Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown RIP

Old February 22nd 16, 12:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
gemil

Default Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown RIP

My Hero.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854

Flew most German rocket/jet aircraft.
Flew 487 different types of aircraft, a world record that is unlikely ever
to be matched.
Piloted 2,407 aircraft carrier landings
Appointed MBE, OBE and CBE
Survived 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
Was at the liberation of Bergen Belsen.
Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich
Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma
Grese
~~
Dingo

Old February 22nd 16, 01:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Charles Lindbergh

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 00:00:34 -0000, "gemil"
wrote:

My Hero.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854

Flew most German rocket/jet aircraft.
Flew 487 different types of aircraft, a world record that is unlikely ever
to be matched.
Piloted 2,407 aircraft carrier landings
Appointed MBE, OBE and CBE
Survived 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
Was at the liberation of Bergen Belsen.
Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich
Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma
Grese
~~
Dingo

I have seen him on the History Channel many times, seemed like a very
affable, modest fellow. RIP.

Old February 23rd 16, 10:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RiĀ©ardo

On 22/02/2016 00:00, gemil wrote:

My Hero.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854

Flew most German rocket/jet aircraft.
Flew 487 different types of aircraft, a world record that is unlikely
ever to be matched.
Piloted 2,407 aircraft carrier landings
Appointed MBE, OBE and CBE
Survived 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
Was at the liberation of Bergen Belsen.
Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich
Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma
Grese ~~
Dingo

There's an excellent obituary of "Winkle" he

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html

A giant of a man.

Ri©ardo

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures

Old February 23rd 16, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
gemil

"Ri©ardo" wrote in message

There's an excellent obituary of "Winkle" he

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html

A giant of a man.

Ri©ardo

Thanx Ri©ardo, as you have said, an excellent piece.

Which museums do you have in your sights for this year ?
All the best,
~~
Dingo ;~)

Old February 23rd 16, 05:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RiĀ©ardo

On 23/02/2016 16:21, gemil wrote:

"Ri©ardo" wrote in message

There's an excellent obituary of "Winkle" he

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html

A giant of a man.

Ri©ardo

Thanx Ri©ardo, as you have said, an excellent piece.

Which museums do you have in your sights for this year ?
All the best,
~~
Dingo ;~)

Hi Dingo,

It's good to see that you're still with us, and yes, Winkle was a man of
considerable stature, despite being a short arse!

My travel plans for the coming year are on hold at present as I
foolishly had a hernia operation late last year and seem to have ended
up worse than I was before it, which is somewhat restricting!

However, I seem to have done most of the major European aviation
museums, with Paris, Berlin, Prague, Madrid, Brussels and Krakow, to
mention a few. I had intended to visit the one in Kiev, but with the
situation there with the Russians my contact in the Diplomatic Corps has
been recalled to the UK and now seems to be working at some place near
Cheltenham... ;-)

Best wishes to you Dingo, chin up and all that.

Ri©ardo

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z Avro Lancaster PA474 Close Ups 23.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	82298
Old February 24th 16, 07:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
PVK[_3_]

On 22/02/2016 00:00, gemil wrote:

My Hero.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854

Flew most German rocket/jet aircraft.
Flew 487 different types of aircraft, a world record that is unlikely
ever to be matched.
Piloted 2,407 aircraft carrier landings
Appointed MBE, OBE and CBE
Survived 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
Was at the liberation of Bergen Belsen.
Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich
Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma
Grese ~~
Dingo

In addition to all of his aviation achievements and records, Captain
Brown once sang with the Glenn Miller orchestra, and was complimented on
his voice by Glenn himself.

Regards
Paul
Old February 24th 16, 10:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
gemil

"Ri©ardo" wrote in message

My travel plans for the coming year are on hold at present as I
foolishly had a hernia operation late last year and seem to have ended
up worse than I was before it, which is somewhat restricting!

Hi Ricardo,

Sorry to hear that; hope you get sorted ASAP. I too know all about being
restricted -- had to give up driving a year ago and am now housebound except
for trips to the GP. As has been said "old age comes at a most inconvenient
time".

Not much in the way of aircraft activity here in IP21, commercial flights
over *my* airspace seem fewer than a couple of years back. Even the KC 135s
& C. 130s from Mildenhall are few and far between so, at 03.25 about a week
ago, my ears pricked up to the sound of a 'heavy' prop job coming my way.
Wotta grinding, throbbing din even tho' it was oviously fairly high - in
fact, it was audible for almost 10 mins. Checking Flightradar24 it turned
out to be a An 12 as per the attached.

All the best and thanx for the Lanc pic.
~~
Dingo ;~)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruby Star @DINGO PC.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	82308
Old February 24th 16, 03:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RiĀ©ardo

On 24/02/2016 10:30, gemil wrote:

"Ri©ardo" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for your comments Dingo, and the comment about old age is spot
on! It's also a right bugger when you can't drive, as I discovered.
However, we do have a bus from the village half a dozen times a day so
it's not too bad.

We don't get much over here, but depending upon which way the wind
blows, usually it's a westerly, we get some of the outbound traffic from
Bristol Airport, and if it's an east wind we get some of the inbound
stuff which flies up the Bristol Channel and then turns over the
Weston-super-Mare area. We also get a bit of east to west traffic
inbound for Cardiff. There's rarely anything exciting though, unless
it's the Weston Air Day, which is where I took the Lancaster picture.

Here's another little gem from Bristol Airport of a Weston Air Day
participant. That Hurricane came in a bit sharpish. The other picture is
of the pilot - as he lowered the undercarriage for landing one of the
hydraulic lines went and he was sprayed with the fluid which he was
still wiping off his chin when he came over for a chat. The RAF back up
team did a swift repair job, however, and he was able to do his display
as scheduled.

Take care of yourself, and best wishes to you too.

Ri©ardo

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures