how illegal am I?

Old November 6th 04, 10:19 AM
Cub Driver

Default how illegal am I?

Okay, the Cub I rent has no radio, hence no radio license. I am
vaguely aware, each time I use the handheld, that I am operating
without a station license.

Is this a problem? Should I apply to the FCC for a license, and if so,
what sort of license do I want?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old November 6th 04, 02:01 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 05:19:25 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote in
::

Okay, the Cub I rent has no radio, hence no radio license. I am
vaguely aware, each time I use the handheld, that I am operating
without a station license.

Is this a problem? Should I apply to the FCC for a license, and if so,
what sort of license do I want?

I wish I knew the answer. You may find it he
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr87_03.html
Old November 6th 04, 02:10 PM
Stealth Pilot

wrote:

Okay, the Cub I rent has no radio, hence no radio license. I am
vaguely aware, each time I use the handheld, that I am operating
without a station license.

Is this a problem? Should I apply to the FCC for a license, and if so,
what sort of license do I want?

all the best -- Dan Ford

follow appropriate radio procedure and stop being a weenie. :-)

ask yourself what the licence achieves.
hint, it gets people to play together in the same sandpit without
being a nuisance to each other.
the requirement is to play together by using appropriate radio
procedure.
if it is an issue for the FCC let them tell you about it.

.....btw I'm claiming pacific ocean immunity on this :-)
Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old November 6th 04, 02:12 PM
Dave Stadt

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Okay, the Cub I rent has no radio, hence no radio license. I am
vaguely aware, each time I use the handheld, that I am operating
without a station license.

Is this a problem? Should I apply to the FCC for a license, and if so,
what sort of license do I want?

You are just fine. In your situation a station or operators license is not
required. The requirement went away about a decade ago.

Old November 6th 04, 02:42 PM
Chuck

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 05:19:25 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote in
::

Okay, the Cub I rent has no radio, hence no radio license. I am
vaguely aware, each time I use the handheld, that I am operating
without a station license.

Is this a problem? Should I apply to the FCC for a license, and if so,
what sort of license do I want?

I wish I knew the answer. You may find it he
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr87_03.html

Note to self:

Saturday, November 06, 2004 in the AM, Larry Dighera admitted that there
*is* something that he didn't know. I believe this is a first.

---

Old November 6th 04, 03:24 PM
john smith

Correct. You only need one if you are going outside the USA.
I have yet to have the folks in Canada ask for the Radio License.

Old November 6th 04, 04:14 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:42:10 GMT, "Chuck" wrote
in : :

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 05:19:25 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote in
::

Okay, the Cub I rent has no radio, hence no radio license. I am
vaguely aware, each time I use the handheld, that I am operating
without a station license.

Is this a problem? Should I apply to the FCC for a license, and if so,
what sort of license do I want?

I wish I knew the answer. You may find it he
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr87_03.html

Note to self:

Saturday, November 06, 2004 in the AM, Larry Dighera admitted that there
*is* something that he didn't know. I believe this is a first.

Dear Chuck,

Thank you so much for your sophic, informative, illuminating and
knowledgeable contributions to this noble newsgroup. It is thoughtful
and informed pilots such as yourself that make this forum the valuable
resource that it has become. We airmen are highly indebted to those
experienced pilots who take the time to share their relevant
experience and information with their peers, for it is only through
such selfless sharing of information that this resource can continue
to grow into an even more valuable source of expert knowledge.

It is the intelligent and insightful sharing of information that
establishes this newsgroup as a quintessential paragon of what human
cooperation can achieve. It gladdens my heart to see your invaluable,
informative, erudite, sagacious contributions, instead of the inane
prattle and contemptible bickering that drives the knowledgeable among
us away from participating in this newsgroup. So thank you again from
the bottom of my heart for your effort in sharing your wisdom with the
readership of rec.aviation.piloting, and propelling this august forum
into the sunlit uplands of enlightenment and joy.

Best regards,
Larry Dighera

PS:
Thank you also very much for providing this gratuitous advertisement
with each informative article you post:

---

Old November 6th 04, 04:29 PM
Schmoe

Larry Dighera wrote:
whack

[...]

Well, at least you're not verbose.

Old November 6th 04, 06:51 PM
Jim Fisher

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Okay, the Cub I rent has no radio, hence no radio license. I am
vaguely aware, each time I use the handheld, that I am operating
without a station license.

Is this a problem? Should I apply to the FCC for a license, and if so,
what sort of license do I want?

There's only one "R" in AROW nowadays, you know. The missing one if for the
redidio license.

--
Jim Fisher

Old November 6th 04, 07:14 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Larry, if you tell us your address, we'll all pitch in and send you a
few bucks so you can go buy yourself a sense of humor.