How safe is the sport of soaring today

Old May 14th 04, 01:40 PM
Robertmudd1u

With the increase of glider accidents these days, just how safe is
this sport? There is always a element of risk associated with flying
but how does soaring compare with other forms of aviation or
motorsports?

This looks like a troll to me. Lets be careful about what we say.

Here in the USA the media is out to paint general aviation in a bad light. See
the AOPA web site. We should not give them any help.

Robert Mudd
Old May 15th 04, 12:05 AM
Michel Talon

Bill Daniels wrote:

Yes, for three reasons.

1. Accidents provide justification for more regulation.
2. Accidents increase insurance premiums for all of us.
3. Accidents create bad press which reduces our opportunity to grow the
sport.

I would turn it around and suggest that the individual pilot has an
obligation to protect the soaring community at large from the consequences
of his unsafe actions.

I don't think so. I think your argument has moral connotations that
i am not sure i like. Generally moralist people are far too much
dangerous for my taste. Gliding (or power flying) is a dangerous sport,
nothing and nobody can change that. There are a lot of other dangerous
sports, like climbing, diving, etc. Unfortunately a lot of people die
each year climbing or diving or even skying. One has to be honest and
say these sports are dangerous, after that, it is each one responsibilty
to take risks or not. One can try to give good advice to fellows, such
as "keep speed" and avoid spin at all price. This will not deter
idiots to fly at stall speed + 1 km/h in order to "better center
thermals", or to spend all their time playing with their GPS, their
Palm and other crap instead of looking outside. Even when you take
all possible precautions there are excellent pilots who kill themselves.
I have known an instructor, who was around 40, in excellent physical
condition, intellectually very alert (he was a medical doctor), an
excellent XC performer, still he crashed in the Alps with his brand
new Schleicher. I have a collegue who has been a glider champion, and
induced his son to also become a champion. At around 20 he killed
himself during a championship. Now the father is desperate.

Bill Daniels

--

Michel TALON

Old May 15th 04, 05:29 AM
Tom Seim

Every year this (or a similar) thread shows up on RAS. Basically, it
is "Oh Muh God, people are DIEING!

Step back and take a deep breath; has anything fundamentally changed
in the sport? I don't think so. Soaring has its hazards and that will
not change. If you want to reduce your risk: stop flying! Clearly, the
sport would be better off if some of the pilots did this. Cheer up,
Lennie the Lurker did!

Soaring requires a higher degree of pilot proficiency than powered
flight does. Nothing is going to change that, although technology
might help to a small degree, i.e. collision avoidance devices. Most
accidents, however, don't involve this (like the fatality at Air
Sailing).

The wild card in all of this is how will each individual pilot react
to a real emergency. Sometimes training can simulate an emergency, but
the student will always think, in the back of his/hers mind, that the
instructor will bail him/her out if he/she screws up.

I don't like going to friends funerals anymore than the next guy, but
I'm not willng to give up the sport to eliminate the possibility.

Tom Seim
Richland, WA
Old May 15th 04, 06:18 AM
Steve / Sperry

The "Cheer up" part... I almost fell off of my chair laughing

My question is... to be a safe pilot you need to be able to react
with the (right stuff) in a choke situation. How do you determine
that quality in an individual?

No matter how good of a technical pilot a person may be... it is the
correct reaction in a "Panic" situation that can make the difference
between a safe pilot and an unfortunate individual.

and then of course there are the deaf blind and stupid folks that run
on luck.

Steve

Old May 15th 04, 06:53 AM
Eric Greenwell

Steve / Sperry wrote:
The "Cheer up" part... I almost fell off of my chair laughing

My question is... to be a safe pilot you need to be able to react
with the (right stuff) in a choke situation. How do you determine
that quality in an individual?

Or, as that famous saying goes, more or less: use your superior
judgement to avoid those "choke" situations. Lots of people fly with
smaller margins than they realize, and sometimes they run out of
margins. It's not just about reacting properly in an emergency, but also
about avoiding it in the first place.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA