Composite question OT

Old November 24th 04, 05:59 PM
Steve B

Default Composite question OT

I noticed a recent discussion about materials used for the
construction of Sailplanes. I am looking for a material to help
support a weak area on the cowl of an airplane that I fly. It is a
power plane (has one of those fuel to noise converters) so please
forgive.

The cowl is wide and the center is starting to droop and crack. I am
tring to find a material (honeycomb?) that is about 1/4 to 3/8th inch
thick that I could glass in or use epoxy resin to stiffen the cowl. I
am looking for something a bit more structural than layers of
fibreglass. I would like for it to be light and thin enough that it
does not distrub the airflow inside the cowl. I am looking for
something in the range of 4 inches wide by 3 ft long to glass inside
the cowl to help support it. It will need to be flexible enough to go
around a few minor curves.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions from folks that work with
composite materials.

Take Care
Steve
Old November 24th 04, 09:06 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Steve B
writes
[...]

There is a material called FibreLam which was used to build the Edgerly
sailplane. It's used in commercial aircraft construction for floors and
panels.

Try www.hexcelcomposites.com
--
Mike Lindsay
Old November 25th 04, 02:14 PM
fcuk'n

"Mike Lindsay" wrote in message
In article , Steve B
writes
The cowl is wide and the center is starting to droop and crack. I am
tring to find a material (honeycomb?) that is about 1/4 to 3/8th inch
thick that I could glass in or use epoxy resin to stiffen the cowl.

Mike,

surely anything you do to an original designed component would require approval?
Can you just decide to 'change' the design of something without testing and
certifying such a modification .. just wondering is all?

fk'n

Old November 25th 04, 07:03 PM
goneill

The simpliest way would be to take the cowling off
then sand the inside for a key for resin and cloth then
make a tempory jig or support to hold the fairing in
the required shape."Weigh the part before you sand, again
when you have sanded and the final weight when you
sanded and trimmed the fairing to final shape.
This is for your weight and balance,verify with your
engineer re the weight change
NOTE CARBON PARTICLES ARE NOT HEALTHY
FOR YOU, WEAR A MASK IF YOU DRY SAND
OR BETTER YET WET SAND.
Obtain 2 layers of 125 grade "Bi" directional Carbon
cloth and lay them into the fairing with the second layer
at 45degree weave orientation
You need to check if a polyester or an epoxy has been
used for the original fairing resin and match type.
This should make the fairing around 1-2 mil thicker, check
clearances when reinstalling.
This should stiffen the fairing considerably .
Gary

Old November 25th 04, 07:42 PM
Leon McAtee

Steve B wrote in message . ..

The cowl is wide and the center is starting to droop and crack. I am
tring to find a material (honeycomb?) that is about 1/4 to 3/8th inch
thick that I could glass in or use epoxy resin to stiffen the cowl.
Take Care
Steve

If you're looking for stiffness look at some high density foam, or
even plain old Balsa as a core material. 1/4" of that and 2 layers of
8 oz "E" glass should provide all the stiffness you need - IMHO
Leon McAtee