...and the #1 stupid Dallas city ordinance is:

Old April 19th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

Default ...and the #1 stupid Dallas city ordinance is:

wrote:

Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
incorrect .

You know that you just proved MX correct.

Old April 20th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 19, 3:45 pm, Erik wrote:
wrote:
Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
incorrect .

You know that you just proved MX correct.

Actually, my theory is that every previous
time he's been right, someone has chimed to
cite authoritative references to back him
up. And it'll probably happen on all
future instances.

Not that my theory gets much
opportunity for practical testing...

Old April 20th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On 19 Apr 2007 15:41:44 -0700, wrote:

A number of authoritative sources say that hydroplane
may mean "seaplane", or more precisely,

Go figure. :-/

.... Learn something everyday in this group .

--
Dallas
Old April 20th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:16:59 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

How many reservoirs and lakes are there in Dallas large enough to
accommodate aircraft?

All of them.

--
Dallas
Old April 20th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Just go look it up!

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:45:15 -0700, Erik

Yes, there are other possible meanings of the word,
but using hydroplane to mean floatplane is hardly
incorrect .

You know that you just proved MX correct.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day.
Old April 20th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:05:03 GMT, wrote in
:

a hydrofoil "planes" on big water skis.

Ummm... Think again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofoil
A hydrofoil is a boat with wing-like foils mounted on struts below
the hull. As the craft increases its speed the hydrofoils develop
enough lift for the boat to become foilborne - i.e. to raise the
hull up and out of the water. This results in a great reduction in
drag and a corresponding increase in speed.

A hydrofoil works much like an aircraft wing, but it works in a fluid
medium with a substantially different viscosity.

Yeah, I should know better.

In my defence I remember some boats from decades ago when I used to
be involved with such things that had big water skis that apparently
never worked out too well or they would still be around.

A senior momemt...

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 20th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Dallas wrote:
On 19 Apr 2007 15:41:44 -0700, wrote:

A number of authoritative sources say that hydroplane
may mean "seaplane", or more precisely,

Go figure. :-/

... Learn something everyday in this group .

UNLESS you're MX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 20th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Erik" wrote

You know that you just proved MX correct.

Even blind squirrels find a nut, occasionally.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 20th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Paul Tomblin writes:

I lived in Quebec and for years I'd heard of a "hydroplane dock" near
where I lived. And then one time I was canoeing on the river and realized
that people, even Anglos, were saying "hydroplane" when they meant "float
plane".

Hydroplane is a synonym.