US Standard Nationals -- Day 1

Old August 1st 18, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Default US Standard Nationals -- Day 1

With a stiff breeze out of the north, the fleet was launch about 12:50 pm with the gate opening at 13:46. 6+ kt climbs out the top were the norm with most everyone starting quickly feeling that the day would soften around 16:30 to 1700.
The first run was out to the WSW into a scattered field of small cu's and wisps that marked 5kt+ lift that were sometimes broken up. A couple of 8+ were encountered providing a quick climb to 8,000'+. A cool temp glide band 5-8 proved ideal for a very comfortable flight.
One had to fight the temptation to turn SW towards the second turn where the sky conditions looked fantastic, or run out of miles with time remaining.
Once into the better area 6-10+ was the norm, always in the same spot beneath the clouds. The thermals were a little more spicy, narrow. One couldn't let ones horsey loose.
After 2 hours , time to run home into the wind keeping on the high side at 8k. I push a little too hard and fell into a hole that others reported hitting with heavy sink. Had to bump along at 3500' until a 10kt break came along. Interesting, no heavy sink was encountered until the final run.
A steering turn 6 miles west had everyone hitting the finish line (NS) for a right turn onto a downwind landing north.
Check the SSA site for the results. I believe M Westbrook won the day. Now that the blood has been drawn, Best I can do is get out of the way and let the big dogs eat (Lee Travino).
It will be fun.
"Tight Turns!"
Old August 1st 18, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 9:54:28 PM UTC-5, Retting wrote:
[...]

Oh...we had a ice cream social tonight.....
The tow pilots and ground staff were excellent...
4 line boys, more like line jocks, ran there arses off....
No runs, no drips, no errors....a perfect day best I know.
Old August 1st 18, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sounds like a great time out there so far. Thanks for the thorough reports, they really add something!
Old August 1st 18, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:57:58 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
[...]

Also a great entry. 19 in the class. More than 15's(17) and Open(13). Long live the Standard class! Having Std's not grouped in contests that pinch entries down seems to help.
Have fun you guys and gals.
UH/OH
Old August 1st 18, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 7:54:28 PM UTC-7, Retting wrote:
[...]

Thank you!!! Your reporting makes me wish I still had a Standard class glider to fly in your contest. If I read the contestant sheet correct there are also two Ladies flying the contest, when was the last time that happened?!
Old August 1st 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Kathy Fosha and Sarah Arnold both flew the 2014 Sports Class Nationals at TSA...
Old August 1st 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 7:35:44 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
Kathy Fosha and Sarah Arnold both flew the 2014 Sports Class Nationals at TSA...

I only returned to soaring in 2015. It is nice to see the ladies competing in nationals.
Old August 1st 18, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 14:24 01 August 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Thank you!!! Your reporting makes me wish I still had a Standard

class glider to fly in your contest. If I read the contestant sheet
correct there are also two Ladies flying the contest, when was the
last time that happened?!

Actually, the same two ladies flew in the US Club Class Nationals
last year at Hobbs.

RO

Old August 1st 18, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 8:45:05 AM UTC-7, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 14:24 01 August 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Thank you!!! Your reporting makes me wish I still had a Standard

class glider to fly in your contest. If I read the contestant sheet
correct there are also two Ladies flying the contest, when was the
last time that happened?!

Actually, the same two ladies flew in the US Club Class Nationals
last year at Hobbs.

RO

Gosh fellows, thanks for pointing this out. However, I think the message that we have multiple women flying the STD nationals is being supplemented by the message that I had not noticed this, the two other times it happened.
Just wanted to give a shout out to the ladies, forgive me for not doing the background research. Very literal crowd.
Old August 1st 18, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I wonder how long it's been since more than 2 women have flown a glider competition?