SN 10 Display problem

Old December 12th 03, 06:46 PM
Steve B

Default SN 10 Display problem

The display on the SN10 has horizontal lines across the bottom 20% of
the screen.
I think it is probably the contacts between the display and the unit.
I was curious if it is possible to get access to the contacts for the
display to clean them?

Thanks
Old December 13th 03, 05:33 PM
bumper

"Steve B" wrote in message
om...
So I am not alone with the problem... sounds like a good way to
justify the upgrade to the B display.

This glider spent time in Tennesse but more recently in Wyoming. I was
curious if the problem was the display or the connections... it seems
that some channels are missing information. I would have guessed that
humidity would have caused a contact problem if at some point in the
construction there is a connector.

Thanks

Many LCD displays use a rubber strip thingy with embedded conductors to
connect between the thinly plated glass and circuit board. There is usually
some sort of clamping device, screws, metal or plastic clip, that holds the
sandwich together. If elements of the LCD display are missing or faded, the
fix may be to disassemble, clean all four contact surfaces with Q-tip and
alcohol or other suitable cleaner,. Make sure no lint or contaminants
remain, then reassemble and hope.
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Old December 13th 03, 08:28 PM
Dave Nadler YO

Hi Steve - Sorry it took a day to reply as I was travelling.
I did receive copies of your inquiry direct, from K&G,
from ILEC, and from R.A.S...

The LCD has "zebra" connections between the glass
and underlying PC board. It is possible to disassemble, clean,
and reassemble and also reset the proper clamping pressure,
but it is a real science project.

We can replace the LCD with a used one (trade-ins from "B"
upgrades) for the cost of labor plus shipping. I recommend
doing the "B" upgrade, as the screens are much nicer and
more reliable.

I'll contact you directly regarding costs, shipping, etc.

Happy Holidays,
Best Regards, Dave

Old December 14th 03, 07:15 AM
Steve B

Mr. Nadler was kind enough to offer advise regarding the problem. He
did mention that the display uses a "Zebra" connector. That is what I
think is the correct term for those thin cables that look like plastic
tape with a very fine group of conductive channels.

In the phone business I have found them to cause poor displays when
they make poor contact, either from not enough clamping pressure or
from oxidation.

He did mention that getting to the cable is a, quote, "Science
Project" as I am sure that things are tight and complex.

So far the folks that support the Ilec have been very helpful...

I am curious how much of a science project it is to get to the zebra
connector. I would like to clean it and see if that helps before I
pack it up and send it out for a new dislpay.

Thanks
Steve

Old December 14th 03, 09:06 AM
tango4

Hi Steve

you will find that the LCD is made of several major parts. A foundation PCB,
the glass display assembly, the backlight unit and the zebra connectors (
Silicon mouldings with carbon based conductors like bougicord plug leads )
and a pressed metal frame. The whole assemlbysandwich is usually held
together by tabs on the back of the metal frame passing through the PCB and
then being twised aside.

When reassembling it is important to align the glass part fairly closely
with the original position on the PCB. This is best done with the metal
frame in place but before retwisting the tabs. Care should be used when
cleaning the silicon zebras because beding and twisting can break the
conductivity of the vertical carbon connections.

om...

"bumper" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

A-6 Redar Display? Mike Kanze Naval Aviation 0 September 28th 04 01:34 AM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 03:54 AM
Problem: Ground Speed Estimate with Volkslogger and WinPilot RamyYanetz Soaring 3 August 26th 03 03:06 PM
Real World Specs for FS 2004 Paul H. Simulators 16 August 18th 03 09:25 AM