new SSA web site

Old April 6th 21, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

Default new SSA web site

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 1:18:11 AM UTC-4, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
Try this:
From the new SSA homepage, mouse over the "Membership" tab. This brings up three options and you want the "Members" Only Resources." Go down to "Member Services" and click on that. This will bring you to a page with "SSA Member Resources." Click on the "Log In" button. That brings you to a login page, for which you use your "old" login info. Login and you will be greeted by your name. Go to the "Home Page" and you will now be in the old SSA website links (the underlay to the new webpage) and will be able to find info you are familiar with across the board - the "old" racing menu, records, calendar, Johnson Report access, etc. As time goes on, the front page should eventually provide a smooth interface to all this.

Very helpful.
Need to get the word out to membership.
UH
Old April 6th 21, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 4/6/2021 1:18 AM, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
Try this:
From the new SSA homepage, mouse over the "Membership" tab. This brings up three options and you want the "Members" Only Resources." Go down to "Member Services" and click on that. This will bring you to a page with "SSA Member Resources." Click on the "Log In" button. That brings you to a login page, for which you use your "old" login info. Login and you will be greeted by your name. Go to the "Home Page" and you will now be in the old SSA website links (the underlay to the new webpage) and will be able to find info you are familiar with across the board - the "old" racing menu, records, calendar, Johnson Report access, etc. As time goes on, the front page should eventually provide a smooth interface to all this.

With newfangled web programming it may look different to different
viewers, but I don't see a membership "tab". In the drop-down menu (the
three lines icon in the upper right) there is a "membership" entry. If
I click on it I get a page with nothing useful. If instead I click on
the drop-down arrow on the right end of that "membership" line, I see
"Members Only Resources". If I click on that, it drops down a submenu
of three items: Soaring mag, member locator, and sailplane directory.
I don't see "Member Services" anywhere.

And in any case, why build a "new website" that is just an annoying
overlay over the old website?

If anybody's listening, here's what I'd like to see:
* a "site map" page with links only (no "media")
* one login that gets you to *everything*
* an option to "remember me" so you don't have to login every time
* let me choose a short password I can remember
* no "Captcha"
Old April 6th 21, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 4/6/21 7:01 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 4/6/2021 1:18 AM, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
Try this:
Â*From the new SSA homepage, mouse over the "Membership" tab. This
brings up three options and you want the "Members" Only Resources." Go
down to "Member Services" and click on that. This will bring you to a
page with "SSA Member Resources." Click on the "Log In" button. That
brings you to a login page, for which you use your "old" login info.
Login and you will be greeted by your name. Go to the "Home Page" and
you will now be in the old SSA website links (the underlay to the new
webpage) and will be able to find info you are familiar with across
the board - the "old" racing menu, records, calendar, Johnson Report
access, etc. As time goes on, the front page should eventually provide
a smooth interface to all this.

With newfangled web programming it may look different to different
viewers, but I don't see a membership "tab".Â* In the drop-down menu (the
three lines icon in the upper right) there is a "membership" entry.Â* If
I click on it I get a page with nothing useful.Â* If instead I click on
the drop-down arrow on the right end of that "membership" line, I see
"Members Only Resources".Â* If I click on that, it drops down a submenu
of three items:Â* Soaring mag, member locator, and sailplane directory. I
don't see "Member Services" anywhere.

And in any case, why build a "new website" that is just an annoying
overlay over the old website?

If anybody's listening, here's what I'd like to see:
* a "site map" page with links only (no "media")
* one login that gets you to *everything*
* an option to "remember me" so you don't have to login every time
* let me choose a short password I can remember
* no "Captcha"

I got eNews email from SSA on March 31 and April 1, the latter said to
expect another email within 24 hrs with a password reset link. Never
received that. They said to send feedback to feedback at ssa.org fwiw.

Wonder if it would be possible to revert to the old website for the
remainder of this season, since obviously they still have a number of
issues to work on. It's hard to imagine using the current site with
slow internet, and yes the timing of the changes was abysmal.

Old April 6th 21, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 1:02:59 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
What Moshe said. ...And I haven't even looked at it (I'm afraid...)

Dan
5J
On 4/6/21 7:01 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 4/6/2021 1:18 AM, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
Try this:
From the new SSA homepage, mouse over the "Membership" tab. This
[...]

I did the following:
Go to https://members.ssa.org/login.asp.
This asks for member ID and password. My information is the same as it has been for years. ID is my membership number and then my old password.
This gets to SSA Member Resources.
Select My Home Page
That gets to much of the original SSA home page. Not all the links are there, but the ones important to me, and contest pilots, are all there and functional.
Some things have not worked. When I have found glitches I have advised Frank Whiteley. He has been very responsive in trying to get them resolved.
When a few of us were consulted last Fall we advised not to mess with the stuff deeper in the site that works because that all is very involved and no doubt beyond what the web site developer consultant will be able to do. My advice was to get the new face working with absolutely the least effect on the underlying functions as possible. It appears that the current situation does the latter.
FWIW
UH
Old April 6th 21, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 4/6/2021 2:19 PM, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 1:02:59 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
What Moshe said. ...And I haven't even looked at it (I'm afraid...)

Dan
5J
On 4/6/21 7:01 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 4/6/2021 1:18 AM, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
Try this:
From the new SSA homepage, mouse over the "Membership" tab. This
[...]

Thanks Hank. That does work for me. I've now bookmarked that login
page, and also this one in case it remembers my login:
https://members.ssa.org/MyHome.asp

Old April 6th 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

What Hank and others have said about the members.ssa.org site being a "fallback" option to get to the old site systems is mostly true.

However, the situation is _RIPE_ for confusion because the New website shows an Events Calendar and a Racing Calendar - but the information on those was just copied from the old site at a point in time. It is NOT updating as people change information on the members.ssa.org website.

This means that over time the information on www.ssa.org and members.ssa.org is going to drift out of sync (it already has done so for some events). So visitor "A" will look at an event on the new calendar and visitor "B" will look at an event on the old calendar, and wind up with different information!

As I have said befo I am sure that there was the best of intentions; but this is an absolute mess. Its not about being afraid of change or not liking the new look & feel. Its about the management of the project, the systems, and thinking through how these new systems will actually *work* and be interacted-with by the Membership and the Public.

--Noel

Old April 6th 21, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 12:02:59 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
What Moshe said. ...And I haven't even looked at it (I'm afraid...)

Dan
5J
On 4/6/21 7:01 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 4/6/2021 1:18 AM, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
Try this:
From the new SSA homepage, mouse over the "Membership" tab. This
[...]

Hi Dan,
Tried to get your contact information from SSA, no good.
On a total tangent, Do you remember your Mosquito B from 1979, I'm a partner in it since yesterday.
I don't suppose you have the cg release stuff in a box somewhere?
Good Lift,
Scott Williams
Old April 7th 21, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]

To use 'Member Locator', find the 'old' site using directions above then click 'News' for drop down showing 'Member Locator'.

SSA web site Roger Soaring 15 April 3rd 05 05:47 PM
EAA site down? Jay Honeck Piloting 5 March 7th 05 06:12 AM
new site for creating project log and web site Rob Home Built 2 November 23rd 04 07:21 PM
See My Site Jürgen Exner Simulators 0 January 5th 04 01:37 AM
site FBI © 2003 Aviation Marketplace 0 July 7th 03 11:47 AM