Windsor Tower

Old March 2nd 05, 03:40 AM
Richard W. Graves

Default Windsor Tower

I am based at Grosse Ile MI (KONZ) and I was practicing approaches Monday
morning at Windsor Ont. The controller asked me to remind all Detroit area
pilots that Windsor loves to have us come there and practice. He also
wanted me to tell everyone that there are no Canadian ATC charges for the
service. It sounds like Transport Canada is threatening to close Windsor
tower again. They need the traffic count.
Old March 2nd 05, 01:16 PM
Rich

But don't you have to be on an activated IFR or VFR flight plan to enter
Canadian airspace, even if you don't actually land in Canada? That is
MY understanding of the requirements these days.

Rich
(based at 1D2)

Old March 2nd 05, 01:46 PM
Richard W. Graves

Apparently not for an operation such as this. When I depart Grosse Ile,
I call Detroit Approach, tell them what I want to do, and then do what
they tell me. Usually they'll just say call Windosr tower and squawk
VFR. Sometimes, and on this occasion, they gave me a code, then, almost
immediately, turned me over to Windsor tower. Windsor and Grosse Ile, you
may or may not know, are both very close to the US/Canadian border. I
suppose that, technically, the call to Detroit Approach constitutes a
"pop-up" flight plan and satisfies the authorities. In times gone by many
Detroit area instrument pilots and instrument students would practice
approaches at Windsor. We loved it because they had very little traffic,
they have an ILS, VOR and NDB approach, and they were close by. But, I
think since 9/11 and the advent of the new cross-border regulations, the
number of US pilots practicing at Windsor has fallen off considerably.
This is adversely affecting their traffic count. On Monday the controller
actually asked me to check and make sure that there was a posting in our
airport terminal office to the effect that practising in Windosr was still
doable and free.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:22 PM
Rich

I'll look into it... sounds like fun!
Next question... where did you get the approach plates? Some place to
download them on line?

Rich

Old March 2nd 05, 09:02 PM
Richard W. Graves

I don't know of any place on line to get them for free. Of course, you
can buy them from, among other sources, Sportys. If I'm not mistaken, I
obtained mine by calling Windsor tower on the telephone and they faxed
them to me. Mine are several years old, but nothing has changed. OK for
VFR practice, but certainly not for approaches done under IFR. If you
can't obtain them any other way I'll mail you photo copies of the ones I
have. Just let me know. My email address is .