Medal Winners: Air Traffic Control Tapes

Old January 30th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Medal Winners: Air Traffic Control Tapes

Because kids usually have a higher Vo2Max than adults.
They have the ability to carry more O2 (more efficiently)
in their system and suffer degradation last If you need a minimum
pulse/ox number to remain concious and you have a more efficient
cardio/vascular system you stay concious the longest. That
might also explain why the youngest most fit miner was the only
survivor in the last mine cave in......

--
Have a great day

Scott
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
New England Region - Boston:
Pilot (Dad) possible stroke, possible CO poisoning. Daughter lands plane.

That one is spooky First the dad, then the mom become unresponsive?

If it was CO poisoning, how come the daughter wasn't affected?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 30th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On 01/30/06 11:02, Jay Honeck wrote:
New England Region - Boston:
Pilot (Dad) possible stroke, possible CO poisoning. Daughter lands plane.

That one is spooky First the dad, then the mom become unresponsive?

If it was CO poisoning, how come the daughter wasn't affected?

Would this incident have made it into the NTSB database? If they did
an investigation, perhaps we can find out what the actual problem was?

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old January 30th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Newps" wrote

Geez. We'd catch a dozen gear ups every year when I was at GFK.

They catch a half dozen gear up, during the weeks at OSH! You would think
everyone was distracted, or something.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 31st 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Newps" wrote

Geez. We'd catch a dozen gear ups every year when I was at GFK.

They catch a half dozen gear up, during the weeks at OSH! You would think
everyone was distracted, or something.
--
Jim in NC

must be pilots watching all the car accidents caused by drivers watching
allthe pilots with their gear up

Old January 31st 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

I wonder if these events caused by malfunction or pilot's failure to follow checklist.

Certainly pilot failure. A mechnical issue would be caught by the pilot
99% of the time by the pilot when he noticed a gear unsafe light. There
are some very rare cases of gear not being down but indicating down but
that's not common. Its more likely a busy pilot not noticing. I've
heard tower call out gear up to pilots before. Usualy the pilots are
thankful but sometimes they are irritated.

-Robert

Old January 31st 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Geez. We'd catch a dozen gear ups every year when I was at GFK.

It was standard practice at marine and navy towers, back when I was
in, for tower operators to add "check gerar down and locked" when
clearing a pilot to land.

Wouldn't it be helpful for civilian towers to do that?

Is the FAA concerned about liability issues?

vince norris
Old January 31st 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Should be a medal for this:

Not long ago, Jon Bon Jovi's 707 skidded off the end of the runway at CYHM.
On the next flight, the pilots reported a serious problem with their
pitot-static system. They spent some time circling near CYYZ trying to sort
it out. They made a comment to the controller that it hadn't been a good
week. They added "I guess you heard about us"". She replied "Yes.
Slippery when wet." The controller then asked if they wished to declare.
They said they didn't. She replied "Living on a prayer." She told me she
couldn't remember any more JBJ songs after that.

moo

Old January 31st 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message

It was standard practice at marine and navy towers, back when I was
in, for tower operators to add "check gerar down and locked" when
clearing a pilot to land.

Wouldn't it be helpful for civilian towers to do that?

No, it just makes the controller sound like an idiot, telling all those
fixed-gear aircraft to check wheels down.

Old January 31st 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Toks Desalu wrote:
It got me curious.

I wonder if these events caused by malfunction or pilot's failure to follow
checklist.

A lot were caused by the pilot or instructor pulling the breaker so they
didn't have to listen to the gear horn while they practiced stalls or
engine out procedures. We'd let them know on short final and everybody
was happy.

Old January 31st 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

vincent p. norris wrote:

Geez. We'd catch a dozen gear ups every year when I was at GFK.

It was standard practice at marine and navy towers, back when I was
in, for tower operators to add "check gerar down and locked" when
clearing a pilot to land.

Wouldn't it be helpful for civilian towers to do that?

No, because it would be ignored. Like when you give a pilot a wind
check with his landing clearance and then 10 seconds later asks for a
wind check.

Is the FAA concerned about liability issues?

Not when you land gear up. The FAA doesn't buy that one.