The British 707 that could have been

Old May 1st 16, 05:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

Default The British 707 that could have been

The British aircraft manufacturing industry of the postwar era was a mess.
There were petty disputes among companies, redundant research because no one
wanted to share anything, lack of public funding (this one is
understandable), and failure to adapt to the new era of air travel.

"We have handed to the Americans, without a struggle, the entire world
market for big jet airliners." ā€” George Edwards, Vickers managing director

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vickers_V_1000-1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	83565
Old May 1st 16, 07:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
R2D2

On Sun, 1 May 2016 11:44:17 -0500, "Byker" wrote:

The British aircraft manufacturing industry of the postwar era was a mess.
There were petty disputes among companies, redundant research because no one
wanted to share anything, lack of public funding (this one is
understandable), and failure to adapt to the new era of air travel.

"We have handed to the Americans, without a struggle, the entire world
market for big jet airliners." — George Edwards, Vickers managing director

There's also the fact that the gov and BOAC only supported/financed
aircraft designed to cover the Empire routes, which were all
short-ranged and needed low passanger nymbers... and refused to
sanction bigger planes.
Old May 1st 16, 07:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"R2D2" wrote in message ...

There's also the fact that the gov and BOAC only supported/financed
aircraft designed to cover the Empire routes, which were all short-ranged
and needed low passanger nymbers... and refused to sanction bigger planes.

Passenger numbers had to be kept down because in the aftermath of WWII, few
people could afford to fly. No airline, not even BOAC, wanted Bristol
Brabazons or Saro Princess flying boats.

Boeing took notice of the V.1000's six-abreast seating layout and
incorporated it into their up-and-coming 707, so not all of Vickers' efforts
were for naught.

Old May 2nd 16, 11:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RiĀ©ardo

On 01/05/2016 17:44, Byker wrote:
The British aircraft manufacturing industry of the postwar era was a mess.
There were petty disputes among companies, redundant research because no
one
wanted to share anything, lack of public funding (this one is
understandable), and failure to adapt to the new era of air travel.

"We have handed to the Americans, without a struggle, the entire world
market for big jet airliners." ā€” George Edwards, Vickers managing director

So the de Havilland Comet, albeit flawed (from which much was learnt by
the world aviation industry) never led the way? As we know "the pioneer
doesn't always get the best land, sometimes he ends up dead in a ditch
with arrows in his back."

As for "no one wanted to share anything", and supposed "redundant
research", we did share a great deal but, unfortunately, it seems it was
with the wrong people.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/miles_m-52.php

"At the time of the M-52's development, there was a so-called
bi-lateral "agreement" between the UK and the US to share all knowledge
and research data into supersonic flight. Reps from Bell and the USAF
visited Woodley (home of the MIles Aircraft company) where they were
shown everything and given all the data they wanted. Away they went with
all of Miles data and experience but it was then discovered that an Act
of Congress forbade giving away sensitive data to another country!
Surprise, surprise! Shortly afterwards the Bell X-1 flew super-sonically
for the first time and one only needs to look at it to see its heritage.
The M-52 and Winkle Brown could have done this is if our then government
had not been so wimpish or was it put under unknown pressure as a later
one was with TSR-2?"

I could also mention the McMahon Act and the sharing of nuclear
information...

RiĀ©ardo

--
Moving Things In Still Pictures
Old May 2nd 16, 06:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
R2D2

On Sun, 1 May 2016 13:57:30 -0500, "Byker" wrote:

"R2D2" wrote in message ...

There's also the fact that the gov and BOAC only supported/financed
aircraft designed to cover the Empire routes, which were all short-ranged
and needed low passanger nymbers... and refused to sanction bigger planes.

Passenger numbers had to be kept down because in the aftermath of WWII, few
people could afford to fly. No airline, not even BOAC, wanted Bristol
Brabazons or Saro Princess flying boats.

Yes, but that short-sighted view crippled almost any possible expert
deals...
Old May 2nd 16, 07:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
R2D2

On Mon, 2 May 2016 11:59:22 +0100, Ri©ardo
wrote:

[...]

Add giving away to the USSR the engine powered 2 geenrations of Migs
and the Il-28...
Old May 2nd 16, 10:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"R2D2" wrote in message ...

Add giving away to the USSR the engine powered 2 geenrations of Migs and
the Il-28...

And allowing British Communist sympathizers in on secrets during the
Manhattan Project...
Old May 2nd 16, 10:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"RiĀ©ardo" wrote in message

So the de Havilland Comet, albeit flawed (from which much was learnt by
the world aviation industry) never led the way? As we know "the pioneer
doesn't always get the best land, sometimes he ends up dead in a ditch
with arrows in his back."

The contemporary Sud Aviation Caravelle served the European market quite
well

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caravelle.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	83591
Old May 3rd 16, 05:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-05-02 21:46:08 +0000, "Byker" said:

"RiĀ©ardo" wrote in message

So the de Havilland Comet, albeit flawed (from which much was learnt by
the world aviation industry) never led the way? As we know "the pioneer
doesn't always get the best land, sometimes he ends up dead in a ditch
with arrows in his back."

The contemporary Sud Aviation Caravelle served the European market quite
well

image

In the 50s and 60's, as a passenger I have flown in Caravelles
(primarily SABENA), Viscounts, DC3's, DC6's, DC7's, DC9's, Electras,
Constellations and 727's, all over parts of North America, Africa and
South America. All my long haul flights up until the early 1970s were
in Connies, Electras, and 707s of various airlines.
Then there was also a period (69-71) when the most common form of
aviation for me was very much rotary wing, with an occasional 707
and/or L-1011 thrown in.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

British Crash... Sean F (F2) Soaring 8 February 16th 14 08:16 AM
ID of British aircraft Dutch[_3_] Aviation Photos 3 October 30th 09 05:32 PM
First British Jet Engine.... Canuck[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 September 2nd 08 04:32 PM
Why are so many British men gay? allan connochie Piloting 4 June 20th 07 01:51 PM
British Sailors Bruce T. Soaring 1 April 4th 07 05:35 AM