astir cs-77 water ballast

Old May 26th 04, 07:38 AM
pete83

Default astir cs-77 water ballast

As i know the astir cs-77 has integral-water-tanks. How likely is it
that the construction is leaky and water can reach parts of the wings
where it can't flow off again? What could be happend if the tanks
would be leaky ?
Old May 26th 04, 02:27 PM
Robertmudd1u

As i know the astir cs-77 has integral-water-tanks. How likely is it
that the construction is leaky and water can reach parts of the wings
where it can't flow off again? What could be happend if the tanks
would be leaky ?

I operated an Astir CS for about 10 years and flew with water almost every
flight. I never expirenced a water leak of the wing tanks.

If they did leak it is possable to fix then, consult with your local glider
mechanic.

The seals in the fuselage where the water tube plugs in must be replaced every
couple of years. Also I recommend inspecting the "O ring" in the dump valve. if
you don't know when these were last replaced then you should replace them
before carrying water as they are likely quite old.

I would be more concerned with water leaking into the fuselage than into the
wing because the result could be an adverse C.G. movement.

Robert Mudd
Old May 27th 04, 02:57 AM
Robertmudd1u

Is it hard to fly with water?

I did not find it to be so. My Astir CS only carried 11 US gallons,
41.6 liters per side.

You could feel the extra weight but it never caused any handeling problems. I
always took off with full tanks. Even landed once, on a smooth surface, with
full tanks. Takes about 3 min, to drain in the air.

One problrem was the vent system. Unless you hold the wings level after filling
the vent on the down wing will syphon a lot of the water out.

I assume all this applys to the Astir 77. I believe then CS and 77 have
identical water systems.

Robert
Old May 27th 04, 05:21 AM
John Orton

The tanks in the 77 are the same system as used in the Astir Cs.
I operated Astir Cs for many years and flew with water regularly. There is
also one in our club that I have to do maintenance on some times.

Considering that the tanks are just forward of the main spar I think that
the danger with a leak is that the water will leach into the structure and
weaken it.
In Australia there is a general Airworthiness Directive for all fibreglass
wing tanks that they must be leaked tested each year. The relevant one is
AD165.
I know that there has been several tanks found to be leaking using this test
and many have been repaired using several methods. Some repair methods are
less successful than others. Some have been Astir and others have been
Jantars and a Mosquito so the problem is not just on the Astir.

om...