What makes a successful aviator?

Old April 20th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Default What makes a successful aviator?

Some excerpts from an interesting series of posts over on
rec.aviation.military.naval.

"...better shot for a pilot slot by getting his BS in aeronautical
engineering...."

"An engineering degree would have no bearing on selection for flight
training."

"Actually it is true. Degree does not seem to matter. Back in the 80's
when I was working on a masters, I was also a contract simulator
instructor at my old training base (Chase) and did an analysis for my
statistics class of degrees vs completions. What I found was that
there was absolutley no correlation between the type of degree and the
succsess (or failure) of the prospective naval aviator."

"As a career Naval Aviator with experience, albeit dated, in both the
Training Command and OPNAV, I've watched this thread spin out with some
interest. As the Director of Research at the National Defense University
in one of my prior incarnations, I was privy to a study substantiating your
remarks. When launched on a quest to find the "Prime Indicator of Success"
- the Holy Grail of the Nugget Watchers - the study I am most familiar with
came up with the revolutionary but counterintuitive conclusion that it was
not being an Eagle Scout or a BS in AE or the kind of a baby that quit
nursing every time an airplane flew over but whether or not the candidate -
get this - had a paper route."

I personally delivered the morning paper for four years. :-)

Bob Moore
Old April 20th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 19, 5:02 pm, Bob Moore wrote:
[...]

So does that mean you were paper trained?

Old April 20th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Bob Moore wrote:

I personally delivered the morning paper for four years. :-)

But have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?

Matt
Old April 20th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Matt Whiting wrote in news:2SSVh.4022$Oc.201113
@news1.epix.net:

Bob Moore wrote:

I personally delivered the morning paper for four years. :-)

But have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?

Shudder!

Don't mention the war..

Bertie
Old April 20th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Bob Moore" wrote

I personally delivered the morning paper for four years. :-)

Where I grew up, you had to have a car, and be able to drive, to have a
paper route. g
--
Jim in NC

Old April 20th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
46.128...
[...]

Interesting.
My read on this based on the people I know who are both in, and have gone
through the program is that a lot of it depends on where you want to be
along your career path down the line a bit.
Engineering and Science degrees may not make a huge difference up front, but
for specialized Naval career paths such as TPS for example, or say outside
the aviation venue into the Nuclear Sub program , these degrees are almost
essential.
Dudley Henriques

Old April 20th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Morgans wrote:

Where I grew up, you had to have a car, and be able to drive, to have a
paper route. g

how did you manage? I did that for a while, but using a mopped and it
turned out that my costs (keeping the thing running with gas and
insurance and spare parts, etc.) was higher than what I was making;
a bicycle would have been tricky (these dang papers are heavy);

--Sylvain
Old April 20th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Bob Moore wrote:
When launched on a quest to find the "Prime Indicator of Success"
- the Holy Grail of the Nugget Watchers - the study I am most familiar with
came up with the revolutionary but counterintuitive conclusion that it was
not being an Eagle Scout or a BS in AE or the kind of a baby that quit
nursing every time an airplane flew over but whether or not the candidate -
get this - had a paper route."

I personally delivered the morning paper for four years. :-)

Amazing. Wen I think back to the paper boy who delivered our paper when I was
in high school, and how many times he crashed and burned trying to heave a paper
while riding his bike on our very steep hill all I can say is... "Naval
Aviation".

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old April 20th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Sylvain" wrote

how did you manage? I did that for a while, but using a mopped and it
turned out that my costs (keeping the thing running with gas and
insurance and spare parts, etc.) was higher than what I was making;
a bicycle would have been tricky (these dang papers are heavy);

I should have been more clear. I didn't manage. I would have had to ride
or pedal 50 miles or more (very rural) at around 4 AM, and without a car and
being old enough to drive, it would have been impossible. I let adults do
the paper thing. g
--
Jim in NC

Old April 20th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Nomen Nescio writes:

I can tell you that when I was about 4 months from graduation (BS Mechanical
Engineering), the Navy and Air Force were going BTTW to recruit me. I was
wined and dined, lodged, toured, and even fixed up with a couple of
attractive female officers. They were all going to train me to drive ANYTHING
that I wanted, from F-16's to submarines (the coolest tour I got was a fast attack
sub).

All this time, I thought it was the Engineering degree. I guess they'd found out
that I had spent 3 years slinging newsprint at 6 am.

It was probably neither of those things, since both are very common.

Successful save! .Blueskies. Piloting 5 October 9th 06 11:51 AM
Spaceship One Makes Successful Flight One of Two Bob Chilcoat Piloting 17 October 1st 04 04:42 PM
X-43A successful flight Chad Irby Military Aviation 135 April 10th 04 09:30 PM
X-43A successful flight Tarver Engineering Naval Aviation 49 April 9th 04 02:20 PM
Have there been any successful tip-jet helicopters? Jeremy Thomson Rotorcraft 19 August 1st 03 08:03 PM