 30th 13, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Bought and fitted one of these. Threw it away when it failed a month later!

Then you lost your $34. Should have returned it. A certain small percentage of electronic devices are subject to "infant mortality". Sorry you were the unlucky one that time. All high reliability electronics (jet engine fuel controls for example) are subjected to a lengthy burn-in period in a temperature chamber to weed out bad parts. But this is expensive and is not done for inexpensive consumer electronics.
Old October 30th 13, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

The voltage measurement is made in the IOIO card using analog
input. And you have to select voltage measurement under devices
menu.