The Accumulated Time Scoring System

Old December 14th 05, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Accumulated Time Scoring System

Hello

After following some link on this discussion I ended oncle more to the
Gliding and Motorgliding International website.

I browsed the news and found out an article about The Accumulated Time
Scoring System by Tor Johannesen and Ronald Stuck.

I may have missed if here has been any discussion over the subject but I
have just one question:

What if all pilots land out?

It has happened and it will...

Can't keep my tongue out of my cheek - even Ronald Stuck didn't think what
would happen if everyone was stuck

BR

Hannu (been scoring sometimes)

Old December 15th 05, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

hannu schrieb:

Hello

After following some link on this discussion I ended oncle more to the
Gliding and Motorgliding International website.

I browsed the news and found out an article about The Accumulated Time
Scoring System by Tor Johannesen and Ronald Stuck.

I may have missed if here has been any discussion over the subject but I
have just one question:

What if all pilots land out?

It has happened and it will...

Can't keep my tongue out of my cheek - even Ronald Stuck didn't think what
would happen if everyone was stuck

BR

Hannu (been scoring sometimes)

Hi Hannu

The original Idea of how to score a Soaring Grand Prix type competition
was Total Elapsed Time or Time Differences. It was done at the trial GP
in 2004 and I have no idea why this was changed to a Formula1 type
scoring. Anyway: In St. Auban at the Grand Prix the day would have been
scrapped if all land out. It nearly happened on the last two days.

If you DO have Time Difference Scoring, Total Elapsed Time Scoring, or
Total Accumulated Time Scoring, or whatever you want to call it, it's
not very difficult to score an outlanding day either. All that really
has to be done is to define a conversion factor between time and
distance.

Generally non-finishers are scored (or you could say they get a time
penalty) according to the distance missing to finish. So for example
they get 1 Point = 1 Minute per missing km. This means they get the
same points as if they had flown the rest of the task at 60km/h. Of
course you can do the same with the winner (who came closest to
finishing).
If you have Time Difference Scoring the winner gets a score of 0
Minutes, no matter if he finishes or not - very, very simple.
If you have Total Elapsed Time Scoring you first need a Basic Time for
the non-finishing winner. This could also be 0 or, for example, 1
Minute per task length km. So if the winner lands 50km short of the
finish line on a 300km task he gets the basic time of 300 Minutes plus
his outlanding penalty of 50 totalling a time score of 350 Minutes. The
runner-up who flew 10km less gets 360 Minutes.
Alternatively you could score the winner with his actually flown time
to the outlanding position. This would be a bit more consistent with
the name of the scoring: Elapsed Time.

The point is it doesn't matter how you do it. The scoreboard will
always be the same and the differences between competitors will also be
the same if you always use the same conversion factor between time and
distance.

Regards
Marcel