quick question -

Old July 16th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default quick question -

I have never seen the designated "signal square" on any US airfield.. even
US ICAO approved airfields..

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/AIM_Basic_2-14-08.pdf

do a word search on "segmented circle"

"Kai Rode" wrote in message
square... outside the tower?
that must be a euro thing..

It is an ICAO thing, I believe. These:

http://tinyurl.com/6knnaw

are the German regulations on marking aerodromes with VFR traffic, and
they
claim to be in accordance with ICAO annex 14, volume I. The landing-T is
shown on page 3.

and what if there is no tower?

There is a signal field between the operations building and the runway,
even
if there is no tower.

Old July 16th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"BT" wrote in
:

I have never seen the designated "signal square" on any US airfield..
even US ICAO approved airfields..

It's a brit thing.

Bertie
Old July 16th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sandman

On Jul 15, 4:19*pm, Robert Moore wrote:
Sandman *wrote

Another quick question - I heard an ATC in B airspace refer to an
aircraft as being "in the penalty box" - is this a holding area for
aircraft that aren't cleared to depart or who are waiting for an
aircraft to clear their gate?

At Chicago's O'hare (ORD), waiting for a gate.

Bob Moore
PanAm (retired)

For what it's worth, ORD was in fact the airport where I heard this -
thanks - puzzling to me that it would be specific to that airport.

I had a research advisor named Bob Moore, BTW

-B
Old July 16th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

Sandman wrote
For what it's worth, ORD was in fact the airport where I heard this -
thanks - puzzling to me that it would be specific to that airport.

The ground controllers at ORD used to have all sorts of cutesy names
for the ramps and taxiways. The following was copied for a web site.

"O'Hare is a bit busier at nine in the morning than JFK would be, but not
enough to be a problem. It's been quite a while since I last originated a
flight from ORD, and among other changes the taxiways have all been renamed
to the modern standard of alphabetic names. This is a bit of a shame, since
ORD taxiways were, at one time, embellished with names of the most
outlandish whimsy, such as the "Scenic", no doubt short for the scenic
route, which that particular piece of concrete may well have been! "Wolf
Road" was the terminology for a short north-south stretch that could, in
fact, be seen as a virtual extension of the real Wolf Rd, a major
thoroughfare just north of the airport. Some names, such as the "Cargo"
were self explanatory (that was the one that ran right by the old cargo
facility, the facility that was torn down to make way for the new
international terminal), while others, such as the "Wedge" are more
nebulous. I suppose that particular taxiway just looked like a wedge from
the air. Who among us really knows now, since all of the original players
are long retired?"

Ah..Yes....aren't we?

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)
Old July 16th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:05:34 -0700 (PDT), george
wrote:

On Jul 15, 2:34 pm, Clark wrote:

You really mean sans-radio now don't you, sport.

Not being American no I don't mean that

Do they still teach that ?

Still need to learn it now do you? Go pay the instructor and get the help
you need...

My question was and still is
Do they still teach pilots how to fly nonaudio circuits ?
I use
d to fly DH82s and PA18s in the 60s, aircraft not known for their
copious radio equipment.

in australia the student at a GAAP airport will be given a circuit or
two with simulated radio out and the student being given the tower's
aldis lamp signalling.

the procedure in australia is to dial up 7600 on the transponder, if
fitted, which indicates radio failure, then to proceed as per normal
practise still trying to make radio calls. you just slot in and make
the circuit as best you can. they'll get the picture eventually, and
watch for aldis light signals from the tower.

so yes it is still taught, but there isnt much to teach.

GAAP = general aviation airport procedures.
these procedures are used at australian secondary airports.

Stealth Pilot

Old July 16th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On 16 Jul 2008 02:47:40 GMT, Clark wrote:

george wrote in news:44fab440-a69d-4f9d-88f6-c83bbd8135b3
:

On Jul 15, 2:34 pm, Clark wrote:

You really mean sans-radio now don't you, sport.

Not being American no I don't mean that

Then what do you mean?

Do they still teach that ?

Still need to learn it now do you? Go pay the instructor and get the help
you need...

My question was and still is
Do they still teach pilots how to fly nonaudio circuits ?

cough, cough

I use
d to fly DH82s and PA18s in the 60s,

sure you did

tiger moths and cherokees ???
why do you doubt him???

Stealth Pilot
Old July 16th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Stealth Pilot wrote in
news

On Jul 15, 2:34 pm, Clark wrote:

You really mean sans-radio now don't you, sport.

Not being American no I don't mean that

Then what do you mean?

Do they still teach that ?

Still need to learn it now do you? Go pay the instructor and get
the help you need...

My question was and still is
Do they still teach pilots how to fly nonaudio circuits ?

cough, cough

I use
d to fly DH82s and PA18s in the 60s,

sure you did

tiger moths and cherokees ???
why do you doubt him???

The 18 is a Super cub. I didn't believe him either. Super cubs are as
rare as fishlips juice and can only be flown by the seventh son of a
seventh son.

Bertie

Old July 16th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 15, 2:34 pm, Clark wrote:

You really mean sans-radio now don't you, sport.

Not being American no I don't mean that

Then what do you mean?

Do they still teach that ?

Still need to learn it now do you? Go pay the instructor and get the help
you need...

My question was and still is
Do they still teach pilots how to fly nonaudio circuits ?

cough, cough

I use
d to fly DH82s and PA18s in the 60s,

sure you did

tiger moths and cherokees ???
why do you doubt him???

Piper Cubs mate :-)
the 60 horse power variety

Old July 17th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 17, 8:51 am, george wrote:

Piper Cubs mate :-)
the 60 horse power variety

Whoops. My bad.
It was a J2.
PA18s have electrics AFAIK they have electric start.
Sheer luxury