hydraulic disk brake upgrade

Old June 26th 13, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shkdriver shkdriver is offline
Member

Default hydraulic disk brake upgrade

Hello,
Has anyone done a disc brake replacement of an original drum brake?
I have reverse engineered a replacement 400x4 wheel for my SHK-1 which uses a hydraulic disk and caliper, and a beringer stick mounted lever master cylinder all employing dot 4 brake fluid, (EPDM seals throughout)
The original axle, and retractable landing gear are not modified and are retained, the new components all weigh within 2 lbs of the original (Zundapp motorcycle) wheel. The new wheel required fabrication of spacers and the construction of a new torque arm using existing gear leg anchor "lug".
My glider is not identified in any Schempp-Hirth supplemental TC's for a disk brake modification, however, the tost disk brake conversions are all termed "minor alterations" in the Easa documentation for Discus-Ventus etc.
Further, Schempp-Hirth has informed me that they no longer support the SHK, due to resource management considerations.

I am mostly interested in fellow glider owners who would be willing to supply a copy of any 337's, or logbook entries concerning the installation of a disk brake, and or a beringer lever master cylinder into a standard type certificated glider. My A&P AI would be performing the installation, and is interested in how others have documented these installations.
If other Owners were only willing to share their experience (and Tail number), I could get copies of the 337 from the FAA.
This is essentially an installation of owner produced parts, not to be sold..

I guess I should also put in here that I have read most of the prior threads about Vintage brake, arcing pads, the kobold/hydraulic/cable kit, Modifying the drum shoes to be "self energizing" and just living with an ineffective factory brake.
So, Thanks for reading, and here's to a safe and fun season!

Good Lift,
Scott W.

Old June 26th 13, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:25:17 -0700, shkdriver wrote:

Hello,
Has anyone done a disc brake replacement of an original drum brake?

Ask Rick Mayes at Williams Soaring.

Back in 2001 I flew their SZD Junior, which they'd converted to a
hydraulic brake (I can't remember if it was disk or drum, sorry. It
worked much better than the usual factory-fitted Junior brake which is
digital - it either binds but stops the glider or doesn't bind and
doesn't stop it. They no longer have a Junior, but I'd be surprised if
they can't help.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old June 27th 13, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:25:17 PM UTC-6, shkdriver wrote:
I am mostly interested in...
a beringer lever master cylinder into a standard type certificated glider.

The Beringer master cylinder is used in all Antares
and IIRC current SH gliders with Beringer wheels.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

PS: The Beringer brake system is fabulous !
A real, reliable, light, super-effective wheel-brake !