A sad day for aviators...

Old April 14th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default A sad day for aviators...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is indeed a sad day. I wished all of them luck in their new endeavors.

Sad, but inevitable, in an era when we can get up-to-the-minute
computerized weather, in an easy-to-interpret graphic format, both at
home and in-flight.

When I get FSS briefings now, I almost always have ADDs open on my
computer screen, and I am usually able to glean more information from
my screen than from the briefer's voice. I sometimes ask questions
about a specific thing I'm seeing on radar, or in a METAR, that the
briefer obviously hadn't noticed, or couldn't see.

They used to joke that I had better equipment than they did; now
they're gone. This is not a coincidence.

Consolidating the FSS was as inevitable as the loss of paperboys and
ice men. Times and technology have passed them by. Twas ever thus.

I miss telehone operators.

Old April 19th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I miss telehone operators.- Hide quoted text -

You mean that you miss the ones with the sexy voices... right?

Old April 19th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ridge

Even Leesburg won't be in Leesburg.

I found out today they are leaving the airport and moving down the road
about 10 miles - to a non-airport location. We're going to miss them.

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
et...
I just called GRB FSS- many of the briefers will be going to Leesburg or
Dallas, and some will be retiring. Even though GRB has new equipment, most
of their calls will now go to Leesburg.

Now, if we say Timmerman or Waukesha, they will have no idea what we're
talking about.

It is indeed a sad day. I wished all of them luck in their new endeavors.

Old April 19th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Ridge wrote:
Even Leesburg won't be in Leesburg.

I found out today they are leaving the airport and moving down the road
about 10 miles - to a non-airport location. We're going to miss them.

They're shutting down the McMinnville, OR FSS, too. We used to be
able to call and talk to someone that can look out a window to see
what the conditions were and talk to them about small regional
airports. Now we're talking to someone sitting in an office in
Seattle, WA that needs airport codes because they aren't local

Old April 19th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:00:05 -0400, john smith
wrote in :

To the Aviation Community, Effective May 7, 2007 Lockheed Martin Dayton
Automated Flight Service will be closing its doors.

Given FAA's FSS "modernization" contract with LocMart is predicated on
a savings to our government of $1.7-billion over ten years, if I
recall correctly, it is inevitable that FSSs will be closed.

It's all about money, not service. Perhaps they should be renamed
FRSs for Flight Revenue Stations. :-(

This was all reported last year, and AOPA supported consolidating 58
flight service stations into 20 facilities:
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...0515audit.html

An uncomfy Q for the aviators here Ramapriya Piloting 19 December 17th 05 03:56 AM
Naval Aviators jsmith Piloting 1 March 25th 04 02:56 PM
Too many Naval Aviators J Naval Aviation 0 March 3rd 04 06:48 PM
Naval aviators... Kulvinder Singh Matharu Military Aviation 1 August 7th 03 09:34 PM
Naval aviators... Tarver Engineering Naval Aviation 0 August 7th 03 09:34 PM