Engine rebuild costs

Old November 5th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z1

Default Engine rebuild costs

Does anyone have an idea of costs on a engine reuild / new engine for:

DG800/Ventus vs ASH26E
Old November 5th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/5/2010 12:51 PM, Z1 wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of costs on a engine reuild / new engine for:

DG800/Ventus vs ASH26E

You should contact Schleicher or Diamond Engines about the ASH 26 E
engine, as I think they are the only sources of new or rebuilt engines.
I'm sure it will cost more than the Solo engine for the other two
gliders, but I don't know what the costs a after 15 years and 150
hours (and 3000 on the glider), my ASH 26 E is still purring away.

What is your interest in these engines? If you are thinking of getting a
self-launcher, I suggest you go here to find the owner's group for the
ASH 26 E:

ASH 26E owners group http://groups.google.com/group/ASH-26E?lnk=li&pli=1

Here is the group for self-launchers in general, the Auxiliary-powered
Sailplane Association:

www.motorglider.org

It also has a discussion group, which you can find in the menu on the site.

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old November 5th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z1

On Nov 6, 9:59*am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 11/5/2010 12:51 PM, Z1 wrote:

What is your interest in these engines? If you are thinking of getting a
self-launcher, I suggest you go here to find the owner's group for the
ASH 26 E:

There's alot of these motorgliders for sale at the mo.. just after the
pro's/con's of the motors.

Thanks Eric for your reply i will chk the link provided...

Old November 6th 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

There's alot of these motorgliders for sale at the mo.. just after the
pro's/con's of the motors.

Don't have any of them myself... but I hear as much praise about the
26's setup as I've heard about problems with the rest. Speaking from
an anecdotal standpoint, the 26's Wankel arrangement seems superior.
Of course the electric option seems a superior choice to the Wankel,
and would certainly be my first choice if it were an option...

-Paul
Old November 6th 10, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/5/2010 8:58 PM, sisu1a wrote:
There's alot of these motorgliders for sale at the mo.. just after the
pro's/con's of the motors.

Don't have any of them myself... but I hear as much praise about the
26's setup as I've heard about problems with the rest. Speaking from
an anecdotal standpoint, the 26's Wankel arrangement seems superior.
Of course the electric option seems a superior choice to the Wankel,
and would certainly be my first choice if it were an option...

The much lower vibration of the Wankel rotary, compared to the two
stroke engines, greatly reduces vibration induced problems. Of course,
there is much more to a motorglider than the propulsion system, and the
26 E owner's group is a good place to discover these.

And please note the link to the "Guide" below. It's an excellent
resource for people that want to, or are already operating
self-launching sailplanes.

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old November 7th 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soarpilot

On Nov 6, 12:07*am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 11/5/2010 8:58 PM, sisu1a wrote: There's alot of these motorgliders for sale at the mo.. just after the
[...]

Funny how when someone asks anything in aviation regarding costs, the
the question. I know it is highly variable, I get that ... but does
ANYONE any longer answer a question rather than giving a reference?
Someone give the guy a figure please! even if its a long shot rough
estimate.
Old November 7th 10, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/7/2010 10:39 AM, soarpilot wrote:
On Nov 6, 12:07 am, Eric wrote:

Funny how when someone asks anything in aviation regarding costs, the
the question. I know it is highly variable, I get that ... but does
ANYONE any longer answer a question rather than giving a reference?
Someone give the guy a figure please! even if its a long shot rough
estimate.

Sorry, but a bad guess was not going to help the original poster, and I
didn't want affect anyone's decision (including those just reading these
postings) with poor information.

If the answer to a question is important to you, you should go to the
source and get a *good* answer. His question was just a starting point
in a process to determine if self-launchers were for him, and if so,
which one might be the best fit. My answers were offered to aid that
process.

For someone with simple curiosity like yourself, the "long shot rough
estimate" answer is "a lot" ;-)

Old November 8th 10, 11:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soarpilot

On Nov 6, 12:07 am, Eric *wrote:

[...]

See? a lot...there you go. At least that gives SOME information
rather than, well .... we'll let it go at that. Althouh, a lot is
relative and still ...
Old November 8th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

.... but does
ANYONE any longer answer a question rather than giving a reference?
Someone give the guy a figure please! *even if its a long shot rough

In the recent ASH-26 engine recall, it cost about $2800.00 to remove,
crate, ship, disassemble engine, replace crank, re-assemble, re-crate,
ship, install and test run the engine.
JJ
Old November 8th 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Nov 8, 6:04*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
... but does

ANYONE any longer answer a question rather than giving a reference?
Someone give the guy a figure please! *even if its a long shot rough

In the recent ASH-26 engine recall, it cost about $2800.00 to remove,
crate, ship, disassemble engine, replace crank, re-assemble, re-crate,
ship, install and test run the engine.
JJ

What were the reasons for the ASH-26 engine recall?

Thanks,
Craig