Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH

Old July 26th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH

Okay, last call guys. Be there or be...thirsty!

1. 6th Annual Iowa City Fly-In Pool Party
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_pool_party.htm

Hard to believe it's been six years since you guys and gals helped us decide
to build the only aviation themed hotel in the Midwest -- and it's "pay-back
time"! For the sixth year in a row we'll be throwing the only fly-in pool
party in the world, in thanks to all pilots who have helped us make our
aviation dream a success.

Always held on the Saturday before OSH -- TOMORROW! -- we'll have food,
refreshments, music, swimming, and hangar flying -- all FREE. We'll have
the Penguin flight simulator set up so that you can practice the FISK
approach into OSH (it's especially challenging after a few beers), and a
good time is guaranteed for all.

We're close enough to walk from the airport -- but why bother? We'll come
fetch you in our courtesy van, and zip you right to the front door of the
inn. Spend a few hours, or spend the night. If we run out of room (which
we do most years), you're welcome to pitch your tent on the property - free!

Then, on Sunday morning (not TOO early) we'll load up and fly into OSH
together. Last year we had eight aircraft fly up (in loose, in-trail
formation -- no Blue Angels stuff here!) together, which resulted in
everyone being parked close together -- so the party could continue all week
long!

Here are some pix from last year's party:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2007_fly-in_pool_party.htm

2. H.O.P.S. Party
Also for the sixth year, our campsite in the North 40 a OSH will serve as
the base for the annual "HOPS" (Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, Student)
rec.aviation party. Put together with the invaluable assistance of this
group's Jim & Tami Burns, Montblack, and Jack Allison, this annual shin-dig
is a great chance to put a face with the names you see in these newsgroups
every day.

Admission is, as always, a 6-pack (or more) of GOOD beer, preferably from
your home-base. Regional micro-brews are almost always met with
enthusiastic approval. Extra points are awarded if you can't see through
it! (Left coast exception: If you're from Kalifornia, regional wines are a
suitable substitute. Just be prepared to take some serious razzing...)

This party is held on Wednesday during Airventure, right after the airshow.
Because aircraft parking is "first-come, first-served" the location varies
each year, but finding us is simple. Just go to the EAA North 40 check-in
station (at the entrance to the North 40) and give them our "N" number or
last name. They will give you our precise campsite number, and vector you
in. (Note: Do this early in the day, or you may be surprised to find them
closed. Randomly finding someone -- even a big party -- in the North 40 is
"needle-in-a-haystack" stuff...)

Here are some pix from last year's party:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2007_hops_party.htm

And from 2006:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/wed_-_north_40_party.htm

And from 2005:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/wednesday1.htm

And, the most famous picture of all, from the very first HOPS Party:
http://tinyurl.com/6599f4

Well, you get the idea. Hope to see you at one or both!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 26th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning
bdl

On Jul 25, 10:12*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Okay, last call guys. *Be there or be...thirsty!

Unfortunately, I won't make either of them this year, I don't think.
I recognize myself in some of those pictures from last year. I
remember last year, because that was the night my airplane partner
"won" a flight in the left seat of the Herpa DC-3 as part of a 12-ship
formation flight the next day. (And as a side note I got to fly in
the back seat of the CN-6 in that same formation).

I'm flying into OSH either Sunday or Monday, but plans are to leave
Wednesday afternoon/evening. Unless of course weather should cause me
to have to stay an extra day...An extra day at OSH? Darn the luck!

Have fun!

Brian
N9093K
Old August 3rd 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning
bdl

On Jul 26, 10:06*am, bdl wrote:
On Jul 25, 10:12*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Okay, last call guys. *Be there or be...thirsty!

Unfortunately, I won't make either of them this year, I don't think.
I recognize myself in some of those pictures from last year. *I
remember last year, because that was the night my airplane partner
"won" a flight in the left seat of the Herpa DC-3 as part of a 12-ship
formation flight the next day. *(And as a side note I got to fly in
the back seat of the CN-6 in that same formation).

I'm flying into OSH either Sunday or Monday, but plans are to leave
Wednesday afternoon/evening. *Unless of course weather should cause me
to have to stay an extra day...An extra day at OSH? Darn the luck!

Have fun!

Brian
N9093K

Well, I should have stayed the extra day.... Had to divert to KSPI
for the night due to the heavy rain in the STL area. Got to meet a
nice airline pilot returning his Maule from OSH though as we started
at the same radar display for several hours. Plus a helicopter pilot
on a cross-country from OH to TX, that pulled the plug a couple hours
before I did.

Woke up to 1/2 mile vis with fog, but it burned off enough to get into
STL Thursday morning after shooting an approach 300 feet above
minimums...

If anybody gets stuck at KSPI, stay with the folks at 1st Class Air.
Everyone was friendly, let me use the crew car not once but twice and
pointed me to a decent hotel.

Brian
N9093K