Indonesian Bawean Island Incident (2 F-16B vs 5 F/A-18s)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 3rd 03, 05:44 AM
Bram U. Kusuma

Default Indonesian Bawean Island Incident (2 F-16B vs 5 F/A-18s)

Hi All,

I'd like to know more information about last month's (August) alleged
Indonesian Airspace violation by VFA-22 Hornets.

What I know so far is that 5 F/A-18s on a CAP strayed into Commercial
airspace, got too close to a Bouraq 737, the pilot of which reported
the incident to the ground.

Bali control, who have the F/A-18s on radar, sent 2 F-16Bs to
intercept. The 7 aircrafts did a (very?) short acm session until one
of the F-16s got bracketed and rocked its wings.

The F/A-18s then stated their intentions and asked the F-16s to stay
away from the CV.

Indonesian media is reporting that the F/A-18s radar was locking on to
the F-16s, and therefore acting hostile toward the F-16s. This
incident have done no good to improving the public's perception of the
US in Jakarta.

That is all the info I have. Anybody know more?

What is the standard procedure for CV aircrafts on CAP enroute through
territorial waters of another country? Was this really what actually
happen?

Thanks,

Bram