garmin 496 - truning on and off mo xm subscription services....

Old May 19th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
~^ beancounter ~^

Default garmin 496 - truning on and off mo xm subscription services....

Gig...do you have to pay 3 sep account fees....or does the license
"travel" with
you or your device ?...

On May 19, 7:50*am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
200 some channels including LOTS of sports, news, talk, which isn't on
my iPod. I've got three XM accounts as it is home, hanger and truck.

When my plane is done and I get the 496 I'm going to figure out someway
* to use the 496 in place of the XM boom box at the hanger and also use
it when on trips in wifes car that doesn't have XM.

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
how so? is the $8 per mo worth it for music/radio?
compaired to ipods and mp3 players...?

" *It has *"- Hide quoted text -

Old May 19th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601Xl Builder

Darrel Toepfer wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Had it in a rental car on a trip to buy a plane in Ohio, I heard too
many song repeats within a days time and the talkshow/news sounded like
they were conducted over a telephone due to a high compression codec...

This was over 4 years ago, so maybe things have improved?

It has

Well with the legends of songs available, it just didn't seem possible to
hear repeats every 5 hours or less (much less everyday) on a premium
service...

I swore off their programming on that trip, sadly its even cheaper to
subscribe today than back then...

It sort of depends on what station you are listening to. There are some
stations that have formats that sort of force repeats regularly.

You get on channels like Deep Tracks and you will hear songs that you
never heard on the radio before and probably never will again.
Old May 19th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-05-19, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
When my plane is done and I get the 496 I'm going to figure out someway
to use the 496 in place of the XM boom box at the hanger and also use
it when on trips in wifes car that doesn't have XM.

At the hangar, get a boom box with an auxiliary audio input. Hopefully, your
wife's car stereo has one, too; if not, you can use an FM modulator, but on
a trip, you'll find yourself retuning it regularly unless you get one that
will insert in the line between the antenna and the radio. In either case,
you can feed it with the 496's audio output. I carry mine on business trips,
just so I have XM in rental cars that don't have it.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)

Old May 21st 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Well, I only buy the "lite" subscription at $29 odd bucks a month. It
appears to be a limitation of the technology that, if you don't use it
enough, the unit needs to be reinitialized. Only inconvenient under
certain circumstances.

So, they don't shut you down, you do (by not flying often enough).

Good Luck,
Mike

Oh yea, ?? Even though you keep throwin' the $50 per month? They
shut
you down w/out notice?...If so...that's a pita...

.stuff snipped from my original reply
I went out the other day to get...nothing. No feed. I went on the site
to discover (as others already have), that, if you don't use the thing
often enough, you get shut off. This requires a reactivation via the
Web. It worked. F.Y.I. to those who may idle the unit for a couple of
months.

Mike

Old May 21st 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Isaksen

"Mike Spera" ...
It appears to be a limitation of the technology that, if you
don't use it enough, the unit needs to be reinitialized.
So, they don't shut you down, you do (by not flying often enough).

How do they (XM) know if you are using their service. Isn't it a XM sat
receiver only. There is no feedback signal transmitted AFAIK. Maybe the
activation code they transmit is time limted by hardware/software coding in
the Receiver?

Old May 21st 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601Xl Builder

Mike Isaksen wrote:
"Mike Spera" ...
It appears to be a limitation of the technology that, if you
don't use it enough, the unit needs to be reinitialized.
So, they don't shut you down, you do (by not flying often enough).

How do they (XM) know if you are using their service. Isn't it a XM sat
receiver only. There is no feedback signal transmitted AFAIK. Maybe the
activation code they transmit is time limted by hardware/software coding in
the Receiver?

The problem comes from the issue that while you may have paid for a
month or a year or what ever the system is designed that it takes a new
authorization hit more often than just at the start of the term.

This isn't a problem for cars or home units that see the satellite most
or all of the time. But an airplane that might sit in a hanger for weeks
or even months loose their authorization and require a reauthorization.
In reality if you just pulled it out of the hanger and started it up it
would probably be reauthorized in 20-30 minutes without calling but most
people want it when they want it.

I thought they fixed (probably by increasing the reauthorization
frequency for those with aircraft subscriptions) the problem but that
might not be so.
Old May 21st 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote

I thought they fixed (probably by increasing the reauthorization frequency
for those with aircraft subscriptions) the problem but that might not be
so.

I thought I remember that a software patch was required, and was issued, to
take care of that problem.

No?
--
Jim in NC

Old May 26th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On May 16, 12:19*pm, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:
I am about to activitate my garmin 496 weather and music features
w the xm folks...

I am going to use the "full blown" weather service @ $50 + $7 for the
radio feature.....

Two questions...1) if I know I am not going to use the features for
say
2 months ( or longer ) ...can I temp. turn on and shut off w/out
penalities
or fees?

Or, does one need to keep going, month to month using the services it
or not?...and 2) whats the music quality like on the radio side? How
do
folks listen to the music ? ... Get a good set of headphones?
Portable
speakers? Or just use the built in factory speaker?.......

As always...thanx for ideas, comments, and tips.....

cheers.......

Back to the subject line. I have the aviator light and love it. I also
pay the extra for the music as I have a stereo intercom in my Viking.
The only real difference I see is lightning and winds aloft. I can
figure them out with the Garmin. You can't just shut the service off
at will and pay as you use.
Old May 26th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
~^ beancounter ~^

" lightning and winds aloft "

you get this info on the light package? i thought it was
only on the full or heavy service...if not...what extras do
you get on the full service..@ $50 per mo....?

how is the quality of the music? can/does it replace the
use/need for mp3 or cd palyers?...is it good fm quality? ie:
stero, low static, etc...

thanx

wrote:

[...]

at will and pay as you use.- Hide quoted text -