Iraq: Al-Sadr makes a move.

Old October 20th 06, 03:34 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
David E. Powell

Default Iraq: Al-Sadr makes a move.

They really should have gone after this guy about 2 years back when he
started the problems. Southern Iraq had been pretty quiet, and now this

right near the Iranian border. The General they have on CNN is right.
The Iraq gov't has made exuses for this guy and not gone after him. I
fthey're not willing to do something about an entire city on fire, it
will be a bad move on their part. This is going to be a big test for
the new gov't there.

Old October 20th 06, 10:14 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
tscottme

Default Al-Sadr makes a move.

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
ups.com...
They really should have gone after this guy about 2 years back when he
started the problems. Southern Iraq had been pretty quiet, and now this

Nearly all parties involved have been trying not to wage war sufficiently
for several years now. This is just another example. From the start this
war should have been waged as if every last creature will be killed, and let
the trouble makers race each other to prove they are no longer in the
resistance business. Instead the coalition forces have been racing each
other to see which partner can avoid seeing what is plain to see. Until we
see a General Sherman approach of taking the war into the centers of
support, not just shooting the "foot soldiers" which allow the power brokers
in Riyadh, Tehran, and Islambad to indulge in their fanatsy, this war will
continue.

Our enemy isn't necessarily the rank and file of Iraq, but we should use
massive war to force them to drive out the troublemakers from among their
midst. We will never be able to read the minds of Iraqis and sort the good
Muslims from the bad Muslims. Therefore we need to demonstrate to all of
them that we are perfectly able to destroy all of their world in a moment,
and we will lose no sleep in doing it, unless they demonstrate a clear
surrender to our will. Slow war, is not an easy war. This is especially
important when fighting people from a shame/honor culture. Those are the
people that it is most important to defeat comprehensively. Our mercy
should be reserved for the day after they recognize they have been defeated.

--

Scott

Drain the swamp. Deport Islam. Until Muslims observe and protect
human/religious rights of others they should not be allowed to remain in the
West. Islam, as practiced, is incompatible with Western freedom.

Old October 21st 06, 02:09 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
forssberg

David E. Powell wrote:
They really should have gone after this guy about 2 years back when he
started the problems. Southern Iraq had been pretty quiet, and now this

right near the Iranian border. The General they have on CNN is right.
The Iraq gov't has made exuses for this guy and not gone after him. I
fthey're not willing to do something about an entire city on fire, it
will be a bad move on their part. This is going to be a big test for
the new gov't there.

The generals are politically inept as always. It would not have been
possible to go after him then, just like it's not possible now. He
always had a huge constituency among the Shiite masses, including in
2003 when he was powerful enough to openly challenge the then existing
religious hierarchy.

Right now, Al-Sadr is the best bet - probably the only one too - that
Iraqi Shiites have to form a viable state. Rather than the usual
wishful thinking maybe the same generals should start examining the
Iraqi internal situation in terms of balance of power; there are two
extremes operating over there, maybe they could cancel each other out.
A neutered Iraq would still be a strategic success.

Old October 21st 06, 05:29 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Raptor

tscottme wrote:
[...]

It's an insurgency. You don't win by killing the enemy. You win by
cutting off their reinforcements.

If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
speaking German now.
Old October 21st 06, 05:57 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
tscottme

That's funny Sept 11 happened when we were far more isolationist than we are
likely ever to be in the future. It has taken 5 years of fighting in Iraq
to achieve a similar body count as happened in a couple of hours on one
Tuesday morning.

Your prescription is to ceede more and more ground in the vain attempt that
those that will always find a reason to attack the US will eventually
succumb to reason and a good example. We couldn't avoid WWII by giving away
"breathing space" any more than we can .

The best compromise is to beat our enemy like a rapid dog and then withdraw.
--

Scott

Drain the swamp. Deport Islam. Until Muslims observe and protect
human/religious rights of others they should not be allowed to remain in the
West. Islam, as practiced, is incompatible with Western freedom.
"eponymous cowherd" wrote in message
In article ,
"tscottme" wrote:

We will never be able to read the minds of Iraqis and sort the good
Muslims from the bad Muslims.

Then why not leave iraq, prevent muslim immigration and make it
extremely difficult for muslims to travel to the us. This should save
american lives better than winning a war in iraq. The soldiers lost
either winning or losing in iraq count as dead americans. Isolationism
yields the fewest dead americans, that is the right choice.

Old October 21st 06, 06:04 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
tscottme

"Raptor" wrote in message
tscottme wrote:
[...]

That's why I envoked the General Sherman reference. The American Civil War
wasn't won because the Union killed all the Southern soldiers. Sherman
waged war on the plantation owners and war-making abilility of the South.
The Salafists and the Twelvers will fight until the last future cab driver
is dead in the street. They won't fight 1 month after their butt is set
ablaze.

Old October 21st 06, 06:17 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Ian MacLure

"David E. Powell" wrote in
ups.com:

They really should have gone after this guy about 2 years back when he
started the problems. Southern Iraq had been pretty quiet, and now this
right near the Iranian border. The General they have on CNN is right.
The Iraq gov't has made exuses for this guy and not gone after him. I
fthey're not willing to do something about an entire city on fire, it
will be a bad move on their part. This is going to be a big test for
the new gov't there.

There has been some discussion recently about whether al-Sadr
actually controls the Mehdi Army any more. There are apparently
factions within that organisation that are no longer taking his
orders. This complicates things slightly.
Having said that we may be in for round three with these clowns.
If thats the case then not capping al-Sadr would be a crime
against humanity.
Old October 21st 06, 10:45 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
John Gilbert

"tscottme" wrote in message
That's funny Sept 11 happened when we were far more isolationist than we

are
likely ever to be in the future. It has taken 5 years of fighting in Iraq
to achieve a similar body count as happened in a couple of hours on one
Tuesday morning.

Point of fact, the body count in Iraq is 600,000+ and rising.

John Gilbert

Old October 21st 06, 04:19 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
Dann

On 21 Oct 2006, John Gilbert said the following in
link.net.

"tscottme" wrote in message
That's funny Sept 11 happened when we were far more isolationist than
we

are
likely ever to be in the future. It has taken 5 years of fighting in
Iraq to achieve a similar body count as happened in a couple of hours
on one Tuesday morning.

Point of fact, the body count in Iraq is 600,000+ and rising.

A fact based accounting puts the number between 50,000 & 100,000.

--
Regards,
Dann

Gilbert and Sullivan...the team that made opera palatable.

Old October 21st 06, 04:43 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.military
William Black

0.81...

"tscottme" wrote in message
That's funny Sept 11 happened when we were far more isolationist than
we

are
likely ever to be in the future. It has taken 5 years of fighting in
Iraq to achieve a similar body count as happened in a couple of hours
on one Tuesday morning.

Point of fact, the body count in Iraq is 600,000+ and rising.

A fact based accounting puts the number between 50,000 & 100,000.

A what?

We're talking about a study by the John Hopkins School of Epidemeology
published in a peer reviewed journal.

Produce a similar academic study subjected to peer review that uses 'fact
based accounting' please.

--
William Black

Time for tea.