Strategic Bombing Quiz, Pt. 2

Old June 10th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Strategic Bombing Quiz, Pt. 2

1. What country was the first to employ 4-engine bombers in WWII?

2. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII?

3. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII using 4-engine
bombers?

4. (Over-water component) What route did they take?

Old June 10th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:

1. What country was the first to employ 4-engine bombers in WWII?

France, IIRC One of those Big Ugly Farmans.

2. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII?

France, again.

3. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII using 4-engine
bombers?

Uhm, France?

4. (Over-water component) What route did they take?

I expect they flew. Train service was unreliable.
Didn't they fly out over the North Sea, pass into the Baltic, and come down
from the North?

(Heard about the move. That Sucks Rocks. Hope all is well with you & yours,
otherwise. )

I've been impossibly busy - please excuse that, and expect a writeup on the
SDASM after I live through this weekend.

--
Pete Stickney
Without data, all you have is an opinion
Old June 10th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Peter Stickney wrote:
Gordon wrote:

1. What country was the first to employ 4-engine bombers in WWII?

France, IIRC One of those Big Ugly Farmans.

2. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII?

France, again.

3. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII using 4-engine
bombers?

Uhm, France?

4. (Over-water component) What route did they take?

I expect they flew. Train service was unreliable.
Didn't they fly out over the North Sea, pass into the Baltic, and come down
from the North?

(Heard about the move. That Sucks Rocks. Hope all is well with you & yours,
otherwise. )

I've been impossibly busy - please excuse that, and expect a writeup on the
SDASM after I live through this weekend.

Right on all counts, especially about the move. ' Survive first,
write later.

The intrepid Farman 222/3 "Jules Verne" was captured by the Jerries and
had German markings applied before it was returned to the Vichy, who
let it rot.

Glad to hear from you again - I thought you had gone off on a Pacific
Beach bender and never returned!

yf Gordon

Old June 11th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:

1. What country was the first to employ 4-engine bombers in WWII?

2. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII?

3. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII using 4-engine
bombers?

4. (Over-water component) What route did they take?

Why do you ask all this in a group dedicated for _naval_ aviation?

Joachim
Old June 11th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Joachim Schmid wrote:
Gordon wrote:

1. What country was the first to employ 4-engine bombers in WWII?

2. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII?

3. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII using 4-engine
bombers?

4. (Over-water component) What route did they take?

Why do you ask all this in a group dedicated for _naval_ aviation?

Joachim

I posted the questions in response to the other thread about strategic
bombing. It was an effort (as was the other post, I believe) to divert
attention from our current round of insult posts and political
posterings that are overwhelming the signal:noise ratio. Excuse me for
trying.

Gordon

Old June 11th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:
Joachim Schmid wrote:
Gordon wrote:

1. What country was the first to employ 4-engine bombers in WWII?

2. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII?

3. What was the first country to bomb Berlin in WWII using 4-engine
bombers?

4. (Over-water component) What route did they take?

Why do you ask all this in a group dedicated for _naval_ aviation?

Joachim

I posted the questions in response to the other thread about strategic
bombing. It was an effort (as was the other post, I believe) to divert
attention from our current round of insult posts and political
posterings that are overwhelming the signal:noise ratio. Excuse me for
trying.

And here some of us were enjoying philosophical arguments of right
wing/left wing, evil/stupid

An early (maybe not the first) and good example (good example of applied
doctrine, good example of unsuccessful operation too) of strategic
bombing was the October 1916 raid on the Mauser factory. The bombers
were Sopwith "1 1/2 Strutters" from the Royal Naval Air Service. That's
on topic

Old June 13th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:

(Heard about the move. That Sucks Rocks. Hope all is well with you &
yours, otherwise. )

I've been impossibly busy - please excuse that, and expect a writeup on
the SDASM after I live through this weekend.

Right on all counts, especially about the move. ' Survive first,
write later.

That which does not destroy us makes us stronger. Or weaker. Or leaves us
pretty much the same. As long as you're within shouting distance to Jimmy
Carter's I think it'll work out.

The intrepid Farman 222/3 "Jules Verne" was captured by the Jerries and
had German markings applied before it was returned to the Vichy, who
let it rot.

Glad to hear from you again - I thought you had gone off on a Pacific
Beach bender and never returned!

Not quite - we went after the Supply Depots at Daiquiri. We went in from
the North, under their Radar.

But it was over Macho Grande...