Flying into Chass B

Old October 29th 04, 07:25 PM
Bill Hale

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
"PaulaJay1" wrote in message
Do I feel DUMB!

Flying west at 4500 ft I was "fat,dumb and happy" when I noticed I was in

4000/10000 ft Class B vail. DIVE to get to 2500. I was not on the radio

and
chose not to call approach.

OK, I did that as a student pilot. What they do is men in dark suits come to
your door on a dark, foggy night, beat the snot out of you, and disappear.
Seriously, nothing happened. You will suffer some temporary embarrassment.

As another poster pointed out, the nasa form is a "get out of jail free" card.
You would still have a violation if they pursued it. That would interest your
ins co.

I was involved in a similar situation. Investigation showed that the appr
control involved was not looking at the mode S data. Whew.

Bill Hale
Old November 2nd 04, 03:10 AM
Ray Andraka

GTX330 is a mode S transponder. It replies to certain interogations with the
24 bit code assigned to your aircraft, and to another interogation with a user
id that is programmed by the installing shop. For GA aircraft, that is usually
programmed with the N number. It can also be programmed (perhaps not on the
garmin) with a flight number as you'd have in the case of a scheduled airline.
Mode C transponders only offer two replies: the squawk code or the altitude.
Mode S have a bunch of possible replies.

Allen wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
Allen ) wrote:

All I know is it was displaying "N" numbers, and they were accurate.

The
airplane has been delivered so I can't see if he had additional

equipment
installed that allowed that.

I was not questioning your observation. I was simply stating that I do
not see it in my installation, that's all.

Was the display cluttered with all that info? Were you able to quickly
garner the pertinent traffic information, such as direction and relative
altitude, with the N number mixed in?

I do not see the value in having the N number displayed, but perhaps
there is some reason for it I am missing.

--
Peter

I had the screen de-cluttered (nav info off). I do recall now that this
airplane had an active datalink, it was showing thunderstorm watch boxes in
my area. Perhaps the info was coming from ATC or a flight tracking vendor.
The screen would update fast enough you could see the other airplane's
position in the pattern and then the collision avoidance alert would go off
as he got near.

Allen

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old November 4th 04, 05:55 PM
Paul Sengupta

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

So what's the point in sending it to ATC?

There was considerable suspicion in the aviation community back in the

early 90s that
the FAA planned to require ATC to display the info and report violators

once all
aircraft were required to have mode-S transponders. That requirement kept

getting
postponed and seems to have finally died (for now, at least). Personally,

I believe
that the suspicions were correct and controllers would be doing more

police work now
if the FAA had its way.

We're getting that in 2008...compulsory Mode S. On top of the
violation thing (which can happen at any time, regardless of whether
the number is displayed on the screen or not...I expect it would be
recorded) there's also the suspicion that it could be used for
charging for airspace use.

Paul