Letter from TSA?

Old August 12th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Letter from TSA?

Got one this week (or last week, I've been out of town) that says that
new rules for CFI's have been implemented, etc, etc, etc. The odd thing
is, it looks like it was printed on a $50 printer and wasn't even in an
official envelope like I'm used to seeing from the FAA. It really only
had a bunch of links in the letter. Has anyone gotten this?
Old August 13th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

I've not gotten anything or heard of any recent changes. I'm a
authorized foriegn training provider CFI so I would assume I'd get
notified.

-Robert, CFI

Old August 13th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Emily, do you have a scanner? Scan and post the letter as
text and ask your question again. It could somebody has
thought of a "practical joke" and got your address somehow.
Be sure to edit out your personal name and address/phone if
they are on the letter.

oups.com...

Old August 13th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
Emily, do you have a scanner? Scan and post the letter as
text and ask your question again. It could somebody has
thought of a "practical joke" and got your address somehow.
Be sure to edit out your personal name and address/phone if
they are on the letter.

Scanner doesn't work with the new computer, but I type fast.

"Dear Certified Flight Instructor:

According to FAA records, you are listed as a Certificated Flight
Instructor (CFI) as described in 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
Part 61. This letter is to inform you of new requirements which may be
applicable to the flight instruction you provide and to let you know who
you can contact should you have any questions.

On September 20, 2004, 49 CFR 1552 was issued by the Transportation
Security Administration. According to the new regulation, CFI's are
required to take certain action when providing flight instruction to all
flight students seeking specific ratings. In addition, all CFI's are
required to complete Security Awareness Training.

TSA and the Airplane Owners and Pilots Associate (AOPA) have several
resources available that provide guidance on the implementation of this
regulation. The following resources are available to both flight
instructors and flight students.

bunch of links

If you have questions after accessing the above information, you may
contact Senior Aviation Security Inspector John Doe at phone number or
email address.

Sincerely,

Jack Doe
Federal Security Director (Acting)
Dallas Love Field (DAL)

Anyway, the links are all valid and do link to the rules that we all
know and love, but it's just an odd letter. Like it says, this has been
around for almost two years, so why was a letter being issued now, and
why from the local office? I guess I could always contact the TSA and
ask, but they're in the doghouse with me after stealing my medication
yesterday.
Old August 13th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Googled for " "Jack Doe"+Federal Security Director+Dallas "
and got 11 hits, none that seem correct or related. Have
you called the Love Field office listed to see if it exists
or if there is a Jack Doe? [Sounds like John Doe's brother}

. ..

Old August 13th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
Googled for " "Jack Doe"+Federal Security Director+Dallas "
and got 11 hits, none that seem correct or related. Have
you called the Love Field office listed to see if it exists
or if there is a Jack Doe? [Sounds like John Doe's brother}

LOL....I masked the real names.
Old August 13th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

OK, You might Google the real names to see what you get. It
could be a Texas state office that is following up on a list
of Texas CFIs with a delay. .

. ..

Old August 13th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Emily wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:
Googled for " "Jack Doe"+Federal Security Director+Dallas "
and got 11 hits, none that seem correct or related. Have
you called the Love Field office listed to see if it exists
or if there is a Jack Doe? [Sounds like John Doe's brother}

LOL....I masked the real names.

Why mask the real name?

I wouldn't want MY real name over all usenet...
Old August 13th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

I believe it is a valid letter, I got one about a month ago.
I'll have to look for it but I do not think I kept it, TSA rules do not
apply to glider CFIs.

I believe what has changed in the last few months was how to complete the
recurrency (annual update) training. AOPA and other alphabet soup aviation
groups worked with them to change how the recurrency can be maintained for
independent CFIs.

. ..

Old August 13th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
zatatime

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:06:15 -0500, Emily
wrote:

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Emily wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:
Googled for " "Jack Doe"+Federal Security Director+Dallas "
and got 11 hits, none that seem correct or related. Have
you called the Love Field office listed to see if it exists
or if there is a Jack Doe? [Sounds like John Doe's brother}
LOL....I masked the real names.

Why mask the real name?

I wouldn't want MY real name over all usenet...

It's alright Sarah, no one would do anything mischievous with it. g