Super Dimona accident

Old September 8th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default Super Dimona accident

The NTSB just reported a Super Dimona crashed in the pattern at
Winsted, MN on 5Sept. 1 dead, 1 injured. Anybody got any more info on
this?
Does that make 8 this year?
Sad,
JJ
Old September 8th 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Sep 8, 7:44*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
The NTSB just reported a Super Dimona crashed in the pattern at
Winsted, MN on 5Sept. 1 dead, 1 injured. Anybody got any more info on
this?
Does that make 8 this year?
Sad,
JJ

JJ,
Sadly, this appears to be the 9th glider or motorglider related
fatality of the year in the US.....
Renny
Old September 8th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

On 9/8/2011 8:54 AM, Renny wrote:
On Sep 8, 7:44 am, JJ wrote:
The NTSB just reported a Super Dimona crashed in the pattern at
Winsted, MN on 5Sept. 1 dead, 1 injured. Anybody got any more info on
this?
Does that make 8 this year?
Sad,
JJ

JJ,
Sadly, this appears to be the 9th glider or motorglider related
fatality of the year in the US.....
Renny

Don't we have close to 10 fatalities in a typical year, so this year is
about average?

Assuming that there are 5000 active pilots in the US, that gives a
typical pilot a 1/500 chance of getting killed each year, or about 20
times higher than the chance of getting killed in an auto crash.
Old September 8th 11, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s2270474.shtml
Old September 8th 11, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glen

On Sep 8, 12:23*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 9/8/2011 8:54 AM, Renny wrote:

On Sep 8, 7:44 am, JJ *wrote:
The NTSB just reported a Super Dimona crashed in the pattern at
Winsted, MN on 5Sept. 1 dead, 1 injured. Anybody got any more info on
this?
Does that make 8 this year?
Sad,
JJ

JJ,
Sadly, *this appears to be the 9th glider or motorglider related
fatality of the year in the US.....
Renny

Don't we have close to 10 fatalities in a typical year, so this year is
about average?

Assuming that there are 5000 active pilots in the US, that gives a
typical pilot a 1/500 chance of getting killed each year, or about 20
times higher than the chance of getting killed in an auto crash.

On the NTSB Aviation Accident site since Jan.1st of this year I
counted 31 Cessna 182 and 35 Piper PA-28 accidents. That’s just two
plane types.
So it’s not just glider pilots that need refresher training, it’s all
pilots
Glenn
Old September 8th 11, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Sep 8, 10:23*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 9/8/2011 8:54 AM, Renny wrote:

On Sep 8, 7:44 am, JJ *wrote:
The NTSB just reported a Super Dimona crashed in the pattern at
Winsted, MN on 5Sept. 1 dead, 1 injured. Anybody got any more info on
this?
Does that make 8 this year?
Sad,
JJ

JJ,
Sadly, *this appears to be the 9th glider or motorglider related
fatality of the year in the US.....
Renny

Don't we have close to 10 fatalities in a typical year, so this year is
about average?

Assuming that there are 5000 active pilots in the US, that gives a
typical pilot a 1/500 chance of getting killed each year, or about 20
times higher than the chance of getting killed in an auto crash.

From the latest SSF Safety report...

"In addition, the average number of fatalities has remained
nearly constant, at just over 6 per year since the mid 1990’s."

Thx - Renny
Old September 8th 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

Don't we have close to 10 fatalities in a typical year, so this year is
about average?

Assuming that there are 5000 active pilots in the US, that gives a
typical pilot a 1/500 chance of getting killed each year, or about 20
times higher than the chance of getting killed in an auto crash.

That assumes all pilots are of the same skill level and safety
adherence. So if the fatalities are happening to above-average pilots,
the chances are probably worse.
Old September 8th 11, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Sep 8, 9:23*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 9/8/2011 8:54 AM, Renny wrote:

On Sep 8, 7:44 am, JJ *wrote:
The NTSB just reported a Super Dimona crashed in the pattern at
Winsted, MN on 5Sept. 1 dead, 1 injured. Anybody got any more info on
this?
Does that make 8 this year?
Sad,
JJ

JJ,
Sadly, *this appears to be the 9th glider or motorglider related
fatality of the year in the US.....
Renny

Don't we have close to 10 fatalities in a typical year, so this year is
about average?

Assuming that there are 5000 active pilots in the US, that gives a
typical pilot a 1/500 chance of getting killed each year, or about 20
times higher than the chance of getting killed in an auto crash.

Average is around 6-7 per year. At this rate we will break 10 before
the year ends!
1/500 chance per year, makes it 1/20 chance in 25 years! This sounds
about right when you look at how many old time pilots are still
around... This is really sad.

Ramy
Old September 8th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Britton[_2_]

On 9/8/2011 8:54 AM, Renny wrote:

On Sep 8, 7:44 am, JJ *wrote:
The NTSB just reported a Super Dimona crashed in the pattern at
Winsted, MN on 5Sept. 1 dead, 1 injured. Anybody got any more info on
this?
Does that make 8 this year?
Sad,
JJ

JJ,
Sadly, *this appears to be the 9th glider or motorglider related
fatality of the year in the US.....
Renny

-

If you include the 2 Canadians I coundt12 now.
You all seem to have missed the dead tow-pilot.

Jim
Old September 8th 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Evans[_2_]

On 9/8/2011 8:54 AM, Renny wrote:

On Sep 8, 7:44 am, JJ *wrote:
[...]

Ramy- Hide quoted text -

Does this mean we can't use the "safer than driving to the airport"
anymore?

For sale: HK36R Katana Xtreme (aka Super Dimona) BDW Aviation Marketplace 0 April 2nd 06 05:32 PM
Motor Falke & Dimona Soaring 3 December 26th 04 01:37 PM
Looking for a Super-Dimona Mike Aviation Marketplace 0 November 16th 04 08:22 PM
Super Dimona (HK 36) Diamond Xtreme towplane Ruth Perreault Soaring 4 June 3rd 04 07:49 PM
Super Dimona Motorglider in Soaring magazine feb 2004 Mark James Boyd Soaring 11 February 16th 04 03:34 PM