Tail slat question

Old February 13th 04, 05:47 AM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

Les Matheson wrote:

The slotted stabs were only on the slatted (post -556) birds. Most Es, all
Fs,Gs and subsequent models. Hard wing F-4s didn't have slotted stabs.
--

It sure wasn't part of the -556 mod (cockpit switches,
major rework of the armament relay panels, new wire

I don't recall seeing *many* slotted stabs on F-4Es during
the period 1968-72, though there were a few. Originally,
the LE of the stab was without the fixed, mini-slats up front.
IIRC, the slotted stab mod had its own TCTO - but I have no
idea of the number. Finding it would provide a list of the
applicable tail numbers which hadn't already had it accomplished
on the TCTO issue date.

If I had to guess, it was around the time of the flash-
suppressor extension to the gun fairing, or shortly
thereafter... making it about mid-1971 or later.
Old February 13th 04, 05:53 AM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

Les Matheson wrote:

Okay, maybe you are right, but we always referred to the slatted Es as 556
birds. I thought the ex Thunderbirds E I flew had a solid slab.

For sure. The old ex-T-bird F-4s were monstrosities of
missing and mis-matched equipment, exempt from many TCTO
upgrades.

And us maintenance pukes called slatted Es as "-556 birds",
too; it was a clearly visible "dividing line" between two
much-different sets of equipment and weapons system operation.
Old February 13th 04, 11:25 AM
Nele VII

What the heck the inverted slat is doing on F-4J then, Ed? It has no gun!

--

Nele

NULLA ROSA SINE SPINA
Gord Beaman wrote in message ...
"Jim Doyle" wrote:

Hello all,

Just a quick question - do any aircraft have slats installed on the

leading
edge of the horizontal tailplane?

Rather like slats would be used on the main wing section but - instead of
providing helpful lift - they're just to counter a very large pitching
moment on approach when wing-mounted high lift devices are deployed.

Thank you in advance!

Jim D

No Jim, never. By your post you seem (like a lot of people) to
believe that the horizontal stabilizers on the tailplane help to
carry the aircraft's weight.

This is not true.

The tailplane is designed merely to control the wing which does
the whole of the lifting job. The tail actually 'pushes down' in
level flight. This produces 'fore and aft' stability just as wing
dihedral produces horizontal stability.
--

-Gord.

Old February 13th 04, 12:47 PM
John Carrier

.. The slotted stabs were only on the slatted (post -556) birds. Most Es,
all
Fs,Gs and subsequent models. Hard wing F-4s didn't have slotted stabs.

All J's and N's did.

R / John

Old February 13th 04, 03:06 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:33:08 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

Weasel, super sonic 100 feet off the ground.

I mean an F-15 in ground effect that fast would be a bad thing.

So, you now think an F-15 is a Weasel? Why would "ground effect" have
anything to do with top speed? Interference with the clean separation
of the shockwave would be detrimental.

Stick with what you know, John.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old February 13th 04, 03:09 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:25:04 +0100, "Nele VII"
wrote:

What the heck the inverted slat is doing on F-4J then, Ed? It has no gun!

BTSOM! Ask a sailor.

Might be to counter a heavier radar, or maybe a balance to the drooped
ailerons or for better control immediately after cat shot. Dunno.

Old February 13th 04, 04:07 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:

Weasel, super sonic 100 feet off the ground.

I mean an F-15 in ground effect that fast would be a bad thing.

So, you now think an F-15 is a Weasel?

Not me.

I never lied about being a weasel and I have always known the lead is bait.

Before your childish editing, we were discussing speed and low and fast the
F-4 has the advantage.

Old February 13th 04, 07:50 PM
B2431

From: "Tarver Engineering"

I never lied about being a weasel

Aha, tarver finally admits he's a weasel.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 13th 04, 08:55 PM
Tarver Engineering

From: "Tarver Engineering"

I never lied about being a weasel

Aha, tarver finally admits he's a weasel.

The F-15 tried to be a weasel, but the F-16 got the work.

Old February 13th 04, 09:09 PM
WaltBJ

Slots are to raise the lift coefficient (down coefficeint on the
horizontal stab?) at low speeds. Enables raising the nose at lower TO
speeds for more AOA for liftoff at lower speeds. FWIW I never saw an E
without a slotted tail. I first flew LES birds on return to the
cockpit in 76. I was not then and am still not impressed. Can't
remember the exact top speed at 1000 ASl in AB but with 2x275 tanks it
was definitely 50-75 knots slower than our Ds at DaNang - even though
the D was carrying a CL bag, 2 MERs, 2 TERs, 2 x AIM9 and a ECM pod.
Our Ds rang up 745 KIAS at 4000 AGL getting out of Dodge after a
little SAM SEAD, and we were happy to see it. The LES bird could loop
at 300 KIAS from 15,000 in AB - BFD - worthless as a combat maneuver.
You can have all the turn you want - I'll take more speed any day. Ask
the 106 drivers who fought our Dash 19 Zippers about turn vs speed.
Walt BJ