Garmin 496-XM Radio-PS Engineering Intercom Follow up...

Old December 6th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Default Garmin 496-XM Radio-PS Engineering Intercom Follow up...

That P-3 must be a fun airplane to fly.

Karl
wrote in message
ups.com...
Jay, Karl,

Thanks for confirming that this menu is on the 496 and not the 396. I
thought I was looknig in the right place last weekend.

Thanks,
Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html

On Dec 3, 2:06 pm, "karl gruber" wrote:
It's not on a 396.

wrote in
oglegroups.com...

-

Old December 6th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

On Dec 5, 8:04 pm, "karl gruber" wrote:
That P-3 must be a fun airplane to fly.

wrote in oglegroups.com...

Yep, its a lot more fun than the Cessnas and Pipers I had previously
flown (not that I had an issue flying those though...). Unfortunately
it has very little value for transportation which means it gets
replaced sometime in the next few years with something a bit more
practical that the family can ride in. That's why I had been starting
the conversations on light twins vs. singles.

The P-3 has by far the best handling of anything I have flown except
the Pitts S2B. Its also built like a tank, which is a good thing for a
warbird approaching 50 years old. It is a lot more solid than a T-34,
although you pay the price in lower climb performance because the
airframe is so heavy. The other nice thing is that the interior is huge
for a 2 seat plane. I'm 6'2" and there is a lot of extra space inside.
I've had passengers who are 6'5" in the back seat and they had the seat
raised up off of the lowest position to give a better view over the
nose, with no headroom issues.

The European warbirds tend to be cheaper than the US ones because
nobody knows what they are. I've only landed at a couple of airports
where I wasn't asked what the plane is.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend the P-3 to anyone looking for something
really fun & different to fly, at roughly the same price & operating
cost as an older Cherokee Six, 210, 206, 182RG, etc... I'd love to be
flying a radial engined warbird someday (T-6, T-28), but those are
really out of my league on operating cost.

Where are you based out of Karl?

Old December 6th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I'm based out of Bremerton,Washington and fly the world's most hangar queeny
Cessna 185.

My day job is flying a Falcon 50.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old December 6th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

I'm based out of Bremerton,Washington and fly the world's most hangar queeny
Cessna 185.

My day job is flying a Falcon 50.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Both are great planes. Unfortunately I've never had the chance of
flying either one.

Old December 9th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

"Jim Burns" wrote:

Menards! Oh you're baiting me right? lol They will have exactly ONE
unit per store and it will be sold before the ad comes out.
If you buy 2, you can buy a short Y splitter that will plug into the
power cord. For short trips, the DVD's built in rechargable batteries
are good for several hours.

Wallyworld had them for the same price (includes external rechargable
battery pack) in decent quantities. Problem was that they won't play
VCD/SVCD/Divx movies... Kinda like Jay's CD player that won't play MP3's...
Old December 9th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Menards! Oh you're baiting me right? lol They will have exactly ONE
unit per store and it will be sold before the ad comes out.
If you buy 2, you can buy a short Y splitter that will plug into the
power cord. For short trips, the DVD's built in rechargable batteries
are good for several hours.

Wallyworld had them for the same price (includes external rechargable
battery pack) in decent quantities. Problem was that they won't play
VCD/SVCD/Divx movies... Kinda like Jay's CD player that won't play MP3's...

I'll say this about WalMart -- their Xmas lights are much higher
quality than Menards. Two weeks ago we strung Menards "icicle" lights
on three of our hotel's four front balconies, and WalMart's lights on
the fourth. About 25% of the Menards lights don't work now, and look
absolutely terrible. I'm gonna have to tear them down and put up
different ones, at the cost of half a day.

Never again.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA