Is rudder required for coordinated turns?

Old September 19th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Is rudder required for coordinated turns?

Is it always necessary to use the rudder to execute a coordinated
turn? When I turn (in simulation) it seems that just rolling the
aircraft suffices, as long as the bank angle isn't too steep. (And
no, I don't have automatic rudder control enabled.)

Old September 19th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

It depends on the plane. High performance planes almost always have
rudder interconnect. Planes like Arrows, Mooneys, Bonanzas, etc
automatically move the rudder when you roll the ailerons. In addition,
these planes are designed to not require much rudder anyway. However,
if the J-3 simulation acts that way, the sim developer doesn't know
what he's doing.

-Robert

Old September 20th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Planes like Arrows, Mooneys, Bonanzas, etc
automatically move the rudder when you roll the ailerons.

Dunno about the Mooney or Bo, but the Arrows I've flown do not have interconnect. You have full individual control of each of the three axis. What it =does= have is differential deflection of the alerons, which reduces adverse yaw. The only plane I know of that had interconnect is the Ercoupe.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.
Old September 20th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
Planes like Arrows, Mooneys, Bonanzas, etc
automatically move the rudder when you roll the ailerons.

Dunno about the Mooney or Bo, but the Arrows I've flown do not have
interconnect. You have full individual control of each of the three axis.
What it =does= have is differential deflection of the alerons, which
reduces
adverse yaw. The only plane I know of that had interconnect is the
Ercoupe.

In addition, many airplanes are designed with Frise type ailerons, which
also reduce adverse yaw by creating extra drag on the up-deflected aileron
(to balance the drag on the down-deflected one).

Pete

Old September 20th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Young

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:02:58 GMT, Jose ... wrote:
The only plane I know of that had interconnect is the Ercoupe.

Sundowners and some other Beeches have bungees (or springs -- not sure
which) that interconnect the rudder and ailerons. It helps with
coordination but doesn't enforce it.

Tom Young
Old September 20th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nrp

Tom Young wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:02:58 GMT, Jose ... wrote:
The only plane I know of that had interconnect is the Ercoupe.

Our '51 TriPacer (S/N 13) had rudder-to-airleron interconnects which we
hooked up before annual insp but tied off before anyone wanted to fly
it afterwards. I never understood why there was an interconnect.

Old September 20th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"nrp" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Young wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:02:58 GMT, Jose ... wrote:
The only plane I know of that had interconnect is the Ercoupe.

Our '51 TriPacer (S/N 13) had rudder-to-airleron interconnects which we
hooked up before annual insp but tied off before anyone wanted to fly
it afterwards. I never understood why there was an interconnect.

Marketing.

Some manufacturers wanted people to view flying as being just like driving.
After all, you don't steer a car with your feet, right?

Jay B

Old September 20th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

My Tripacer has the interconnect. I can perform easy turns with aileron
control only and stay coordinated. I can also turn with rudder pedals only,
but the bank kind of lags a little. I am able to cross control for crosswind
landings and slips since the interconnects are connected with springs. Steep
or abrupt turns require some rudder input.

mike

m...

Old September 20th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

Just makes life a little simpler. I once flew from Block Island to Barnes in
Westfield, Ma. without touching the wheel from climbout to final.

mike
"nrp" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Young wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:02:58 GMT, Jose ... wrote:
The only plane I know of that had interconnect is the Ercoupe.

Our '51 TriPacer (S/N 13) had rudder-to-airleron interconnects which we
hooked up before annual insp but tied off before anyone wanted to fly
it afterwards. I never understood why there was an interconnect.

Why is ADF or Radar Required on MFD ILS RWY 32 Approach Plate? S. Ramirez Instrument Flight Rules 17 April 2nd 04 11:13 AM
1-34 Rudder DGRTEK Soaring 23 February 16th 04 04:36 AM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM