Wooden Propellers

Old November 12th 03, 08:01 AM
Dick Petersen

Default Wooden Propellers

Looking for a wooden prop for homebuilt. I understand that wood props
have certain advantages over metal and composites. A wood prop has
virtually no memory and is not subject to fatigue as is metal. Also on
contact, a wood prop will not result in as much damage to engine/crank
etc. I know a few guys with Colin Walker props on RV6's and they love
them. Any comment on other manufacturers or your experience with wood
props?
Old November 12th 03, 10:17 AM
.Barnyard BOb.

Dick Petersen wrote:

Looking for a wooden prop for homebuilt. I understand that wood props
have certain advantages over metal and composites. A wood prop has
virtually no memory and is not subject to fatigue as is metal. Also on
contact, a wood prop will not result in as much damage to engine/crank
etc. I know a few guys with Colin Walker props on RV6's and they love
them. Any comment on other manufacturers or your experience with wood
props?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Given all the good stuff you state...
My wooden prop seemed to be a magnet for rain
and took a beating every time the revs were not
held to something below 2100 RPM. In addition,
wood gave no acceptable idle below 900 RPM.
That lead to unacceptable RV-3 brake wear.
Then there is the efficiency factor. SO, fer me...

I'll take METAL --
Especially, for Hamilton Standard, Sensenich,
Hartzell and McCauley constant speed propellers. 8+]

Barnyard BOb - 50 years of successful flight
Old November 12th 03, 10:24 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

Correction....

I'll take METAL --
Especially, for Hamilton Standard, Hartzell and

Old November 12th 03, 03:12 PM
Jan Carlsson

For what brand of engine and type of aircraft do you want the propeller ?

Why not make it your self? It is very rewarding to have a good looking prop,
and it is best way to get the prop you want/need.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

om...

Old November 12th 03, 05:00 PM
Rich S.

"Dick Petersen" wrote in message
om...
Looking for a wooden prop for homebuilt.

snip
Any comment on other manufacturers or your experience with wood
props?

Hard to beat Ed Sterba for price & quality.
http://www.greatplainsas.com/ed.html

Rich S.