150's and 172's about the only planes flying!!

Old May 5th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Default 150's and 172's about the only planes flying!!

Morgans wrote:
"Margy Natalie" wrote

Also debuting this year for "Become a Pilot" (if we can get it done in
time) a C-150 inside the museum that, when staffed, kids will be able to
sit in and learn how to use the control surfaces. Of course right now
it's sitting in the barn, filthy and with no wings on. Guess what I'm
doing on Wednesday!

Your old 150?

No, it was in the collection, it belonged to a former curator. The
museum was fortunate enough to get Bill Kerschner's 150 and there can't
be two of the same in the collection so the other one was transfered to
education. It's going to be very nice to actually have a plane that
kids can touch. It's going to take lots of soap and polish. It's a
very average 150 that's been in storage for 20 years or so.

Margy
Old May 5th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Margy Natalie writes:

Damned but I hate to agree. Athough I think much of the computer craze
is now a cause. They are very attractive and everyone has one and they
are right there.

I'm sure people said the same thing about telephones and electricity in their
early days.

It should also be kept in mind that, like telephones and electricity,
computers are a means to an end, not an end in themselves. Working on a
computer could mean just about anything, since anything that involves
information can be put on a computer. So a kid could be looking for porn, or
doing research for school, or reading about sports, or learning calculus.
Just because he does it with a computer doesn't make it good or bad, any more
than having electricity in the house is good or bad.

Couple that with "don't go out until I get home from
work", "No friends over until I get home from work", etc. and you have
the perfect set up for computer kids.

True.

A friend who is a professor of
mechanical engineering summed it up quite well, she said, "computers
have been a leveler, it used to be girls couldn't DO anything, now no
one can DO anything". Refering of course to those basic skills our kids
no longer have (cutting, sawing, soldering, attaching, etc.).

There is less and less need for those skills, since most items today are
manufactured by semi-automated production lines. The average person will
never need to saw or solder anything, so the skill is not useful, and he won't
miss it if he doesn't have it.

I always had a model club at school and lots of people thought I was
nuts letting kids (7th and 8th graders) near exacto knives, etc. I
didn't have on injury (but I did lay the law down pretty thick).

If there had been an injury you would have been bankrupted by a lawsuit. You
were very brave.

Old May 6th 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Thu, 03 May 2007 10:03:58 -0400, Margy Natalie
wrote:

Another BIG problem with GA is we aren't getting enough kids involved.
The Young Eagles program is great, but it's not enough. Kids can't hang
over the airport fence anymore, model airplanes have just about died, RC

They do here and we even are installing a picnic area where the public
an sit and watch. I've taken a good many "fence hangers" for rides.

is expensive for a 12 year old. It used to be kids wanted to grow up
and learn how to fly and airplane, now they want to grow up to be a game
programmer. That's a problem! If you look at the kid's birthday party
supply places there are NO airplane things, and you can't buy an
airplane shaped balloon. That says a lot.

WARNING SHAMELESS PLUG FOLLOWS

So if you want to bring the kids out go to

http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/eventD...fm?eventID=602

It will be a great day for the kids! Kids = ages 1-101

Before you ask, all the fly-in spots have been filled for this event and
there is already a waiting list.

Margy

Old May 7th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Computers are the effect, not the cause. Kids resort to computers because
just about anything with the slightest element of risk is now forbidden to
them. Everything that requires movement or strenuous exercise or being
away
from constant supervision for more than a few minutes or involves any type
of
insurance or liability (which covers practically everything) is no longer
an
option. They live with their parents in a state of fear of everything,
and
about the only thing that carries very little risk is playing with a
computer.

Oh yeah, roller skates, bicycles, pogo sticks, 4 wheelers, skate boards, BB
guns, fireworks, baseball, football, RC airplanes, swimming pools, lawn
mowers, sling shots, go-carts, coaster cars, mini bikes, unicycles, play
grounds, tree swings, pocket knives, pet rodents, water skiing, horse back
riding, calf roping, and many others - have been outlawed for participants
less than 21 years old in the United States now for gosh, how many years MX,
I don't even recall.

Actually children that lock themselves in a room with a computer, and use it
for nothing more constructive than running flight simulator, and pretending
to be something their not on the Usenet, are actually few and far between.

Old May 7th 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-05-03, Jay Honeck wrote:
But you're right about computers. They have sapped the life out of
our kids, by allowing them to experience the world without ever
leaving their chairs.

You can always say $NEWTHING has sapped the life out of/displaced
$OLDTHING from our kids lives. Same thing was said about TV. Same thing
was said about books.

Computers greatly enhanced my life, not sapped it. I wrote my first
computer program age 8, on a Sinclair ZX-81. Computers allowed me to not
experience the world, but make new worlds (albeit very simple ones). It
opened a huge world of creative opportunity for me that otherwise
wouldn't have existed - since when writing a program, all you need is
time (and kids have a lot of it) and not money (which kids don't have).

There's nothing as much fun as seeing your friends play in a virtual
world _you_ invented.

I think it's pretty curmudgeonly to say computers "sap the lives from
our kids", they do nothing of the sort - in many cases, they greatly
enhance the learning and knowledge of our children. Few things stick
better than self-directed learning. There may be lots of hanging out in
IRC and on IM or playing games, but I see children of my friends
learning in ways that prior generations simply couldn't, and by and
large they are smarter for it.

Back to aviation - aviation is never going to be something with mass
appeal: it's a very unnatural thing for ground dwelling beings to do,
and most people find that flying as an experience spans from something
mildly uncomfortable to terrifying. Few people actually enjoy being in
the air. Face it: those of us who do are somewhat weird (in the nicest
possible way). Especially when you consider what we are prepared to
spend on ancient aircraft, costing three times as much as a Mercedes
Benz and not even having AC, let alone being quiet enough inside to
conduct a conversation without a pair of David Clamps. The economics
works against us: those of us free enough (i.e. young and not married)
typically can't afford it, those who are earning enough either have
kids, an unsupportive (of flying) spouse, or more frequently both, and
the older people who's children have left still have the unsupportive
spouse who wants to spend the money on the house, not a plane.

So you have to hook them young, before they get a spouse, so hopefully
one of their spousal qualifiers is "must be supportive of flying". Then
the rugged individualism of the pilot personality works against us: set
up a scholarship so that young people can learn to fly? No! Never! That
includes the dirty word "subsidy!"

The latter, however, is just what we may need. Our tiny glider club
(with only about a dozen regular members) has taught several teenagers
to fly who otherwise would never have been able to afford it thanks to a
scholarship fund run by the BGA. Perhaps there's therefore some hope
that soaring at least can keep interest in general aviation going
because it can hook interested people young. It's not enough to give
kids a flight in a Young Eagles type thing. While this is good, if we
want to keep a supply of new, young pilots - you have to give them a
reason to keep coming back to the airport.

Hopefully the Sport Pilot thing in the US may help, too, in making a
supply of somewhat affordable aircraft (even if the new sport aircraft
now won't be affordable until they are 20 years old). My own aircraft
turns 62 years old this November, the aircraft that I used to own turns
61 years old this year too. To many people in normal jobs who are less
than 35 years old, ancient aircraft are the only affordable ones -
this is not sustainable. We also need a supply of newer affordable
aircraft, and by affordable I mean must not cost significantly more
to buy than a midsized car. We need something new (or at least new-ish)
which is as much fun to fly as my elderly Auster, but without costing
more than a high end Mercedes Benz. While there's nothing wrong with our
old plane, the truth is the number of aircraft whose purchase price is
in that price bracket is falling all the time.

Old May 7th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Helmet law 150's and 172's about the only planes flying!!

Matt Whiting wrote:

I personally doubt it. Government rarely cedes control that it has
taken. Although it does happen occasionally. I was amazed when PA
repealed its helmet law a few years ago*. I still can't believe that
happened, but it does show that if enough people lobby long enough
they can occasionally make a difference. Maybe the same cam be true
with National. I'm just glad I made one flight in prior to 9/11. I
had to fly in at night as I couldn't get an IFR reservation until
after 7 PM in the winter, but it was a neat flight. I got to hold
over the city for a few minutes waiting for a break in the airline
conga line. I could see several of the monuments and buildings and
it was very cool.
* Just for the record, I'm a big believer in wearing a helmet while
motorcycling and bicycling and never ride without one, but I'm not a
fan of helmet laws for adults. I think adults should make that
decision for themselves. I am in favor of insurance companies
charging higher premiums for people who ride without a helmet, or
smoke, etc., but I much prefer to let the market deal with such
things rather than government. If someone is willing to pay the cost
of taking a higher level of risk, I say more power to them.

Matt

Arkansas got rid of the adult helmet law a few years back and in the very
same session of the legislature passed a much more stringent seat belt law.
The thing that was interesting was that they didn't really talk about
personal freedom with the helmet law. They just talked about tourism. Seems
Arkansas had lost a number of biker events because we had a helmet law.

Old May 7th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Morgans writes:

One BIG thing that pilots need to do, is to invite people along with
them, when they go flying.

In our fearful and litigation-oriented society, that's a great way
for a pilot to go bankrupt and never fly again, should even the
slightest thing go wrong during a flight (just having a passenger get
airsick would be enough).

Interesting statement. Do you have a single example of a GA pilot ever being
sued because a passenger got air sick?

Old May 7th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

Arkansas got rid of the adult helmet law a few years back and in the very
same session of the legislature passed a much more stringent seat belt
law. The thing that was interesting was that they didn't really talk about
personal freedom with the helmet law. They just talked about tourism.
Seems Arkansas had lost a number of biker events because we had a helmet
law.

It might also be because some groups have successfully argued that helmets
have been the cause of death in a number of motorcycle accidents, and there
is much less evidence to support the same claim against seat belts.

Old May 7th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Interesting statement. Do you have a single example of a GA pilot ever being
sued because a passenger got air sick?

Not offhand. But far more trivial events have triggered successful lawsuits.

Old May 7th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Maxwell writes:

Oh yeah, roller skates, bicycles, pogo sticks, 4 wheelers, skate boards, BB
guns, fireworks, baseball, football, RC airplanes, swimming pools, lawn
mowers, sling shots, go-carts, coaster cars, mini bikes, unicycles, play
grounds, tree swings, pocket knives, pet rodents, water skiing, horse back
riding, calf roping, and many others - have been outlawed for participants
less than 21 years old in the United States now for gosh, how many years MX,
I don't even recall.

They don't have to be outlawed to be forbidden.

low flying planes? Emily Piloting 8 October 16th 06 11:33 PM
Will these guys n gals be flying our planes next? Flyingmonk Piloting 3 February 5th 06 10:03 PM
From Giant Flying Boats to Rocket Planes. Gail Soaring 1 January 25th 06 09:51 AM
From Giant Flying Boats to Rocket Planes Gail Soaring 4 January 25th 06 09:50 AM
what's the THRILL of flying and planes? ks_av8r Owning 0 October 16th 03 01:27 AM