Dangerous Cessna evacuates govt again

Old May 11th 05, 06:57 PM
Mike Granby

Not when its possible for a C150 to
carry a small A bomb in a suitcase.

Wouldn't it be easier just to drive there?

Old May 11th 05, 07:07 PM
Andrew Gideon

Mike Granby wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier just to drive there?

Yes, but shipping it might be an even better choice now that I think on it.

- Andrew

Old May 11th 05, 07:11 PM
Mutts

On Wed, 11 May 2005 10:51:08 -0700, Mutts wrote:

On 11 May 2005 09:40:02 -0700, "Paul kgyy"
wrote:

True to the rugged pioneer spirit of our great country, DC cowered for
cover again as a Cessna violated the no-fly zone. Fighter jets were
scrambled to deal with this imminent threat to the security of our
nation.

N5826G
C-150K

Owned by Vintage Aero Club in PA.

Heard on Fox that aircraft was taken "without permission".

thus is is the story at this point.

Now if I am interpreting the news correctly......

No transponder and "zig-zagging"

Old May 11th 05, 07:24 PM
smf

Come on guys, rules are rules! No-Fly Zone means just that. Mistakes are
made but don't discount the mistake.

How many IFR pilots in the group would tell the controller....thanks for
Clearing me for the approach ILS 18 but I think I'll just land on rwy 36
because the rules don't apply to me.

Steve

Old May 11th 05, 07:51 PM
Jay Masino

The latest report on WTOP (news station in DC) was that the aircraft WAS
squawking the correct code, but that there was some sort of communications
problem. I'm glad to see that everyone was so willing to jump on top of
our brother pilots.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old May 11th 05, 08:03 PM
S.

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
True to the rugged pioneer spirit of our great country, DC cowered for
cover again as a Cessna violated the no-fly zone. Fighter jets were
scrambled to deal with this imminent threat to the security of our
nation.

Hi Folks,

As always, intelligent (sometimes pithy !) observation from members of the
aviation community in the above postings ; I agree with all of it.

Newsreel footage of EVERYONE in D.C. scattering in all directions has just
been shown on Channel 4 news (U.K.) ; it looked like a badly made disaster
movie. A police officer shouted "GET OUT, NOW !" to the floor of the House.
Unseemly and totally lacking in composure or dignity.

If this is what an off-track Cessna can do the the worlds most
technologically powerful and sophisticated nation, I have to ask "Have the
terrorists already won ?".

I hope to go to San Diego, and work my way up to CPL in August, achieving
the last of my life's ambitions at 48.It would be tragic if the authorities
were to restrict the people who could take the controls of an aircraft, by
way of "security measures".

Idiots like this one today may curtail that, if they don't take the ease of
access to flying, just a little bit less for granted.

Old May 11th 05, 08:11 PM
Mutts

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:03:57 +0100, "S."
wrote:

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Does the smoke "win" when the fire alarm goes off?

Lets stay vigilant for our rights and be calm.
I do not expect a huge fallout from this.
AOPA will be there every inch of the way.

The story is still unfolding with all the typical media foul ups on
the details.

You will LOVE San Diego!

MYF?

Old May 11th 05, 08:15 PM
kontiki

iflyatiger wrote:
I wonder how we look to people outside of the usa.

When a single Cessna airplane can cause the government to shut down and
people to scramble in fear. Imagine what the people all over the world some
of whom live in war zones or under daily fear of their evil governments must
think of our chicken behavior...
I also cant help but wonder what the men and woman of our armed services
think of this. They live in danger everyday and then they see how their
leaders react to a small plane simply flying somewhere it shouldn't.

Disgusting !!

Exactly. Its totally ridiculous that the US Government allows millions
of illegals to cross its borders every month while it totally freaks out
when a littel Cessna comes close to Washington DC. What a complete joke.

Soon Washington DC will be like Berlin... barbed wires, tanks and outposts.

Fine... you can have the city, its fillled with a bunch of self promoting
blowhards with no testosterone anyway.

Old May 11th 05, 08:17 PM
Kev

Heard on Fox that aircraft was taken "without permission".

Which is apparently newspeak for the actual "We didn't have this flight
listed on our books" from the club owners. Although apparently
everyone in the club knew these guys were flying to an airshow down
South.

Sure wish there was an easy way to sue newspeople for outright
fabrications.

Old May 11th 05, 08:18 PM
kontiki

This is what happens when you place these extreme restrictions around
a single city while the rest of the entire country is wide open to
whoever the hell wants to come in.

When this government finally faces the realities of securing the borders
then I'll have some sympathy. In the meantime lets crucify some hapless
private pilot for flying to close to Washington in his Piper Cub.